SS v. aluminum backplate - help me think this through

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought a used SS that was made by someone on Scubaboard. I can’t believe the difference in weight- yes I know there is significant difference, so I still use my Al plate for travel and will use the SS plate for when I go lake diving in the cold Canadian lakes:) In the end it’s easier to travel without the extra weight and just use the weights on the dive boat on my cam bands and weight belt. This works for me, the occasional recreational diver.
I am glad I have both.

I’m looking at the HOG BP/w systems. I’ve had it in my head that a SS backplate is the way to go, since it puts more weight on my back and less lower down in pockets or on a belt. But, for travel purposes obviously an AL backplate would be lighter, and a couple pockets on the cam bands would put the weight right back where I‘d want it. Are there other pros and cons of stainless vs. aluminum that I should be thinking about? At the end of the day, does the ease of traveling with a lighter plate tip the scales in favor of AL?

Sorry, I didn't read through all the responses, so maybe someone already mentioned this, but I'd recommend you stay away from HOG (Edge Gear) BP. Their wings are fine, but backplates suck. I have their aluminum and SS plates and they're stamped plates with sharp edges. I ended up buying other plates, which are much better. A generic SS plate for my singles setup and a CF plate for doubles. The cost was similar to HOG, but the quality is head and shoulders better, on both.

There's nothing special about a standard plate, but I'd definitely recommend something with nice eased/chamfered edges. It'll protect you, your wetsuit, your harness, etc. Depending on your budget, there are lots of options.

The wing from HOG though is fine and I have both 32lb and 23lb wings. Now that I have a lot more experience I'm much more partial to Dive Rite and in some cases Halcyon (among many other brands).

When I first started I bought into the marketing that HOG was what technical divers use and so I thought if it's good enough for them, then it's good enough for me. Welp... now that I'm a technical diver and have a lot more experience, have seen TONS of gear configurations, etc... I buy other products. To each their own though. I'd still shy away from their BP!

P.S. As far as SS vs aluminum... you won't know until you try. For travel, neither. For drysuit SS all day long. For wetsuit it depends on your body and your choice of cylinders. For aluminum SS, for steel...depends. If money is a concern, buy a used one in the classifieds (they don't go bad) and try it. My son dives aluminum with an AL63 tank and even that's too heavy for him. I dive SS with an LP95 and its' about right. I can't sink with an SS plate and an AL80 for example, not without additional weight.

I know this is rather long, but hopefully it helps. Good luck! :)

I’m looking at the HOG BP/w systems. I’ve had it in my head that a SS backplate is the way to go, since it puts more weight on my back and less lower down in pockets or on a belt. But, for travel purposes obviously an AL backplate would be lighter, and a couple pockets on the cam bands would put the weight right back where I‘d want it. Are there other pros and cons of stainless vs. aluminum that I should be thinking about? At the end of the day, does the ease of traveling with a lighter plate tip the scales in favor of AL?
I have the HOG TBC with a SS plate. I prefer the SS because it gives me the trim and horizontal position without my legs hanging way down. It's not that big of a deal with travel weight for me because I always carry my reg set and other smaller weighted items like a torch or my computer in a backpack so it's always with me. Also, it allows carrying much less pocket weight which helps with trim and streamlining. If you travel a lot HOG also has the Travel Pro BCD and NO I do not work for HOG...LOL
Happy and Safe Diving!

Back
Top Bottom