Which brands, which models enjoys a high reputation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reliability is king in the lights game and both Greenforce and Metalsub are among the best of the best in my opinion.

Greenforce ? gforcetwisted.jpg these connectors a made like milking attachments for cows ...and they are very vulnerable ( same deal tilly- tec )

Metalsub ... with military background and no limit funding means...... if you lost gun ....you can still throw light on the head attacker.

Light-For-Me makes cheap lights with no customer support at all.

I totally disagree .... ( with 2 post only ....... :D ....... )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

actually i don't have favourite producer ... if i have it , it comes from specific lamp design , engineering skill, thinking, usability ... I look on lamp with with different eyes.

It is funny i made list of worlds light producers by countries and many unknown producers made good products also they copy known brands ( actualy i did not see any

chinese test tube light yet ;-)) )

Greenforce ? these connectors a made like milking attachments for cows ...and they are very vulnerable ( same deal tilly- tec )

Yeah... I've had an umbilical break also (it appeared to of internally twisted and shorted) - good job the heads have protection circuitry!

BUT...the service I've received from GreenForce has been very good, a new umbilical was shipped FOC and express international delivery.

Yeah MetalSub, a buddy has one - very nice, but odd battery shape!

---------- Post added October 15th, 2013 at 09:10 AM ----------

Light-For-Me makes cheap lights with no customer support at all.

Honestly, on receiving my LFM torches I was really surprised as to how well they were made. The instructions in the box, leave a lot to be desired I admit!!!

As to support, I've spoken with the UK office (in regards to which 18650 batteries to use) and email responses were fast.

Greenforce ? these connectors a made like milking attachments for cows ...and they are very vulnerable ( same deal tilly- tec )

Wasn't aware of this but what I am aware of is that from all of the people I know who have them, not a single one has ever failed.

Metalsub ... with military background and no limit funding means...... if you lost gun ....you can still throw light on the head attacker.

LOL :D

Light & motion SOLA light range
very small & Light good burn time no need to remove any O rings for charging great range of types
downside is they dont have the 3hr burn times that some tech divers like but for rec divers i think they are one of the best out there!

Ok. My third post :)

English is not my native language which may lead to some misunderstanding.

When I said that LFM lights are cheap I mean price only, not construction. I like construction and will definitly buy one more LFM light.

As for customer support - try to contact light-for-me directly and you will get same problems. May be UK office is good.

I bought GoPro video system 1800 lumens from them and had problems with it. Let me show some quotes from my and their emails.

Question: I have XTAR 18650 3400 mA/h accumulators and they fit one of the lights and do not fit other. I had to make hole for battery insertion bigger. I think you should test your lights with more accumulator types.
Answer: We use the above mentioned batteries and the set works perfectly well.

Am I a liar? May be (with only two posts) :)

Question: If you use protected accumulators then you have minus wire just along accumulator side under thin (in fact very very thin) plastic cover. Body of your light is plus wire trerefore you have plus and minus wires divided by only very thin plastic. If you also have narrow hole for battery you could damage plastic and get shortcut circuit.
Answer: Lights used in the set (as also our backup lights) do not have any electronics built-in. So the light output will slowly get dimmer and dimmer. With hogh quality batteries of capacity 2800-3400mAh you will get around 1,5h full power output and then the light will get darker so you will know that it is time to charge the batteries. Usually you would need to charge the battery at the same time as gopro - this camera usually requires charging every 1h-1,5h. That is why protected batteries are not necessarily required, we only require high quality batteries eg. Samsung ICR or Panasonic NCR 18650B which you charge regularly.

Wrong statement! You must use protected accus when light have no built-in electronics. Otherwise if you forget to charge accus and continue to use lights you will get broken accus, because of properties of LiIon cells.

In my case fixing not fitting accus was easy as I can use lathe.
The main question was about safety in using protected accus and the possibility of shortcut circuits in case of broken isolation. No help from support so I have to invesigate the problem by myself.
And the answer is yes - it's safe. Mistake was in that the side wire is minus wire. Really it's plus wire. So no shortcut can occur.

At this point I was satisfied with LFM lights construction but not with customer support.

Hope this helps to somebody.

Hi Ak3141 :)

I was advised to use NON-Protected (no built-in electronics) on LFM torches (and recommended the Panasonic 18650s)

The reason:
Due to the use in a cave/wreck environment, its better to ruin the battery than, lose you life. (Ie its better to have some light, than none at all)

(I too purchased the XTAR batteries, and they also didn't FIT!!! - I wasn't happy either!!)

I just removed the thin plastic and protection circuity and underneath were Panasonic's :)

Hi TheTrickster!

I see you bought technical backup light and I bought recreational video light for GoPro. They have basically the same construction.
I now understand your reasons for using unprotected batteries and I agree with you.
But the only thing LFM need to do for working with both protected and unprotected batteries is 0,2 mm (1/100 of inch) bigger hole.

The reason:
Due to the use in a cave/wreck environment, its better to ruin the battery than, lose you life. (Ie its better to have some light, than none at all)

well DIR guys also says do not use lithium at all ( ortho DIR still loves Pb gell accumulators in Gavins and Explorer canister from H )

Removing protection can kill a battery , you also would be without a light and on surface also without battery .If lamp is dead , then you have backups and buddy light . ( if i remember correct LiPoFe4

and LiMn a different ( I have all NiMH - much simpler ))

As for customer support - try to contact light-for-me directly and you will get same problems.
try get Anna there View Profile: light-for-me - DIR Explorers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1' st point of Li batteries is that they have very very slow self-discharging
2 'd point of Li batteries is that they running on single cell with 3,7 V which is right exactly what need single white led

I think,this depends on what price and what kind of diving lights you need.

As there are primary light,vedio/photo light,back-up light and caniste light.

So it depends.

Problem at chinese lights is that are not constructed and designed from diver to diver .... these lights are outdoor lights or bike lights adopted to some quasi scuba outfit .

- bulky cooling fins , (what for ? - put light in water and look it with thermal camera )

- thin PLASTIC front lens , ( if they are laser cut , then is even worse )

- wrong designed orings ( side rather than the front ) ,

- heavy head , ( it is mace not torch )

- some type of canister made from handtorch )

- cheap low quality driver inside

- poor heatsinking ( that not mean BIG COOLING RIBS in head but thermal transfer between LED emiter to outer surface , they uses brass ( which is half worse than aluminium and for time worse than cooper ))

- bad assembly ( soldering of pcb , shavings on the threads,.....pinched O-rings )

- questionable quality anodizing ( more more aesthetic than functional )

- quality of insulation between battery pack and enclosure ( at many lights runs electrical current on enclosure from back to front through enclosure threads -at some lights
strong performances by EDM ( electro corosion )especially in the housing threads
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All that for low price - NO THANKS FROM ME !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom