Which lift capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Goose75

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a low time diver completing my gear package. I found a great back inflate that I really like but am stuck deciding whether to buy 35lb lift or the 58lb lift version. Currently I dive cold water and am finishing my dry suit cert. Soon I will return to warmer and lighter waters. I already have my advanced cert and intend to pick up nitrox in spring. I want to eventually have cave and wreck, but am working up to them. I'm trying to choose between the two capacities thinking of now, but with an eye on the future. A dual tank band is available for this BC. I thought this board would be the best place to find the pros and cons between going with the 35lb or 58lb version. What are your thoughts?

What BC (make & model) is it? If you're planning single tank diving as well, 58lb sounds like too much.

What that 58 lbs isn't lifting is creating drag. Add up the bouyant weight of your kit,
including yourself. If 58 lbs is overkill go for the lesser. 35lbs is a decent amount of lift for most rec kits.

gfisher4792:
What BC (make & model) is it? If you're planning single tank diving as well, 58lb sounds like too much.

58lbs would be overkill for single tank diving. If you plan to move into doubles 58lbs would be on the money. I am curious about the brand of your rig and whether it would be able to properly support single and double tank applications (if that is your future interest).

The difference in drag would be negligible unless there is a dramatic design difference between the two.

--Matt

The BC is the DUI Delta. I liked the adjustable weight harness/belt, the rings and the weight release. I think from the comments I'll go with the 35lbs and if I need more in the future, I can get a second one.

Dearman:
The BC is the DUI Delta. I liked the adjustable weight harness/belt, the rings and the weight release. I think from the comments I'll go with the 35lbs and if I need more in the future, I can get a second one.

The BC techs can chime in with the latest but most BC's, even though they may offer a means to attach doubles, cannot safely handle the weight. My double alum 80's with bands/manifold/etc. weighs 96lbs. You would not want to strap this kind of weight to a plastic BC frame support.

--Matt

Dearman,

I'd do just what you have decided. Get the 35lb. BC for singles (to start using now), and get the 58 lb. BC later when you decide to dive doubles. 58lbs. is way too much lift for diving a single IMO. But make sure the 58lb. BC can handle doubles.

Scubaroo,

Thanks for the links. I was wondering about this product.

Back
Top Bottom