• TDI

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • IANTD

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • other

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conor

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing a nitrox course in the near future and although all my training so far is through PADI I was wondering whether it best to do their course or those offered by TDI or IANTD.

I am probably going to do a couple of more PADI specialties (deep and Wreck) as well as rescue, but I have an impression that if I want to advance technically then these other courses may be more valuable. Is this impression valid ?

Let me know what you think

on a related subject....two nice quotes from a TDI course over view
Students with unsafe attitudes do not get certified.
and
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT TRAINING IS PURCHASED BUT CERTIFICATION IS EARNED

Methinks that says a lot

If you are heading toward deep and wreck, I would go with IANTD, and continue with them for the more advanced courses. Although I am a PADI DM, I have done all the advanced and technical classes with IANTD and am happy with them.

MD

PADI is a good place for divers to start their training. Their dumbed-down approach provides landlubbers with enough knowledge to allow them to get a taste of the underwater world without killing themselves.

I consider PADI Rescue training to be the point at which someone can begin to call themselves a diver. I also think that this is about the point that divers should begin to look to other agencies for training. The PADI EAN course is fine - it covers the physics and that's what you need to know - but that's about the end of the line. Their other speciality training is typically money wasted, although a good instructor can make them worthwhile.

If you're considering any sort of technical diving, start looking to another agency. IANTD, TDI and, increasingly, GUE, are the prime candidates in the States, your neck of the woods may have other offerings.

Steven

and had an excellent experience. He gave me and my partner personalized classes and conducted them in my home.

Even better, he has a policy of letting students sit in for refresher training on any courses that they've previously completed.

The price was right, too.

Conor once bubbled...
on a related subject....two nice quotes from a TDI course over view
Students with unsafe attitudes do not get certified.
and
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT TRAINING IS PURCHASED BUT CERTIFICATION IS EARNED

Methinks that says a lot

I think Gillam (TDI) stlole those lines from Mount (IANTD). Most IANTD or TDI instructors are instructors with other agencies and can give you whichever card you want or multiple cards.

I worked up to Rescue Diver with PADI and then began my technical training with IANTD. People like to bash PADI, but PADI gave me the skills necessary to enter the IANTD training. IANTD took me to a whole new level. As has been discussed many, many times before, it is the Instructor that makes the difference. I happened to have been very fortunate to find a couple of very skilled PADI intructors and very skilled IANTD instructors. Whoever you choose and whichever agency you go with, I hope you have a good time and gain the knowledge you seek.

rush once bubbled...

I worked up to Rescue Diver with PADI

That's where I am with PADI. Got several specialties (Nitrox being one of them) as well because they were reasonably inexpensive, I could do them locally, and I think the instuctor is a pretty knowledgeable and consientious guy.

But, mostly as a result of this discussion board, I think I'd be better served to take any further advance classes with a more technically oriented program.

Conor once bubbled...
I am thinking about doing a nitrox course in the near future and although all my training so far is through PADI I was wondering whether it best to do their course or those offered by TDI or IANTD.

Although there are a few new concepts, there is absolutely nothing 'technical' about Beginning Nitrox and as such you won't necessarily fair better with a technical agency. If you have been happy with your instructor thus far, I would stick with him/her.

Don't think that because TDI and/or IANTD are technical agencies that you will get a better course or that it will better prepare you for technical diving. In fact, one could argue that the course offered by TDI, for example, is less thorough than the course offered by PADI, NAUI, SSI, or the Y. (TDI does not require any dives with their course.)

Hopefully, one day soon, nitrox will be part and parcel of Basic Open Water.

SA

IANTD allows the combination of nitrox and OW. There just aren't many shops teaching IANTD OW.

Back
Top Bottom