Which book on Tek diving is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paul Fons

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Rather a provocative title I guess, but I would like to buy a book for fun to read and understand more about decompression and tek diving in general. I am an nitrox certified PADI diver (just recently) and am not planning to do any deep diving immediately (but if I ever head to Truk it would seem to be an advantage), but I am curious to learn more. In particular, I would like to understand more of the physics of the decompression models. I am a condensed matter physicist by training and I like reading about models, especially when it relates to my own saftey! When I looked at Amazon, I noticed the title "Technical Diving in Depth" and it looks like what I am interested in. Are there any opinions on this book or recommendations for others (I don't mind buying more than one). I already have the NOAA handbook, but it is a little light on detail (and I really prefer metric units as I live in Japan and all my gear, tables, computer, etc. are in metric units). Thanks for any advice in advance. :satisfied:

I realize that Technical Diving in Depth is published by Best Publishing. I was rather inquiring about recommendations about which title is best (although I do appreciate the concentration of relevant information on the best publishing site). If their pricing (including shipping to Japan) is competitive with Amazon, I would be happy to support best publishing directly. Have you read Technical Diving in Depth ?

Paul Fons:
In particular, I would like to understand more of the physics of the decompression models. I am a condensed matter physicist by training and I like reading about models, especially when it relates to my own saftey!
A physicist? Have I got two books for you, both from Best Publishing...

Basic Decompression Theory and Application & Reduced Gradient Bubble Model, both by Bruce Wienke, who's part of the Los Alamos National Labratory Thermonuclear Simulations Group. Wienke has a Ph.D. in particle physics, and the second book listed has a *very* high MEGO factor, but I'm giving it the best run I can!

Roak

Sounds like I am perhaps on the right track. Actually, both of the books (Basic Decompression Theory and Application & Reduced Gradient Bubble Model) you mentioned are by the same author, Bruce R. Wienke. Judging from the table of contents, of "Technical Diving in Depth", there seemed to be a lot of overlap between with perhaps Technical Diving in Depth being more comprehensive. Any opinions on this?

The only one I have is "Technical Diving in Depth" so I can't compare but it's a good general text that addresses a braud spectrum of subjects and it includes the math.

I'll also second the recommendation of the IANTD "technical Diving Encyclopedia". It doesn't provide the math of Dr. Wienke's books but it'll introduce you to many decompression studies/history. The book also addresses many diving related physiology topics and studies.

If you're a programer, source code is also available on the net for most models (probably not RGBM). You might want to look at decompression.org. I think that's the site. Sorry but I lost the hard drive that had all that stuff on it. Some searches should turn it up though.

There are also some papers worth reading on the GAP site.

I found the site www.decompression.org, but it has nothing on it but a banner (maintenance?). It is apparently not a browser problem either as I looked at the html source code for the default page and there is nothing but a banner. Perhaps they will come on line later. It would be neat to download some different decompression codes and compare them. I wonder why there is no reduced gradient model code available -- is it not well enough documented?

Paul Fons:
I wonder why there is no reduced gradient model code available -- is it not well enough documented?

I'll take a shot at this.

Dr. Wienke has put a lot of work and effort into devolping the RGBM principle and has made the results of his work available to the public. However, all of his time and energy does not come cheaply, so some compensation is in order.

He is also a member of this list, so he may be along shortly to provide a direct answer.

His books are very comprehensive, especially for the more technical minded that can absorb the intricate details. He also includes quite a bit of math showing the models, rather than just talking about it.

It's hard to say that there is one "best" book out there, as there are many that delve into the aspects of tech diving. I've found that my simple library continues to expand, and I learn something new from every book I read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom