Which is better an aluminum backplate or a SS Backplate?

Which type of material for a backplate is better?

• Aluminum is better

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Stainless Steel is better

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonscubas

Contributor
Reaction score
What's the difference other than weight, aren't they both strong? Is it just because you get to use less weight with one versus the other?

Will you tend to go less face forward in the water if you opt for the SS backplate because the stainless would improve your trim?

What's the difference? What's all your opinions. A few people I know only dive aluminum. Their reasons are many, but one is obviously the difference in cost.

jonscubas wrote...
Which is better an aluminum backplate or a SS Backplate?
Yes.

Seriously though, in my case the SS is better when I'm diving dry or with a heavy wetsuit because of the extra weight it takes off my belt and places it where I need it the most.

In situations with a very thin wetsuit, the SS may weigh too much, leaving me with no ditchable weight. That's where the AL comes in.

Need 6 pounds negative or more, go with stainless. Need under 4 pounds go with Aluminum. Need between 4 and 6, toss a coin!

Now the determination of just what you NEED is another matter entirely!

FT

There is no answer to your poll. It depends on too many different issues. Everyone is different and needs are different for the types of diving that you do.

I use both. The AL for doubles and a drysuit. SS for single tank diving.

They're both bulletproof, and most backplates are pretty much the same.

I like and use the SS just because of the weight. I've heard from some that there is a chemical reaction that can occurr between AL/metal and saltwater if you don't rinse your gear off thorougly after diving. Don't know if that is true or not, the weight issue was my main reason for going with SS.

I like the SS BP for the extra weight in salt water.

It make obvious sense why. Overall it seems that I just want to see how I can weigh myself properly without being too overweighted, and still be neutral with the least amount of effort or tweaking.

I just collected my new titanium alloy backplate. 70 % aluminum, 30 % titanium.

Buoyancy is abt 1 lb -ve, useful for travelling, yet won't pitt like aluminum.

Here's a pic

I don't own a BP. However, I will confess to watching DIR 3 wherein George III makes the comment that you would be better off with aluminum. People definitely buy more stainless. I wonder what GI3's reasoning was.

From my short experience with a stainless BP and STA, I did find myself overweighted with no extra weight in fresh water wearing a 3 mil full plus a 3 mil shortie. That was in Akumel. In all fairness, I would have worn a thicker suit that day if I had one.

In salt water with a 3 mil shortie I needed only 2# of lead to get down with that rig, possibly less but there were no 1# weights around to try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom