Which Apeks Backplate? WTX Aluminium vs WTX Ultralight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick R+A

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

Can anyone advise on the best backplate for me based on the below:

I’m currently living in Bali and the only options here are Apeks or Halycon. Halycon is out of my budget and shipping from abroad is also out of the question, unknown Import tax, dodgy delivery systems etc. So this pretty much leaves Apeks bp/w options to choose from.

I only dive with single cylinders in tropical waters, in either a 3mm wetsuit or shorts/rashy. Using jacket style bcd’s I currently need an additional 6-8lbs.

I’m leaning towards getting the WTX 18lb instead if the 30lb wing, as others on SB have suggested this should give enough lift for tropical diving. However I can’t decide to go with an aluminium backplate or soft plate. I have ruled out the SS plate as both my backpack and carry on are awfully close to the weight limit.

I realise I will probably need to buy additional weight pockets either way.

Does a hard backplate have any noticeable benefits over a soft plate for my particular type of diving, or should I purely base my decision on cost factor and packability for travel?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Nick

I would go with the soft plate and as you note pick up some weight pockets to put on the cam bands. It will be easier for travel. Regarding the 18 vs 30 wing. I would go with the 30. But that is because I have a camera system that is negative and often dive a 5mm wetsuit (we did in southern parts of Komodo). That would give a bit more flexibility without sacrificing too much in the profile.

Go for the aluminum plate. Much more versatile than the soft plate. It can also shave at least 2 lbs from your weight belt. It looks like you are on a budget. You should not dismiss the "generic" backplate and continuous webbing harness systems which could save you a lot of money. For your peace of mind, you can still get the branded wing (Apeks or Halcyon). Although I would prefer Halcyon as they use standard fittings for the wing unlike the proprietary ones for Apeks. Halcyon inner bladders are also available/replaceable and generic wings also fit as they have become the "template" for generic BP/W systems. So in short, my advise is a generic Al backplate/continuous webbing + Halcyon wing.

Would you still recommend the aluminium even though I don't plan on diving with doubles? There is only one dive shop in Bali that offers Halycon Infinity, with aluminium bp, It comes with a padded back. Would the Infinity be worth paying a premium for. The only other backplate I could find was by IST Dolphin Tech. But I would rather have a setup that allows me to go without an STA.

Would you still recommend the aluminium even though I don't plan on diving with doubles? There is only one dive shop in Bali that offers Halycon Infinity, with aluminium bp, It comes with a padded back. Would the Infinity be worth paying a premium for. The only other backplate I could find was by IST Dolphin Tech. But I would rather have a setup that allows me to go without an STA.

Will you be doing a lot of traveling? That is the only advantage of the soft plate. Using the STA allows you to remove the cam bands from the backplate easily making it easier to pack. Aren't there other retailers in Indonesia aside from the ones in Bali? The padding is only useful out of the water and not in-water. Do not be afraid to ask the retailers if they have "generic" options. It could be more helpful if you ask the local diving community.

Yes lots of backpacking for the next year or so. The STA will add another 2lb. What would be the advantages of an aluminium plate other than for doubles? There maybe other options outside of Bali, such as Jakarta, but I wouldn't save any money if I had to fly somewhere else just to get a non branded backplate. BP/W do not appear to be common with the local community in Bali.

Yes lots of backpacking for the next year or so. The STA will add another 2lb. What would be the advantages of an aluminium plate other than for doubles? There maybe other options outside of Bali, such as Jakarta, but I wouldn't save any money if I had to fly somewhere else just to get a non branded backplate. BP/W do not appear to be common with the local community in Bali.

Ah OK. Why not just rent the BCD? You can still bring your own mask and computer. The reg might also be heavy/space occupying if you are traveling. If you are not backpacking, I find the bulk to be more problematic than the weight. I have an STA that weighs only 327 g/0.72 lbs.
STA weight.jpg

Have you considered sidemount? Although, it would entail more cost on training. Here is video I did a few years ago.

The only other backplate I could find was by IST Dolphin Tech. But I would rather have a setup that allows me to go without an STA.

The IST Dolphin Tech doesn't "need" an STA. It has slots for cam-bands.

20328-996-large.jpg

Back
Top Bottom