Which Apeks Backplate? WTX Aluminium vs WTX Ultralight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a silly lie perpetrated by would-be door-to-door-shoe-salesmen and other people who have no business instructing scuba students.
That is the "attitude" your body would take if you just "relaxed" on the surface with a fully inflated wing. Not fully face down but not with your face up as you might be used to. I should have added the word "tendency". At least in my case when diving a "light" rig. Doesn't seem to happen with a twinset and all the heavy gear strapped in. You can remedy this by assuming an upright "sitting" position.

When diving singles Al80s we have never used a STA with our Zeagle backplates which are similar to the Halcyon backplates. As long as the cylinder is strapped tightly it is stable. We also use the rubber grips on the cam bands.

Regarding the bulk of a backplate when traveling. We travel with two plates and while it works okay, I would rather travel with a soft plate as it more packable.

I am leaning towards the softplate now as stability only seems like an issue for some people, mostly when using heavier tanks. Plus I travel with a 75ltr backpack so space and weight is more important to me then if I were say just on a 2 week diving holiday.

Does anyone know if aluminium or steel tanks are more popular in SEA?

Reactions: Pao
According to http://admin.minus-mp3.com/Bouyancy_calculator.xls I should also be okay with an 18lb wing unless I've underestimated something?

Calculated Wing Requirements: 12.6lb

Based on:

Backplate + fittings weight: -1.5
First Stage Weight: -1
Manifold + reg weight: 0
Fixed Weight: -4.5
Suit Buoyancy: 3
Wetsuit? (Y or N): Y
Droppable Lead: 0
CuFt Air: 72
Tank Buoyancy at 500 psi: -1
Tank #2 Buoyancy at 500 psi: 0

"Fixed weight" was based on the assumption I could loose 3-4lb going from a typical jacket BCD to a BP/W setup. Is that realistic?

pretty much all aluminum 80s in sea, the convertible valves are becoming more common at least. i wish the al72 had taken off a bit more.

I am leaning towards the softplate now as stability only seems like an issue for some people, mostly when using heavier tanks.

I run a soft backplate rig for my summer diving (Dive Rite Transpac) I use large 15L steels as my main tank. There are no stability issues. None.

For the record, I also have a conventional Plated rig for cooler Drysuit diving, a BCD when I'm teaching and a Sidemount rig. So have user experience with different BCD systems

The only difference between a plate and non plate is weight.

Re your weighting

I'd allow +3 for an empty cylinder. The first sage weight seems light too - but I've never bothered to weigh mine.

Personally I always prefer more lift, especially in the ocean I personally would only use the WTX D30 you'll see no difference in drag underwater or weight of the bladder for travel. If you're doign a lot of diving you may find you get acclimatized to the water temps and then require a bit more exposure protection over the next few months, thus needing more lead and more lift.

But good luck with whatever you choose

I am leaning towards the softplate now as stability only seems like an issue for some people, mostly when using heavier tanks. Plus I travel with a 75ltr backpack so space and weight is more important to me then if I were say just on a 2 week diving holiday.

Does anyone know if aluminium or steel tanks are more popular in SEA?

Definitely aluminum, as steels are usually used for drysuit diving in cold water. They are actually very rare in the tropics.

The only location I have seen steel cylinders is in Chuck. The Odyssey has some LP112 for singles which my wife always uses. Otherwise Al80 with convertible valves.

Thanks everyone for your advice and feedback.

Based on weight, packing and price; I have decided to go for the Apeks travel plate with D18 wing.

I rarely use a wetsuit being pretty tolerant to the cold and if I do get into colder diving in the future then I will just get the D30 as well... best of both worlds I think :wink:

Reactions: Pao

Back
Top Bottom