• TDI

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • IANTD

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • other

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IANTD isn't only a technical diving agency. IANTD Is The World's Largest Scuba Diving Training Organization Of Open Water, Nitrox, Enriched Air, Overhead Environment, Cave, Wreck, Rebreather, Trimix, Gas Blenders, Technical Scuba Divers, Instructors and Instructor Trainers and now Free Diving.

To see the courses, both non-technical and technical, click on THIS link.

I took my Enriched Air Diver class through PADI and I gained the skills and knowledge necessary to use nitrox. I took my Advanced EANX Diver class (and later Technical Cave and Technical Diver) through IANTD and further expanded my knowledge. Had I known that I could have taken non-technical EANX training through IANTD, I probably would have chosen to go the IANTD route rather than take it through PADI.

Just my opinion.

The impression I am getting from the responses and the poll is that outside of the fact that TDI don't do dives, that the basic syllabus is the same, and so the instructor (as well as the student) makes the difference.

I have recieved training from two schools and observed training at another. The first place I trained was a 5* resort and the instructor a MSDT, it was thorough and going by the opinions of my next instructor I had been well taught. The second instructor was a CD at a 5* CDC and i would rate him very highly. The third place (where I just observed some training) was multi-cert centre and the instuctor an OWSI, the syllabus bared no resemblance to what I had seen before and they generally seemed disinterested in the students. I had actually intended to do some training with this school but changed my mind.

From this limited experience I have started to draw a few conclusions, which are open for debate;
Schools; The more committed they are to the particular organisation then potentially the training will be more professional.
Instructors; the further they have progressed and the more experience they have (both in number of dives and variety) the better.

At some of the bigger schools I have seen, you can't meet the particular instructor as they don't know who it will be until the start of the course.

Because I do most of my training on holiday and the location can vary I am trying to find a way of predicting the quality of the course.

Sidebar; the CDC I mentioned also certified my girlfriend who is french, and although she lives in England and has near perfect English they assigned her a french instructor rather than put her with a group, when that instructor couldn't dive (congestion) they found her another instructor with some french and gave her one to one OW instruction. That to me is quality service.

Conor,

I disagree from several of your conclusions. Some of the worst instructors I know are CD's. BTW many have no other dive training. The last class they had that focused on dive skills was AOW.

It doesn't take much to be a 5 star shop. The problem with it though is you must agree not to teach another agencies recreational class. Sorry but I'll offer the class I think is best. The rest of the requirements are things like publishing a news letter, having certifies X number of student through the shop and stuff like that. Oh, you get a bigger discount on PADI products also.

I didn't realise that about CDs. I thought they had to go through all instructor rating including MSDT and as such are more likely to have made dive instruction their career. but I guess once they are qualifued as CD's they could make that an office job.

I see your point about the PADI store rating, I guess what I am trying to do is find a way of selecting a dive centre (or at least narrowing the field) for holidays, which is unfortunately when I do most of my diving. Would you say there is any relationship between CDC's and training quality ?

I was beginning to see a pattern based on my limited experience, because I usually spend the first day of my holiday visiting the centres and selecting which one to dive with and would rather spend that day in the water if possible. Have you any advice about how to select a dive centre based on what you can find on the internet ? or should I continue with one day of shopping around ?

Thanks

Conor

Conor,
I think selecting an outfit to dive with and selecting one to do training with are two different things.

For diving - In briefe ask the questions you need to to make sure they run a safe boat (equipment, staff, credentials, procedures) and are doing the kind of dives you want to do.

IMO in picking someone to train with there is no short cut. You need to talk to them. A PADI class for example is supposed to be like going to McDonalds in that you should know what your getting. If nothing else it should be consistant and you should be garanteed a minimum level of quality. But just as it seems the McDonalds fries I get are garbage lately training too is not consistant. IMO, you need to know what your getting and how it compares to others.

I am constantly amazed that all prospective students ever ask about is cost and schedule. They never ask how many divers I have killed this week. They never ask about staffing or staff credentials. They never ask anything. I have answered more questions about defog than I have our training philosophy.

Now look at what it takes to become an instructor. In OW you learn to dive oh, except most instructors think mastering buoyancy control and trim is beyond an OW student. The AOW have you watched advanced classes. They flounder around with their still far from perfected technique blundering through skills they aren't ready for. It's hard to navigate complexe patters if you can't hover. Next rescue. A good class but not much focus on dive skills. Then DM you get some experience supervising and learn to kneel and demonstrate skills. You are now ready for instructor training where they teach you to administer the system. Now you certify 25 divers and apply for 5 specialty teaching ratings and your a MSDT. Now you eligable to attend an IDC and become a staff instructor. Once you have certified 150 students you send in your money and you are now a master instructor and eligable to apply for CD training.

Where in this process did we make sure you are really a good diver? Where did we really make sure you can teach? This is why I see so many instructors who can't dive. This is why I talk to them about getting students balanced and trim and they don't have any idea what I'm talking about.

I don't mean to pick on PADI in some other agencies all you need is a freind who is an instructor trainer.

Mech I sent you a pvt msg on this just so i was sure it wouldnt be missed.

What kind of acceptance is there for multiple agency training...

by that i mean...

1. will padi recognize any training i get with another agency

2. will other agencies i go to for advanced training recognize my padi basic and advanced cards...and other specialty training i have taken...

3. how do boat cpts....resorts...yada yada...feel about multicard training...and does this question even matter

is there a more important question i didnt ask????

thanksssssssss

Thanks for that, I guess I had expected that at some point in instructor development someone would be deciding that your skills had reached a certain standard, but sounds like that is not the case.

I guess the best solution is to check out the facilities for diving, do a couple of dives and if they still look like a good operation then consider doing the training with them.

The benefit of my type of diving is that I get to see lots of interesting places, the down side is that I can occasionally end up with bad instruction, the price you pay I guess.

Thanks for the meta-instruction :), let me know if you ever teach in Europe

Conor

I am going to get nitrox certified in the spring and have two local options, a 5* PADI shop with which I did my AOW last fall and a GUE instrucor who runs a real low key shop out of his home, but seems to really know his stuff when it comes to diving philosophy and training. From what I've read here, I gather that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but I might try the GUE course just to get a taste of another agency.

ibnygator once bubbled...
I am going to get nitrox certified in the spring and have two local options, a 5* PADI shop with which I did my AOW last fall and a GUE instrucor who runs a real low key shop out of his home, but seems to really know his stuff when it comes to diving philosophy and training. From what I've read here, I gather that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but I might try the GUE course just to get a taste of another agency.

I do not believe GUE offers a basic nitrox course. He may well be a GUE instructor, but I think the course would be done under another agency.

As has been discussed in the thread, the basic nitrox is essentially a classroom class with a couple dives to verify the students abilities (if so offered).

MD

Back
Top Bottom