Which backplate manufacturer to choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comfort comfort comfort...money should be a consideration but think of the $30 bucks you saved everytime you dive and the same area of your body is hurting you dive after dive...but you saved 30 bucks! I tried 3 different back plates and harnesses before actually buying. When I tried my DR and was sold within seconds. Ask your LDS to let you try before you buy.

Brian,

There are two different issues here.

1) Can a DSS plate be used with 3rd party wings?

In most cases yes, and if one really wants to use a STA there are almost no plate and single wing combo's that won't work. For doubles there is no issue here.

2) Will a DSS plate + 3rd party wing work as well, and offer all of the advantages of using a DSS wing on a DSS plate?

The answer here is clearly no. Using a DSS wing on a DSS plate will provides the following advantages; Ease of assembly and dis assembly, least tank offset from the diver, secure direct mount without wobble.

In short using a DSS plate and 3rd party wing is no worse than any other "Franken-rig" but doing so negates many of the advantages of the "system".

Keep in mind that most respondents here have used one BP&W, and as such are poorly equipped to comment on the RELATIVE advantages of any approach.

Tobin

I think Riley got off the OP a little. Can a DSS wing be used with a Hammerhead plate?

You have the integrated STA in your wings (wobble stopper) which is designed to mate with your plate. Your plates have a very low profile. The HH plates are much higher.
Can a DSS singles wing be used with a HH plate? Either with or without a STA? Without removing the wobble stopper?

For myself, I have 2 DR plates which are lower profile. Can I use a DSS singles wing? Specifically the LCD 20.

Thanks.

I think Riley got off the OP a little. Can a DSS wing be used with a Hammerhead plate?

You have the integrated STA in your wings (wobble stopper) which is designed to mate with your plate. Your plates have a very low profile. The HH plates are much higher.
Can a DSS singles wing be used with a HH plate? Either with or without a STA? Without removing the wobble stopper?

For myself, I have 2 DR plates which are lower profile. Can I use a DSS singles wing? Specifically the LCD 20.

Thanks.

I not sure what part of my previous answer is in sufficient for you. With a STA pretty much any wing and plate can be made to work, including a HH plate and DSS wing.

Without a STA I cannot say for sure. Why? because I don't know what YOU consider to be "good enough"

For example if the DSS wobble stopper "sort of works" with a HH plate, but does not work as well as it does on a DSS plate will YOU be happy?

Will YOU be happy if the camband slots sort of like up, but are perfect?

Will YOU be happy if the DSS rubber locators don't work in the square holes in a HH Plate?

I do know for a fact that the DSS wobble stopper works great on a DSS plate.

I do know for a fact that the Camband slots in a DSS wing and DSS plate not only line up, are are positioned to allow an inch of wing adjustment for trim.

I do know for a fact that the rubber locators furnishe with a DSS wing work great with a DSS plate.

I simply cannot make the "judgement call" about 3rd party plates.

Tobin

Looks like the overwhelming winner here is DSS, and with good reason.
On plate material that is too thin to have a proper radius to prevent premature webbing wear, DSS uses the spiffy inserts that will allow your webbing to live to a ripe old age.
I've seen some of the high dollar plates wear through webbing in less than a couple dozen dives, purely because the thickness of the plate cannot hold a decent radius because it's too thin.
You won't have that happen with a DSS plate.

I not sure what part of my previous answer is in sufficient for you.

Riley asked about using a DSS wing with third party plates.

"can I use a DSS wing with an Hammer Head BP?? One of things I like most about my rig is how interchangeable it is."

Your response spoke to using a DSS plate with third party wings.

You none the less answered my question. I too like the modularity of a BPW system. I don't consider swapping plates and typical wings "Frankenstiening".

You may wish to check this package at Divesports, $129.88 for S/S BP and basic HOG harness:

Highland Millworks Stainless Steel Backplate

However, if you are looking for BP, wing, harness package, Deep Sea Supply is probably the best "bang for the buck" (good quality and good service at a good price).

You CAN piece together a decent BP/W for a little less, as I did. But if I had it to do over, or when I get a BP/W for the wife, I plan on going DSS (I did not "discover" DSS until after putting my rig together).

FYI, my rig is:
Hammerhead II S/S BP with 2-piece S/S STA (BP & STA package from the manufacturer)
Basic HOG harness (Dive Rite harness webbing and hardware)
Edge HOG 32lb singles wing (from divesports.com, great service by the way)

I'm very happy with my setup. But I like the quality of the DSS gear, and Tobin is great with answering questions on this board.

Good Luck!

I have come across both of those sites, and they have some nice stuff. Before I posted last week I did end up buying the TDL, from what I could see I liked the look of it, and instead of piecing all of my gear together such as, shoulder pads, crotch strap, back plate it was just easier to buy something which most was included for my first setup.

I am sure I will learn a lot from this, and I will have a lot of fun doing this. For my wing I think I am going to go with the HOG 38lb, or 58lb for doubles for when I set up some doubles. Unless, someone thinks this is overkill for now, and should just stay with the single bladder.

I don't know. Anyone know of some good weight pockets to use on a back plate? I have looked all over, so many styles and so far no reviews.

Any who, I know everyone links some deals, it looks like TDL is doing an election coupon details on front page: http://tdl.divebiz.net/

Thanks to all again, John

Back
Top Bottom