Which Manufacturer makes the best gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanic makes there own Regs. in Oakland CA

So far it looks like Poseidon, Deep Sea Supply, Oceanic, Aqualung (?), and Halcyon (not their plates or regulators).

The other guys have their stuff made here:

factory-workers.jpg

I don't think there is a best. I like Aqua Lung regulators, Cressi and (especially older) Mares BCD's, Suunto computers, but maybe I'd mention something else if my first kit was Scubapro reg, Oceanic BCD and Uwatec computer... I tried many brands, there were only very few items which I found uncomfortable. Surprisingly one of them was the redesigned Aqua Lung Mistral which was awful- but the Titan is still my favourite and I'm happy with mine...

Personally I've never been a fan of Oceanic gear,. I use Scubapro for my regs (Mk10/G250s), harnesses and one computer (Aladin 2G) and Dive Rite for the other computer (Nitek Trio). As for wetsuits I usew hatever fits and is reasonably priced since I go through them quickly. Fins, Apollo for regular use and Aqualung Blades for travel. I'd certainly consider buying Atomics of course.

I think mdb has the correct answer. The real distinction is between companies that practice excellent design, and those who simply buy generic gear from generic OEM suppliers.

It's too simplistic to talk about a product being "made" overseas. Even products made in the US typically have significant component manufacturing coming from all over the world. Atomic, who I'm working with now, makes their regulators and the Cobalt computer in the US- but individual components come from many countries. Their fins and masks and snorkels are molded overseas, but to their designs, under close supervision and with fanatic attention to design detail. That's very different from just ordering a container of McMasks from a generic molder and slapping your logo on them. And distinctions are not hard and fast- Oceanic is both a manufacturer in their own right and an OEM supplier to other brands. Some of the trendy-techy brands that are often mentioned have essentially no manufacturing ability, and contract everything- clearly their following is due to good design, not place of manufacture.

In regulators (as far as I know) Sherwood, being a huge valve manufacturer, did almost everything in house- apart from mining the metals, that is- and they don't usually make "best" lists. In the past I've personally worked with Poseidon, DUI, Viking, Zeagle, and a number of other equipment manufacturers, all of whom do or did their own manufacturing.

It's important to realize that one size does not fit all, there are different diving environments, and any best list is going to mostly reflect individual preferences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom