which 7 megapixel to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina:
Say it LOUD!
It isn't the tool, it's the artist.

Now some tools make some things eaiser etc, but the camera/brush/pen doesn't do the creating.

Right. Hand Ansel Adams a point-and-shoot with a fixed focus lens (heck, give him a Kodak Instamatic :11:) and hand me the latest technology, separate strobe, light meter, etc. Who wins? Ansel Adams, every time :wink:

Back on topic for Kap: Any camera at the (roughly) $400 price point and housing at the (roughly) $200 price point will make you quite happy.

Now, if money is no object, go up to a dSLR. Learn to photograph on dry land. By that, we mean composition, lighting, exposure, etc. I used to shoot film SLR a very long time ago, but some of my best shots (dry land) were taken w/ a P&S, because I felt more comfortable backpacking with a P&S than a Pentax.

I'm personally not looking to do publications w/ UW photos; all I want is to take good snapshots for souvenirs (& show friends), and maybe computer wallpaper. So, for me, a good digital P&S fills my need. I probably could do better shots (esp. w/ the shutter lag issue and the strobe) with a housed dSLR. However, misquoting Uncle Pug, you've also got to pay attention to the diving :crafty:

So, for UW, given my equipment limitations, the easiest good shots for me are close-ups. When the instructor (Chalo) took my camera, he went nose-to-nose w/ the critters. (When I go nose-to-nose with a critter, the critter runs away...). Now, when I look at the 1.2 GB of shots that I took, the ones I want to display are the ones where I got nose-to-nose with a critter. Fortunately, UW, most critters don't run away until you're really nose-to-nose. On dry land, I would not dare go nose-to-nose with a moose to get that one shot... (and no, my sister never got bitten by a moose)

hdtran:
On dry land, I would not dare go nose-to-nose with a moose to get that one shot... (and no, my sister never got bitten by a moose)

:eyebrow: You gotta be willing to go that extra mile!! :11:

alcina:
:jump: :bounce: :jump: :bounce: :jump: :bounce: :jump: :bounce: :jump:
Shopping is fun!

Typical woman! :wink:

But shopping for tech stuff is fun isn't it? Except when no one ships stuff out to your little tropical island in the middle of nowhere....

Thanks for the kudos ssra and Pug.

And yes i do agree that its not the tool, its the mind behind it.
Also, as hdtran says, it is all about what works for you and what you are happy with and what you are going to do with your shots.
A nice P&S is the perfect thing for the vast majority of people, it amazes me to see how many more people take cameras underwater these days with the ease and availability of digital. I like seeing this interest in photography and truly enjoy talking to people about it and helping them get better photos.

Interesting thread this has turned out to be...
Mike

I usually avoid specifics with pricing, but since they are in short supply, I'll bite-

We have a few of the Fuji F810 cameras in stock, full usa warranty, $499. The camera & Ikelite housing package was a hit at seaspace this weekend, and they won't last long.

I would also consider Canon's S70, especially considering the new Inon wetmate lens, the UWL-100 28 AD....

I was perfectly happy with my Oly C5050 with single Ikelite strobe. It just my annoying divebuddies who kept harassing me with their then Nikon F80 and bigger lenses. The credit card company also kept raising my limit and voila, now I have a D2X!
Often it is not the need to get better camera but it is the other idiotic factors that made a person want to upgrade.
Beside, shopping is fun.......well, until the credit card bill comes, anyhow.

And here I am still stalling over a housing for my landbased D70. Think I will invest in skills first (ie more dive trips) before I plunge headlong into a shopping spree :wink: But Alcina is right... shopping is fun..

Your going to get a lot of opinions on this site but one simple thought, make sure you can get lenses and a strobe for your unit. If you are going to advance along the path you are going to need at least a wide angle and a strobe.

Just my 2 psi worth.

Cheers

Scrummy1:
Your going to get a lot of opinions on this site but one simple thought, make sure you can get lenses and a strobe for your unit. If you are going to advance along the path you are going to need at least a wide angle and a strobe.

Just my 2 psi worth.

Cheers

I agree

Dive safe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom