SS v. aluminum backplate - help me think this through

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric802

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I’m looking at the HOG BP/w systems. I’ve had it in my head that a SS backplate is the way to go, since it puts more weight on my back and less lower down in pockets or on a belt. But, for travel purposes obviously an AL backplate would be lighter, and a couple pockets on the cam bands would put the weight right back where I‘d want it. Are there other pros and cons of stainless vs. aluminum that I should be thinking about? At the end of the day, does the ease of traveling with a lighter plate tip the scales in favor of AL?

Steel is only an issue traveling if it pushes over the checked luggage weight limit. Even then, putting things like torch bodies in carry on leaves room weight-wise.

I’m looking at the HOG BP/w systems. I’ve had it in my head that a SS backplate is the way to go, since it puts more weight on my back and less lower down in pockets or on a belt. But, for travel purposes obviously an AL backplate would be lighter, and a couple pockets on the cam bands would put the weight right back where I‘d want it. Are there other pros and cons of stainless vs. aluminum that I should be thinking about? At the end of the day, does the ease of traveling with a lighter plate tip the scales in favor of AL?
Are you diving a thin wetsuit, a thick wetsuit, or a drysuit? Something else?

I assume you are diving a single cylinder. Is it aluminum, or steel?

rx7diver

Al plate 2lbs, common SS plate 5ish lb, skeleton type SS 3ish lb, the SS is just a little heavier and almost 100% negative so you add less lead to dive, aluminum is less negative and more prone to corrosion, not a big deal but a deal none the less.

I have one of each. The aluminum is great if I'm checking gear and need to keep weight down. The ss is great for basically having built in lead. It's fine if I'm carrying on my gear and weight isnt criticsl. Either will get the job done.

Like mentioned above, what suit are you wearing? And how much weight do you need, with a steel or aluminum tank,

If you just use a shorty and a steel tank, more than likely you will want an aluminum plate...
if you do the same thing with an aluminum tank, you may want a ss plate, but then you probably will not have ditchable weight.....
If you dive dry you probably want ss plate,

Or even better get both one for traveling one for home..:wink:

I don't travel much. But when I do, I take my ss plate

what I’m wearing will vary, so I left it out. I have a 5mm full suit, but my last couple dives were in Aruba and I just wore a swimsuit. I think I could almost go without any extra weight if I was just in a swimsuit and had a 6lb plate.

Unless you are doing the classic american thing of taking EVERYTHING in carry-on...

I have buddies who can travel with jetfins, drysuit, steelplate and full cavegear for 2 weeks holiday on a 23kg check-in bag. (I like comforts, like hammock... and photography... and stuff... and I am a horrible last minute packer... so I need two bags... If I followed the written plan (i never do... unless diving) I would manage with 1 bag and a steel plate)
Personally I have both alu and steel. Never use the alu for other purposes than moving unused doubles around the house. For diving, foreign and domestic, warm, salt, fresh, cold, shorts, drysuit... steel plate.

I have both, I don’t even remember when did I use AL plate last time. SS is my go to. If first BP, I highly recommend SS, in the future other variations can be added.

I used a Dive Rite aluminum plate in the mid-1990's when drysuit diving (wet hood and wet gloves) with manifolded HP100's and HP120's in the Great Lakes. Drysuit was a DUI compressed neoprene suit. I used a weightbelt with not much Pb (not more than a dozen lbs, IIRC).

I used the same Al plate with a thin wetsuit and manifolded Al 80's for my one extended range dive in Grand Cayman.

This Al plate worked perfectly for me for both types of diving.

I purchased a Halcyon SS doubles plate a long time ago, used it once with a single OMS/Faber LP 125, and immediately set it on the shelf! (It's out in the garage, somewhere.)

I plan on using my Dive Rite Al doubles plate with my LP50 doubles whenever (if ever) I get around to switching out my U.S. Divers solid bar, single outlet manifold and switching in my OMS doubles manifold with isolation valve.

It seems to me that an aluminum doubles plate will provide you the most options.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom