Which boat bag would you choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FuzzyNutz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Sorry, I hate asking these questions because there's a TON already - but I'm too indecisive to choose for myself.

I'm going to place an order with Dive Right in Scuba for some last minute items for my upcomming trip (SB Invasion, whooo!), and I was thinking about throwing in a mesh bag to haul some of my gear on the boat with. I kinda narrowed it down to the Edge Backpack and this Akona Backpack.

The Akona has a ton of great reviews and I know I can't go wrong with it, but the Edge bag is 1/2 the price and I'm a fan Edge/HOG gear. I've already spent so much for this trip, that I'd like to save a few bucks (even if it is only $25), but I would like a bag that will hold up for a long time. I'm not going to ask which one is better, but which one would you choose?

I know nothing about the Edge one, but I once bought a cheap, knockoff that "looks just like" the Akona bag, so I could save money.

It ripped and broke while on a trip.

I then bought the Akona bag. No issues.

So, my save money strategy ended up costing me more money.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hate to steer you away from DIRS - love them and Mike. However after running in to the same issue that fisheater had, bought a cheapo backpack style back, both straps broke within 15 minutes of use and I had to schlep all my wet gear back to the hotel carrying it like a bag of groceries. So I ended up with this: XS Scuba BG150 Wheeled Mesh Duffle Bag Reviews A little more expensive but the thing is bullet proof. TONS of room, enough for 2 sets of gear. Wheels so it rolls and tough as nails. I love the thing and regularly pack it into my dive checked luggage to use as a boat bag on trips without going over the 50lb limit.

Thanks for the replies guys! As much as I love Edge/Hog, I'm thinking the same might happen with the Edge one... and I don't want to end up carrying all the pieces and buying another one. I think I'll play it safe and grab the Akona one for now. Thanks for the other reccomendation Byte Me, but I think I'll prefer a backpack style. Again, much appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom