which 7 megapixel to buy??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch:
Wow, must say i am truly shocked to hear you are still shooting film in your business. Don't get me wrong, i love film and still shoot my Nik V and 15mm underwater all the time. However, in your business i would think DIg would be a must to get photos into publishers etc pronto just to compete with the others.

And just think how many lenses you will be able to buy with money saved from processing...nice!
I shoot a lot of advertising, cataloge and a fair bit of editorial. The only time you need to be really fast with producing the shots is for spot news and I don't do that. Until the D2X came along Nikon didn't make a high enough raw capture camera that shot fast enough fps for my liking. Most of my f&P costs I also pass onto my clients. I'll continue to charge $1.00 per image shot when I make the switch to digital. I've got all the Nikon glass that I need now, but there are always more computers and fixtures for my boat... :D

Mike Veitch:
Wow, must say i am truly shocked to hear you are still shooting film in your business. Don't get me wrong, i love film and still shoot my Nik V and 15mm underwater all the time. However, in your business i would think DIg would be a must to get photos into publishers etc pronto just to compete with the others.

And just think how many lenses you will be able to buy with money saved from processing...nice!

In fact not by a long shot. The majority of covers one sees on any magazine news stand (Maxium, Cosmo, etc.) are done using Medium Fomat, and film. If you see Britney Spears on a cover, well her favorite publicity photographer is using a Contax 645, and ... film.

For some reason people believe that digital will replace film, and maybe it will. However it does not have to be one or the other. It can be both. The bottom line is the final image product, and the requirements for each image.

There is no point in using a tank to shoot an Elk, and likewise, there is no reason to use a 22mpix high end back to shoot products that will never see more than a 5x7 layout. The right tool for the job is a good way to judge things, and film remains a large part of many professional photographers toolkit.

Thats true, thats why my Nik V is within arms reach and i have a bag of Provia in the fridge!
Who said film is dead? Certainly not me. Read it again and you will see

My point was about newpaper and quick news media stuff, which in this day and age digital is the way as the shots need to get to the printer asap.
Take a look at the vast majority of landscape pros as well as the fashion stuff, majority still using MF and LF film.
Luckily i live in a small quaint little country and don't have to suffer with seeing Britney Spears on the cover of every magazine.... :)

Hello Ryan,

I am trying to find the camera you are speaking of below. Can you tell me a better location to find it?

Thank you

Ryan:
I usually avoid specifics with pricing, but since they are in short supply, I'll bite-

We have a few of the Fuji F810 cameras in stock, full usa warranty, $499. The camera & Ikelite housing package was a hit at seaspace this weekend, and they won't last long.

I would also consider Canon's S70, especially considering the new Inon wetmate lens, the UWL-100 28 AD....

Well it has been a while , but i actually ended up getting the Cannon S70. I found a good deal on ebay so I swooped on it. it ariived sooner than i expected too ( always a bonus) so i fired it up and have been msessing around a little bit in the little free time i have had,and I am very happy!! The pics i have taken look great. Well not quite up to "great" standards in this forum, but great for me. I would like to put a couple on this thread but not quite sure how yet. What resolution or size should i set the pics too so i can post??
any input would be appreciated
More info and opinions on the camera soon.

ok i uploaded some pics to my gallery(couldn't figure out how to post the m in the thread). ANY comments or suggestions on how to improve these pics would be greatly appreciated. I am sorry to say they are not UW photos but hopefully ill be there soon. Anyways they are all macro shots and i did take a couple of pics of each one and chose teh best.

Thanks for the input.

PS thank you all for helping me in my quest for a first camera!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom