Which configuration of gear do you dive 99% of the time?

Which do you dive at present 99% of the time:

• Single tank open circuit

Votes: 153 76.1%
  • Double tank open circuit

Votes: 38 18.9%
  • Sidemount open circuit

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • SCR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CCR

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • None of the above.....have gills!

Votes: 4 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to be into drysuits, doubles, long hose, etc.
I realized that the majority of my dives are in water 130 feet or less and I would say the average depth is in the 60 to 70 foot range. The only reason I ever need to go beyond 100 feet now is to check my anchor or to start the dive off at the base of a pinnacle. I rarely spend more than a few minutes deep because it tends to be barren and nothing to see.
I dive up on the Northern California coast where it is very cold and low vis.
My current configuration is a custom wetsuit, jet fins w/spring straps, a s/s freedom plate w/ oxycheq mach v wing, oxy harness and cam bands, scubapro MK20 with a glass and brass gauge, two 40" LP hoses with primary and bungeed second, both hoses run under my right arm. I gave up the long hose and went to two octopuss length hoses. I knoiw it's not DIR, but I'm not DIR so it doesn't matter. Low vol mask, snorkel on shore dives when it will involves a surface swim (more efficient for me to snokel over kelp on my belly. It keeps the tank valve out of the kelp and doesn't get caught up. Steel tanks - a 3442-120 and a 3442-100. I also have a gang of old steel 72's that I use as a backup or loaners.
Sometimes I leave the wing behind and practice BC-less diving. This is for hunting and generally on beach dives where there is a constant bottom and less than 50 feet. I think no BC diving is cool, but having a mach V 18 lb wing on actually is unnoticable to me. The no BC diving is training for Socal bug diving and vintage diving when I use a double hose regulator (which is also totally cool and a kick to use)

Single OC until now...but that may change!

Just bought double 95s!

I'd love to dive CCR, but don't have the funds. Wife, kids...

So far this year I have completed 128 dives.

I've done:

42 in Double 50's
15 in Double 85's
2 in Double 95's
1 in Double 72's
1 in Double 100's
1 in Double 120's
12 on Evolution CCR
26 on Single 120's
28 on Single 100's

22 of those dives were with Full Face Mask.

Needless to say... Diving for me is a "right tool for the job" situation. I'd have to say that in general, if I'm doing a fun dive, my first choice for an easy fun pretty reef dive would be a single 100. However, that's not always the case.

Didn't see an option for single tank with pony bottle... unless you consider that "double tank open circuit." I always dive with the same gear configuration unless I am traveling, but am looking forward to adding true doubles to my configuration options when I start doing some specific scientific research dives at deep sites in the next year.

I dive a HP130 or HP100 single tank config with SS back plate. On dives deeper than 50ish, or cold dives, or dives with someone I don't know, I dive a slung AL40. I dive a long hose for my primary and the secondary is bunged under my chin.

When money allows, I'm going to double up my 100's.

100% of my dives thus far has been OC singles.

I suspect in the fairly near future, I will begin to dive doubles....but for the majority of my diving (shore diving socal), a single tank is more than enough gas - sometimes enough for two dives.

Current rig is an AL 80 with a bracket mount 40 pony. This is subject to change once I find a nice set of doubles and go the tech route.

60% singles, 40% dubs.

All the best, James

About my exact breakdown as well. If I can do the dive safely (for me) in a single, I see no reason to do it in doubles, plus there are plenty of sites where doubles just aren't practical. Doubles are not complicated and I don't need to dive them all the time to keep skills fresh.

Please share a bit about your current gear configuration and why it fits your diving style and needs, or are you in the 'process/ or /wish' of changing and to which differing configuration and why?

I dive single 130's, open circuit, a jacket style BC (I love pockets) with double tank bands (a must for beaching it), full foot fins with neoprene sockies/booties, a prescription mask, a long hose on my octo, and I WILL NOT dive without a snorkle.:no:
I want to go to double 100's or something so I can stay down longer and go a little deeper(I have 5 regs) and a little farther, but am not sure how beach diving is going to work with that.:confused:
I really have no clue how to get started with doubles at this point, and I know that the dumbest thing to do is buy a set and go down to the beach and attempt to drown myself in 3'-4' of water on a calm day.:rofl3:
I guess it is time to start my research.:D
Chug
Addicted to smilies...for now...

I am interested in seeing where I am going. Last year I dove about 80-90% doubles, rest singles. Then I busted my back and now I dive three systems. Singles for regular dives while recouperating, sidemount to learn - but doubles on some dives where I am not yet comfy to dive SM but need the redundancy.

My buddy prefers the dives I do in SM - because I do not carry tanks yet :D I really like doubles but my back does not. I like SM but I am not fluent with that system yet, it makes some dives more of a hassle (boat/moving water).

Just last weekend I dove all 3 systems depending what dive I was doing, and I have to say I'd prefer cutting it down to two. Swapping on daily basis between different harness systems is probably the biggest nuisance - d-rings in slightly different places, clipclipclip, looking for something a little longer... little things like that when blasting down in the current reel happily unwinding :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom