Which Apeks Backplate? WTX Aluminium vs WTX Ultralight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I
Re "bulk of AL BP;

There isn't much bulk, but I used to pack the plate last as a hard cover for the (wrapped in undergarment) regulators/gauges/inflator hose etc. as if my whole carry-on was like a turtle shell. If "they" want to inspect the bag,
its easy to just peel back the top of the shell, let them see regs, and put the shell back on.

Having only ever used a jacket style bcd, it is difficult to understand if a hard plate has any benefit other then weight. I guess stability could be an issue with the soft travel plate?

The IST sells 2 versions of an aluminium plate: http://balidiveshop.com/product/backplate-288.html is there any difference in quality between the Dolphin & OceanPro?

I could try and pair this with the OMS 27lb bladder they also have in stock. Would this be as good as the Apeks wings? They both work out similar cost wise.

I have contacted Halycon to try and get a better price but as it stands cost quite a bit more then the Apeks wing.

I see. That is an entire discussion on its own. Search SB and you will see a TON of results on that. Personally, it has to do with maintaining proper trim, streamlining, simplicity, lack of failure point with the continuous webbing, "infinite" adjustability, and having the same system for all your diving from beginner to technical. Plus some interchangeability between manufacturers. Disadvantages include its tendency to put you "face down" on the surface, more difficulty in getting you out of the harness in case of an emergency, and it takes some time and effort to "dial-in" the fit.

The IST sells 2 versions of an aluminium plate: http://balidiveshop.com/product/backplate-288.html is there any difference in quality between the Dolphin & OceanPro?

I could try and pair this with the OMS 27lb bladder they also have in stock. Would this be as good as the Apeks wings? They both work out similar cost wise.

I have contacted Halycon to try and get a better price but as it stands cost quite a bit more then the Apeks wing.

They look the same aside from the weight. The only way to see the difference is to "handle" them.

OMS is also a good brand but they seem to be prone to fading. If you do decide to go for the OMS, get the ones without the bungees, if available.

Here is a thread on soft vs. hard plates on SB, but there might be more: Hard plate vs Soft Plate

The advice to get what works for you is very true. in the past I have bought gear that was "the best" but did not find useful for my particular need. If your dive shop is friendly enough, maybe you can bring your 80 liter pack and try to "stuff" your gear in.

I see. That is an entire discussion on its own. Search SB and you will see a TON of results on that. Personally, it has to do with maintaining proper trim, streamlining, simplicity, lack of failure point with the continuous webbing, "infinite" adjustability, and having the same system for all your diving from beginner to technical. Plus some interchangeability between manufacturers. Disadvantages include its tendency to put you "face down" on the surface, more difficulty in getting you out of the harness in case of an emergency, and it takes some time and effort to "dial-in" the fit.

I was referring to the backplate material, such as aluminium vs soft plate. I understand the benefits of A BP/W system, there is endless information out there. However all of my searches on SB for "hardplate vs softplate" yield any conclusive results.

From what I have read, as I have no firsthand experience with soft harnesses, the main difference is stability. The only sure way to see what you like is to try them both if possible. I actually do not personally know anyone, or have seen someone dive with a soft plate.

I'm too lazy to try it, but has anybody tried going "STA-less" with a Halcyon backplate? I sandwiched the backplate between a twinset and a single tank. Doesn't seem to be very stable.

When diving singles Al80s we have never used a STA with our Zeagle backplates which are similar to the Halcyon backplates. As long as the cylinder is strapped tightly it is stable. We also use the rubber grips on the cam bands.

Regarding the bulk of a backplate when traveling. We travel with two plates and while it works okay, I would rather travel with a soft plate as it more packable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom