Which is warmer: 7mm semi-dry or 5mm with hooded vest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jameseg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm interested in doing a little more cold and temperate water diving. Probably Lake Superior (summer only) and southern Californa (spring to fall), maybe some other places. I've dove both places in a rented 7mm, and ranged from ok to quite cold. I assume, though, that rental wetsuits are probably not especially high-end, and possibly compressed from frequent use.

My question is this. I have a 5mm Pinnacle. If I throw a 7mm hooded vest on top, is that going to keep me fairly warm? Or would I be better off looking at something like a full 7mm semi-dry?

I know a drysuit is the obvious choice here, but that's not in the budget right now. Also concerened about potential damage and extra bulk when traveling, as trips to California will not be purely for diving.

Dives will probably be limited to 2 a day, and likely not more than a dozen or so in a year. For that reason I don't want to go too crazy on cost.

Any advice much appreciated.

James

My question is this. I have a 5mm Pinnacle. If I throw a 7mm hooded vest on top, is that going to keep me fairly warm? Or would I be better off looking at something like a full 7mm semi-dry?

a Good Quality 7mm Semi-dry will be a lot warmer, they usually run $400 and up. I know what you stated but save up the coin and go Dry! They hold up fine to travel, I take mine everywhere I go! I haven't dove went in over 6 yrs.

Any good quality hoodie is going to make a big difference in retaining heat compared to not having any. Any good quality semidry is going to be warmer that a 5mm wetsuit.

How cold are you? You could just try adding a 5 or 7mm hoodie, this is also the cheaper option depending on how cold you get. If this is not enough go for a semidry or even a drysuit depending on your budget. Maybe even both if you roll in it $$$$$

I dive in an environment where the water temp during winter times rarely drops below 8 Celsius or 46F and is around 24C or 75F in summer. I can configure my exposure requirements between these temp ranges using either 5 or 7mm hoodie with a wetsuit, or the same hoodie choices with a drysuit depending on what I need. Through in a semidry into the mix and you have endless configuration options!!!!! Having a good quality hoodie makes a big difference in heat retention!!!

Hope you find something that is cost effective and functional.

I have done 50 degrees in my 5mm ME with 5mm hooded vest and a chemical heater, but only single rather short dives

The hooded vest definitely adds to the comfort so you will probably want one regardless of whether your full suit is 5 or 7mm. Add a gallon or so of warm water into the suit before you take the plunge and a heater or two (Amazon.com: Quantum Re-Heater Instant Heat Pack, 5 x 9 Pak for Legs & Arms: Health & Personal Care) and then limit number of dives, depth, and time as necessary and you may be able to get by until you can afford that drysuit or swear off of cold water.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I was probably overly optimistic in thinking I could use the same exposure protection for Superior (probably mid 40s) and California (high 50s or low 60s). And if I am going to use the same wetsuit, looks like I should start with a good 7mm.

Northern California Kelp Diver 46-52F as low as 44F at depth during the summer. A 7mm semidry will not cut it. You need an 8-9mm semidry for mid 40s. Take a look at my profile. I use a 9mm semidry. Some SoCal 5mm divers use a shorty when diving NorCal.

Back
Top Bottom