Which do you prefer? night diving or daytime dives and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k ellis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just out of curiosity how many night divers are here and why do you prefer that over day diving or vice versa?

I'm not sure I prefer one over the other. Daytime dives on interesting structure with a lot of ambient light are wonderful, but I have to say I think you see more wildlife at night. Things like octopus and wolf eels are more active at night, and a lot of things that hide during the day are out and about in the dark.

I was thinking the same thing about the life. It seems like all during the day you see is fish and so forth but at night I think it seems like you see more Bottom crawlers and so forth. I also like the fact of night diving you dont get sun burnt LOL

I prefer day diving. I have a touch of claustrophobia, and I'm a huge chicken in general, so I'm always worried that Jaws is hovering just beyond my flashlight. And on my last night dive (in Bonaire) I swam right into a sea wasp... so that didn't exactly help give me warm & fuzzies about night diving either.

That said, you see lots of different activity & life at night, which is cool. There's one site very close to us that is barren during the day, but awesome at night. So, I suppose I'll gather up my courage and go on another night dive again. After I forget the experience with the sea wasp. And double check that Jaws isn't patrolling the LA coast. :p

Ok I guess I am land locked so help me here. What is a sea wasp?

Also claustrohobia is something I can understand. You think its bad to dive in the ocean like that I certified in a local lake and viz just before sundown was like 5 feet at best. The lakes dont seem impressing at night but from what all my research suggest the ocean is as diffrent as Night and day. I think when I get back to the salty water I will give it a try

heck once I'm two feet under it's all the same to me.....day-time / night-time...still dark.

Night diving :) That is when the cephalopods come out.

Ok I guess I am land locked so help me here. What is a sea wasp?

Sea Wasps are smaller, almost invisible jellyfish that are attracted to light. They think your dive light is the Moon, and they are ascending to feed. They are hard to spot even though they can range from 1/2" to the very rare 3 feet long. Most have bodies the size of a clear square-ish egg and 4 thin tentacles extending 8" down.

In 1000+ night dives, I may have been zapped once. It's nothing more than a sharp quick pain and a lingering owie for most divers. Try not sucking them into your snorkel. I have seen that and it had a bad outcome for both parties. Jellies can not pop you through something even as thin as pantyhose. There are a few different ointments that you may use to protect yourself in advance. Benadryl works as an after treatment.

Do I "prefer" night diving? I never miss one. I hate resorts that trumpet that "their night dive" is on Wednesday. Bad sign.

We amazed the staff at Atlantis in Philippines in that we wanted to go out every night for 7 days straight. They gladly made it happen, but we were viewed with mild curiosity. It was spectacular.

We go to CoCoView every year. I have seen better diving, even in the Caribbean, but the access 24/7 to a great shore dive (night dive) is what brings us back. Getting in that 5th dive on any given day is quite a way to end the day. Then- there's the people who go back out at 4 a.m.

Ask them if they like night diving!

Depends on the site. Beach diving here in Redondo is a night time affair. I do dive in the day, but generally just to get wet, not because there is anything worth seeing.

Other places (French Polynesia, Hawaii, etc.) I prefer diving in the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom