which 7 megapixel to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Edwin gave some good advice.

CAPX28:
I guess i am looking for an all around camera to play and learn with, however i dont want to spend the money if i am going to grow out of it rather quickly.

To get you started the Canon A series or Fuji 810 would be a good choice. Unless you are one of those folks who has to have the latest and greatest, they both give you control of your exposures and will serve you well for years. Just because a later model has come out, doesn't mean the old one automatically quits working! My favorite is still my old Oly C-4040.

Shutter lag has been mentioned repeatedly. Yes, can be a problem, but I don't think it's a big enough reason on it's own to go DSLR. Using the half-press method of pre-focusing cuts the shutter lag considerably.

Another thing to keep in mind is the size of rig you want to push through the water. I know there are variations depending on housing brand and the number of strobes you use but as a general rule, the more advanced the system, the bigger it is.

Each of us has their own priorities, preferences and budgets. Good luck sorting through them all! :D

THank you all so much for the info and suggestions.

I think i am going to go with the fuji f810. it seems to have a goofd reputation and the 6-12 megapixels should leave plenty of room for cropping and blowing up pictures.

now i just have to decide on the housing.
should i go with the ikelite that can atach aditional lenses and strobes or just go with the cheap factory housing?
Any suggestions on housing?? All this has been fun but i am ready to spend some money and take some pics

Thanks again for all the help guys

OK Bare with me......one last question from the noobie....
i think i narrowed it down to the fuji f810 zoom, but have a couuple final questions.

The f810 says it is a 6 megapixel cam but usses a ccd processor from the s7000 wich produces 12 MEGAPIXEL files. What exactly does that mean.

and i noticed the macro focus distance seems high (about 3 inches) compared to others, will it still take good macro shots? and does the 12 mp thing mean i can crop and enlarge the photos more than with the standard 6 mp??

(if this even makes sense to anyone please help)

Thanks in advance guys

the noobie

The ike F810 housing is USD300 (ike website). It is not very much more expensive than the manufacturer housing which is around USD200(converted from SGD). Due to its low price, this is the only housing that I would recommend to get the Ike over the manufacturer for photographers who are not demanding or just wanna splash in for the try-out. Unlike the fuji housing, there is no diffuser for the in-built flash, you will need to modify it a little.

If you don't want to spend the extra USD100, the manufacturer housing works well too and comes with the diffuser.

Go to fuji's website to look at their SuperCCD configuration. The arrangement of the sensor pixels is different. F810 is effectively a 6mpx, it interpolates the between the 4 surrounding sensor pixel to get the intermediate pixel to attain 12mpx. Their result is quite impressive.

Regarding the macro capabilities, if you're wanting to do true macros of itty bitty critters, with the Ike housing, you might want to consider an Inon macro lens.

well it seems like i cant go wrong with the f810
great image quality and definatly room to grow into with the diff lenses and strobes that can be used

Once again thank you all. I now feel like my money will be well spent

Dee:
Edwin gave some good advice.

Shutter lag has been mentioned repeatedly. Yes, can be a problem, but I don't think it's a big enough reason on it's own to go DSLR. Using the half-press method of pre-focusing cuts the shutter lag considerably.

This is right on target! And may I add that newer tech. PS, larger CCD sensors, faster memory cards and more lighting can cut the shutter lag to almost nothing.

The LCD viewing before taking the shot, to me is a greater advantage over the DSLR... except maybe the D2X. And I have been brought up on SLRs.

And the prices:

8080 $510 Ikelite Housing $ 550 (even lower with the F810)

Rebel $1000 Ikelite Housing $ 1200 plus lense???

Dive Safe

fyi-nikon 7900 focuses down to 1.6" in macro w/o any additional lenses. just got my ike. housing. awesome piece of machinery.$264 at b&h photo. camera mfg. and fantasea housings can't compare.most don't control all functions. this is my forth ike. maybe i'm a little bias.

well you guys just cnfused teh heck out me.

Do they make a digitalcamera for dummies book? :06:

oh well i think so far just about everyone agreed that the Fuji F 810 zoom would be a good cam for the price. RIght? ( dont mind spending $$ just hate to waste it)

thanks guys

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom