Which BP/W BC is best for the advanced diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mokedawg

New
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am brand new to SB and relatively new to the diving community as a whole. I do, however, love the diving that I have done and plan to continue to increase my skill level well into the realm of tech diving. In turn, as I have already decided to go with a BP/W as my first BC purchase, I was just wondering if any of you vets out there could offer me some sound advice as to which brands/models are the best in the tech BP/W field. I was considering either an OMS (single bladder) system or the Dive Rite Trasnpac II w/ super wing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

three words:

simpler is better.

a simple backplate with a single piece of webbing is the simplest and most reliable system available. Aim for that.

An OMS single wing is a good choice, a DiveRite Superwing is WAY too much. All of the major brands offer a nice single wing, don't overlook Oxycheck, Halcyon, Deep Sea Supply, etc.

As for plate, a 6 lb stainless steel is a nice middle ground to choose. can't go too far wrong there.

Ritchard

If you mostly do warm water diving, you might want an aluminium plate, if you do cold water in heavier exposure protection, go steel. Don't focus on brand names, focus on functionality. Get a standard backplate with 11" separated bolt holes and no sharp edges, and rig it with an inexpensive hogarthian harness. That way, if you decide you don't like it, you can always get a more costly "comfort" harness later and only "waste" a few bucks on the learning experience. If you get a comfort harness first and then decide you prefer hogarthian, you just spent over $100 on gear you don't want.

Don't make the easy mistake of assuming a bigger wing is a better wing. Get a good, durable singles wing like an OxyCheq Signature or Halcyon Eclipse/Pioneer with somewhere between 28 and 40 lbs of lift.

If you want a BP/Wing, don't get a transpac II... it's a back inflate BC with a wing, but not a backplate.

I would go with a standard Back plate (either SS or Al) and a wing. I wouldn't go the Transpac route. I personally use a Halcyon 30# Eclipse wing for singles. It actually was my first BC purchase as well. I have ZERO regrets about starting off in a BP/W. I would also look into the DSS rig w/ the hog harness. (www.Deepseasupply.com) I like the idea of carrying a roll of webbing in my save a dive kit and knowing that I can completely re do my harness if something happens to it while I'm at the dive site.

Like everything else in diving, there are minute differences in dive equipment that we'll argue about. The most important thing is to buy equipment that can be serviced locally AND internationally, with full warranty. That's why the big international companies, Scubapro, Aqualung, Mares, Oceanic, still have a huge percentage of the market. Now, companies like DiveRite, Zeagle, and a couple of others make great equipment but they may not be sold worldwide.

Most all BP/W systems made today are basically the same. OMS, DiveRite, Zeagle, Oxycheq, Halcyon, Aqualung, DSS, all make quality systems. The best made, all but perfection, is the DSS.

Call Oak Hill Scuba, they are Austin's best source for technical diving.

daniel f aleman:
Like everything else in diving, there are minute diffences in dive equipment that we'll argue about.
On that note...
daniel f aleman:
The mosst importnat thing is to buy equipment that can be serviced locally AND internationally, will full warranty.
One of the things I like best about diving with a BP/Wing is that I can service it myself. The backplate is a piece of solid stainless steel. If it needs wiping off, I can wipe it. My harness is a single piece of webbing. If it wears out, I can replace it for $15 at the local fabric, camping, or dive shop. If my wing has a punctured bladder, I can patch or replace it. Not all wings let you do that, so make sure you get one that allows you to access the bladder (like the OxyCheq Signature or Halcyon Eclipse) if that's important to you. Inflator assemblies are also REALLY easy to replace, and are pretty inexpensive. If you can use a zip-tie, you can do it yourself. I wouldn't worry about the warranty on this stuff. Parts are cheap and available, and the work is easy.
daniel f aleman:
The best made, all but perfection, is the DSS.
DSS makes great stuff, but their wings have built in single tank stabilizers and are made to work with their harnesses. If you go DSS, go DSS all the way. It's not a bad option if you only want to dive singles, but if you want to be able to mix and match or use doubles, IMHO there are better ways to go.

Matt,

Have you dived with the DSS? It's a beauty; and I'm not a BP/W snob. I have two rigs/wings; one each, for one tank diving and the other for two tanks.

I haven't dived it myself, but I've helped a dive buddy get one set up, and have seen it in use at close quarters. It's a nice rig, and I'm a big fan of Tobins stuff in general, but I'm not crazy about the STA-less single tank mount. I'll admit I didn't know there was a two tank wing version... how does it connect?

MSilvia:
DSS makes great stuff, but their wings have built in single tank stabilizers and are made to work with their harnesses. If you go DSS, go DSS all the way. It's not a bad option if you only want to dive singles, but if you want to be able to mix and match or use doubles, IMHO there are better ways to go.

Thanks for the kind words Matt, but I am a bit confused.

What feature of our wings requires that you use any specific harness?

What feature of our wings, plates, harnesses etc. would preclude using singles or doubles?

What would preclude the use of non DSS doubles wings with our plates, or DSS doubles wings with 3rd party plates.

I'm not trying to be a PITA, I'm concerned we are failing to effectively communicate the features of our gear.

I use my plate for singles or doubles, I just remove the cambands and bolt up the doubles.

Tobin

MSilvia:
I haven't dived it myself, but I've helped a dive buddy get one set up, and have seen it in use at close quarters. It's a nice rig, and I'm a big fan of Tobins stuff in general, but I'm not crazy about the STA-less single tank mount. I'll admit I didn't know there was a two tank wing version... how does it connect?

Matt,

Has your buddy reported any problems with our "Sta-Less" solution? Have you seen any?

In either case I'd like to know about it. I need all feedback, positive or negative.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom