Which Island do you prefer- Big Island or Maui for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from Diving Maui and I have dove the Big Island a couple of times. I would say the Big Island is the way to go especially if you plan to do some shore diving on your own. It can be done on Maui as I just did (5 caves) (along with 4 back wall Molokini dives from Ed Robinson and B and B) but shops are not too helpful when you want to go out on your own in Maui. (They are happy to provide a guided beach dive for fee) I would research the shore dives on the Big Island and go there. It also really depends on conditions too, last week on Maui there was one good day for shore diving, then a swell came in and mucked it all up. Have fun!

Thanks, guys! I'd LOVE to do a week on both islands, but we have a big trip to Australia and Fiji in the fall...trying to get away this winter without breaking the bank! We have FF miles to get to the islands, just want the best bang for the buck. Good beach diving would be ideal, we've been shore diving a few times on the BI and found it pretty tough to get in and out of the water with our camera equipment over all the rocks!

The picture of the Carthiginian ROCKS! LOve the eagle rays sailing by...beautiful! Rminds me of a picture I took on Oahu on the Mahi...

By the way if you have suggestions for locations to beach dive- I'd love to hear them! I'm assum ing La Perouse ould be a good spot, and mile marker 14 was highly touted for snorkeling when we were there in 99...

Thanks, scubaskipper- we've been on the manta dive twice and the Black Water dive once. Would love to do the Black water dive again- amazing!

Thanks also to vanisleboy for the link!

I've dove both and have a hard time deciding which I prefer. Very different above and below. I'd say if you've been to the BI a few times check out Maui and decide for yourself.

I prefer the BI for the ease of shore diving and the water and reef quality, but Maui ain't bad (just a distant second...). Honolua Bay way north is pretty fun, both sides. Anywhere you can get in the water south of Kihei has been interesting - try the beach access at any of the hotels, and beyond to the south - though in my few trips viz wasn't nearly as good as the BI. I haven't explored the northern district as much as down south.

just got back from diving big island...love em both for different reasons. the shop you go through is going to influence your experence. if you haven't been to maui...go to maui, check out molokini, or even lanai. the wife have enjoyed some great shore dives on lanai. get your tanks at the ferry landing.
laytah
steve

Back
Top Bottom