Which Island do you prefer- Big Island or Maui for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't dived the Big Island, but I've done Maui a lot.

The Molokini dives are fun and very easy. I have been out with three operators there, B&B, Ed Robinson and Mike Severns. I wouldn't classify any of them as "cattle boats", although they aren't six-packs. B&B does seem to have a few more beginners on the boats than Mike Severns does, but all the ops seem to do a pretty good job of splitting the boat up into groups of relatively similar people. That said, if you are serious photographers and like to sit in one place for quite a while, the dives are unlikely to be paced for you -- and they are all guided.

My husband and I, these days, do primarily shore diving. There are some VERY nice sites to shore dive, with nice facilities and easy entries. Where you go and which shop you use depends on where you stay, but we stay south and use B&B for rentals, and they have gone way out of their way to help us (like the time we forgot our yoke adapters, and they took the valves out of a pair of Al100s and changed them for us!) The Maui Shore Dives book is available at their shop and is an excellent reference, with navigational information for the reefs. We have seen many turtles, and spotted eagle rays, and even a monk seal when shore diving.

Good luck with your decision!

I like the Big Island much better.

If you do choose Maui then Makena Charters, arranged through Maui Dive Shop, did me well for a trip of 4 divers. Also, try to go on a trip to the Cathedrals by Lanai from Maui. It is an all day trip with phenomenal dives through eroded lava tubes. Great photo ops. You'll be on the boat with a few people but it is not really a cattle boat.

Really though, I've been all over and would pick Kona over anywhere! We got certified there too.

Kona, hands down. The total experience of under and above water will never be boring. Once you have been to Maui a couple times (and been stuck in endless lines of rental car traffic) you have probably seen all the good stuff above water.

You'll never run out of stuff to see on the Big Island.

Ive been to both several times. I guess it's a toss up. We really like Kaalapani area, last time we rented a Harley for a couple of days. The beach is really nice at Black Rock. The road to Hana has some interesting stops. Lahina has a lot of eatery choices. Molokini backside is great, also "end of the island" off the north west corner of Molokini, usually sharks, whale songs and other subjects like frog fish and eels. It's been about 5 yrs. since I've been to St. Anthonys wreck (my wife loved it for the turtles).
We like the B.I. as the dophin possibilities near "point of refuge" is awesome, Mantas are really something and love the volcano.

I guess you might ask what do you like better an orange or an apple?

Image349.jpg

Kaanapali beach
Image182.jpg

Molokini from the air
Image164-1.jpg

Rainbow Eucalyptus/Road to Hana
Image378.jpg

Image200copy.jpg

Point of Refuge
Image084.jpg

Kaanapali beach
Image446.jpg

Great sunsets off the beach at Kaanapli
Image180.jpg

I have been to both islands and look forward to go again to both islands. But if I am planning to dive nice site and money is an issue I would return to the Big Island first. There are good shore dives with GPS locations for both islands on shorediving.com. Must of the dives I want to do on Maui are boat dives and that will increase the costs. But when I am on the Big Island I have always found good dives on shorediving.com that can be for just the cost of your gas. If you are looking for a good shop with decent prices and will help you out try call Tim at South Kona Scuba. Has always treated me very good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom