Which Dive Equipment Insurance do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc (and others on this thread):
According to various searches I've done, Vicencia and Buckley do offer an equipment protection plan, though I'm not sure it's through PADI. It's not on their web site and they haven't returned my call yet so I don't know the terms. But I did find an alternative to the DEPP policy at www.h2oinsurance.com. I was wondering if you know anything about this and how it compares to the DEPP policy. I got a premium quote of $99 for my $3,500 worth of equipment, so it's slightly higher than DEPP, but there's nothing listed about a deductible per claim, which DEPP has and that can raise the cost considerably for flooding damage. Any opinion?

Hi kwinter,

Yes, I just wrote a detailed comparison of the DEPP & DAN H20 policies, and there are some quite important differences.

The article is in the current (Apr '02) issue of "Undercurrent" http://www.undercurrent.org/.

Enjoy.

DocVikingo

Is there any way to "read" the article? I have subscribed to the online format, however the article comparing the two plans is not available yet.
Thank you for your help - will be diving Hawaii in 3 weeks with some new digitial equipment and would like to have insurance for it before I go.:help:

Hi diverthom,

Yea, the Undercurrent webmaster only works it very part time, so there is a 2-3 month lag between pulp edition & when it hits the online archives.

Let me check my files at home & see if I have it on a disk somewhere.

Digital Hawaii, eh? Sounds like great fun. Enjoy.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Since I am about to move to a new apartment, I called USAA who issued my renter's insurance to update my policy.

During the conversation, I asked about loss of personal property, including scuba equipment. And specifically about theft, baggage loss, knocking off of boat, etc. According to the agent I spoke with, I am covered worldwide no matter where I am or what I'm doing since Scuba gear is considered personal property by them.

Their official definition is "Personal Property Off Premises". There is an upper limit, so I made sure it was raised to cover the highest dollar amount I would ever take with me on a trip.

As Dee mentioned at the beginning, there are insurer's like D.E.P.P. who are specialized for this need. But you might also check with your homeowner's insurer to see what they can offer and how they can specifically cover your gear.

Hi diverthom,

Here's the piece from the Apr '02 Undercurrent http://www.undercurrent.org/:

I"n November, the Divers Alert Network cast its everwidening
insurance net to create a policy to cover dive gear and cameras. Termed the “H2Oinsurance.com Dive Equipment Insurance Program,” it offers coverage to DAN members who are residents of 48 states (Sorry, Alaska and South Dakota).

Effective worldwide, the policy insures against loss or damage to just about any equipment divers might be wearing or using.
Premiums are based on the total declared value. They require serial numbers at the time of enrollment for any item insured for more than $2500. They cover items to the declared amount; they pay the lesser of the cost of replacing or restoring the equipment to its condition at the time of the loss. With H2O, a $100
deductible is standard unless the claim is for water damage; then it’s the greater of 10 percent of the claim or $250. Low-value items such as gloves, booties, knives, dive bags, camera filters, etc., may be declared as “Miscellaneous Equipment” at an aggregate amount up to $500.

How does the H2O coverage compare with DEPP (Dive Equipment Protection Plan), a program thoroughly reviewed in our September 2001 issue? The most striking difference is that the DAN plan sends you a check based on the cost of restoring or replacing your loss. Duncan Jones, an administrator of the
H2O plan, told Undercurrent. “This supports the important relationship between the diver and his local dive shop.” On the other hand, DEPP, at its option, will either repair or replace your gear. Don’t expect to see any money.

There is a large variance in the basic coverage and the corresponding premium, under each plan. The minimum premium with H2O is $100 and covers up to $6,667 worth of gear. DEPP carries a minimum premium of $30 to insure up to $2,000 worth of equipment. There is a four percent surcharge on equipment
valued at more than $5,000. Standard deductible amounts are $25 for DEPP and $100 for H2O.

If you want to insure photographic gear, note that each plan differs and you’ll need to compare the costs and benefits. H2O’s deductible for flooding covers all camera accessories, while the DEPP policy says that if the camera itself, the lens, and the strobe are flooded, you’ll pay the deductible on each.

If you have bad luggage karma, DEPP enrollment includes $150 in reimbursement for rental gear needed due missing baggage. H2O makes no such provision. Fine print in DEPP’s policy states that to be insurable, dive watches must be designed for and exclusively used for diving and dive-related activities. They limit benefits for dive watches to $500. Your Rolex Oyster is not likely to make the cut. H2O does not have this limitation.

In our review of the DEPP policy in September 2001, we found that nearly all divers were satisfied with the speed and substance of DEPP’s claim handling. Of course, it’s too early to tell how satisfied divers are with the DAN policy. You can find additional details on H2O at http://www.H2O insurance.com. For DEPP, go to http://www.equipmentprotection.com."

Hope this assists with your decision.

DocVikingo

My homeowners policy is with state farm. The personal articles policy covers theft anywhere in the world. They just need a police report. My deductible is 1K so I am basically self insured.

My health insurance policy also covers me everywhere in the world.

It isn't clear to me that DAN provides anything beyond my existing insurance except:

lower deductible
repatriation

I personally believe in self insurance except for catastrophic.

Hi Seabass,

"It isn't clear to me that DAN provides anything beyond my existing insurance [State Farm Homeowner's] except:
lower deductible
repatriation"

Given a DAN Preferred Policy, how about:

1. Trip cancellation coverage?
2. Trip interruption coverage?
3. Coverage of deductibles on your primary health policy?
4. Accidental death & dismemberment?
5. Permanent & total disability?
6. Extra transportation?
7. Extra accommodation?
8. Support of DAN's unparalleled efforts in the areas of a diving emergency hotline, a medical information line, Alert Diver magazine, educational seminars, oxygen courses, recompression chamber assistance programs, books, videos, dive injury/fatality reporting & the like?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom