Which gun to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarnett51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been spearfishing for 20 years but always in the lakes around Arkansas. I'm going to the Gulf and want to get something suitable. However I have no idea what I need! My primary gun is a wooden biller 32". This will be to small.

Can you make a recommendation? I'm looking into the Gen 2 80cm. But I'm not sure if thats what I need. I also could use some help with shaft and band recommendations. I noticed their were several options when I do to order.

Thanks!
Bob

Bob:

Thanks for the inquiry! What is your expected visibility in the Gulf? The Gulf of Mexico offers a huge diversity of conditions, so the most important thing to know is the expected visibility. Next would be the type of fish targeted.. (Probably grouper snapper AJ Cobia). Also what environment? Freediving in blue water, scuba around a reef or oil rig?

All our spearguns are made AFTER you place the order, so we can rigg up a gun to meet your specific needs without charging anymore than our normal value pricing, but we do need to get a little more information to make the best recommendations. We are very happy to take the time to answer all your questions and make sure you get the gear that meets your needs and budget.

MAKO

Thanks! Vis varies from 30-80' but usually on the lower end. I'll be scuba diving mainly off of wrecks and you nailed the species.

This is my first time hunting in the ocean but already have plans for several trips this summer. All in the same conditions.

OK that helps a lot..Optimal size is probably 110 cm. Simplest and most inexpensive set up is simply a Hawaiin Flopper and shaft. Single wrap of line. Two 16 mm bands.. probably ask for us to make them medium tension. (We hand make all bands only when the gun is ordered, so they are super fresh). Just give us a call by phone to specify band tension preference (we can go long. medium or short)...

Open or closed muzzle is a personal preference thing. Open muzzle is more popular by a large margin, but some scuba divers prefer a closed muzzle.

Although you mentioned the Predator 2 G gun (our least expensive).. you might want to consider the ETR gun in the same length. The fully enclosed track will be easier and faster to reload, and it allows freeshafting.. if you should ever want to try that... it is rather common for experienced scuba divers in the gulf to target snappers and groupers with a freeshaft....It is a unique gun, nobody else has a comparable gun. It costs more tod evelop and manufacture, so it is more expensive, but might be worth considering, if your budget is there..

Thanks so much for the help. Ill give you call after I look them over tonight. I was going on the cheap end of the spectrum simply bc I will rarely use the gun. Maybe 2 trips a year However, I am certainly not ruling out the others. Talk to you soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom