Which Dive School in Seattle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N2OACCORD

New
Reaction score
Im just starting out and I don't know which shcool to choose for the Open Water Course?

Seattle Scuba includes all the personal gear so I don't have to buy anything for the course.

But all others are about $100 less but I have to buy mask, snorkel, fins, gloves and boots.

Help...any suggestions on schools?

Thanks! :confused:

Im just starting out and I don't know which shcool to choose for the Open Water Course?

Seattle Scuba includes all the personal gear so I don't have to buy anything for the course.

But all others are about $100 less but I have to buy mask, snorkel, fins, gloves and boots.

Help...any suggestions on schools?

Thanks! :confused:
Don't look at the school ... look at the instructor. Even within the same shop, the quality of class you get will vary from one instructor to the next. Interview your instructor. Ask about how much pool time, what emphasis they place on skills, how large the classes will be, and what the class schedule looks like. Base your decision on their answers. Different people learn best in different ways, and only you can tell if the instructor's approach to the class will best fit your learning style.

As far as costs go, make sure to ask them not only about their requirements for student gear, but about the price for student kits as well. Most classes usually don't include student materials in the quoted price of the class, and the student kit can be marked up considerably to make up a profit margin that they're not charging you for the class.

Consider other options ... check with your local YMCA for class availability. The YScuba program is comprehensive ... and priced very competitively with dive shops. It's often the least expensive option of all, in fact ... and they've been around longer than any of the dive agencies the shops use.

PM me for specific suggestions if you like ... I'm an independent instructor in Federal Way, and have connections with a lot of dive shops and independent instructors locally. Depending on where you live and what you're looking for, I can offer a few alternatives and you can contact each of them individually.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

N2OAccord, meet Bob aka NWGratefulDiver. One of the finest instructors in the Pacific Northwest! Not too long ago, I was in the market for an Advanced Open Water instructor. Bob came along, answered some of my questions, and someone suggested that I take his course. To date that was the single best thing I've done with my diving! Bob is a great guy, and a good teacher. If he can't help you out, he certainly knows who can. Plus, because he's an independent instructor, you can avoid all the High Pressure Dive shop sales. Bob, and the other independent instructors in the area are focused on Selling QUALITY training, not Brand X dive gear.

Welcome to the world of Scuba! And welcome to the Board!

I don't think Bob is doing much basic OW teaching these days -- Are you, Bob?

OP, one thing to take into consideration is location. As you know, the Seattle metropolitan area is big, and traffic can be bad. As some classes meet in the evenings for classroom and pool work, commute time becomes a consideration.

I know instructors I would recommend from downtown through Smokey Point, but I don't know anybody in the south end except Bob.

The instructor and class size is a very important criteria. Cheaper classes rely heavily on divemasters, and their quality and experience varies widely. Check into the amount of actual pool time and check out dives you'll get. Paying more for a class that teaches you from the get-go in a drysuit is worth the extra cost as well.

MY GF had a good class from Silent World in Bellevue, but Seattle Scuba has had good reviews from what I've heard.

Jack

This is solid advice. If you'd like my recommendation, feel free to PM me as well. I know Pez is the same way. It's ALL about who your instructor is - some instructors do a MUCH better job of preparing their students than others. There are certainly a few instructors I'd be willing to send family and loved ones to and many I would not.

Please keep us posted on what you find and, again, for personal recommendations feel free to PM.

I would look at a lot of different things...

First, do you want to use a mask someone else has spit in? It has been my experience that most rental masks don't fit, and leak. Personal gear is exactly that. Having your own mask, snorkel, fins and boots is going to make diving a lot more comfortable. Spend the money and get stuff that fits you properly and is comfortable.

Second, ask how large the class is. A comfortable size is 4-6 students per instructor. Ask how many assistants there will be available.

Third, look at the rental equipment you will be using and what kind of shape it is in. This is what is keeping you alive underwater. You can tell the difference between well-mantained equipment and stuff that should have been retired 10 years ago. Older gear is still good, as long ask it has been maintenced regularly.

If you are prone to cold, consider paying extra and get certified in a drysuit. With the weather getting warmer, you would do well getting certified wet though. Many of us dive wet in the summer.

As Lynn mentioned, with the cost of gas, location is a consideration. If you live DT Seattle, and you drive elsewhere, the cost of fuel should be considered.

The most important factor to consider is the instructor. Bob is a great instructor but there are several talented individuals in the Pacific Northwest. There are several threads on this board that list questions you should ask and how to find a good instructor. I would take a look.

Congrats on learning to dive. You are going to love it.

I would be careful in selecting an open water course especially if you plan to dive in the Puget Sound. A few dollars here or there shouldn’t be the driver in making your decision considering that you are learning how to use life support equipment. My advice would be to look for an instructor that you feel comfortable working with and a class pace that is comfortable for you.

I recently got re-certified and my girlfriend took her first OW course. We chose Silent World in Bellevue because the pace of the course (class spread over a month) was a good fit for her level of comfort and we could take the dry suit course while taking the open water class. They also seem to be very committed to training divers to be comfortable with the skills required to dive in the conditions here in the PNW. When my girlfriend was still not ready for the open water after the pool sessions they had her repeat the course in the next cycle free of charge which was truly appreciated.

N2O, craig at seattle scuba schools has been instructing for many years continously.
Ask the dive school to give the instructor number to you and see how long they have instructed,and see if any complaints have come abou.

Theres no reason to blow money on any gear until you find out your happy and comfy underwater.

Mexico is about $30.00 a day for gear rental, I don't take gear anymore, (just to much gear lugging around on vacation).

NOW if ya have some cash buy your gear and dive here where you live, shore diving is plenty full.

Getting certified is first step, learning to dive is second step, your life has now changed forever is third step.

Happy Dive Class

I trained at Seattle Scuba for my OW and AOW and had a great experience there. I haven't had any experience with the other schools yet so I can't comment on what you may find there.

It is very easy to get addicted to this cold water and what it brings, Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom