Whew! Completed Tec Deep!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flightlead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This weekend I achieved my Scubaboard challenge goal of Tech Deep by the end of the year, with 2 months to spare.

I started this journey in early January with NAUI NTECH, followed by PADI/DSAT Tec 1 & 2 path in March. This was the toughest thing I have done in scuba, and I really feel like I earned this certification. Along the way I also certified as a Trimix Gas Blender.

Before I started tech I thought I was a pretty good diver, and I probably was in a purely recreational context. I had over a hundred dives, most in cold water and limited to no visibility conditions, I had at least 30 dives in doubles and probably 15 in a drysuit. Man, my first tech class was a disaster, took my arrogant butt down a peg or two I can tell you. A very frustrating experience!

Now I'm comfortable holding a stop mid water within a foot, without reference, for 20 or more minutes, while managing two stages (80's) switching multiple gasses, manipulating valves, all while having my fins and mask stolen by sadistic instructors. My gas management skills, dive planning, and understanding of decompression are all much more advanced. My recreational diving is much improved also, as I could tell this past weekend at Vortoberfest (the first non-training dives w/o deco bottles in a looooong time).

My heartfelt thanks to Bobby and John of South East Technical Scuba (southeasttechnicalscuba.com) without whose patience, knowledge, experience, and encouragement I couldn't have done it. If you are considering technical instruction in the South East, I heartily recommend pm-ing daddyjohn or deepdaddybob here on sb. Thanks guys!

All that work just to look at a bunch of rusted cars in the black depths of the local quarry (155' and 42 degrees)? Gotta find somewhere to use those skills now :D

Congrats on achieving Your goal.
You could use Your new skills on the Oriskany, see if you can get Bobby and John to get a group up and book a charter with us in the near future.

WELL DONE! Now you are ready to dive the Great Lakes! Now it's time to learn to ICE DIVE!

Carolyn:shark2:

Congrats on achieving Your goal.
You could use Your new skills on the Oriskany, see if you can get Bobby and John to get a group up and book a charter with us in the near future.

I know we have been talking about it for a while. We have 2-4 more divers who are close to starting the second part of the class. I think when they get done it will happen.

WELL DONE! Now you are ready to dive the Great Lakes! Now it's time to learn to ICE DIVE!

Carolyn:shark2:

brrrrr......although the great lakes wrecks are definitely on my list of must do.

Congrats!!!

May I ask, how much (or little) do you think your naui intro to tech class helped you with your dsat t1 & t2 classes?

Congrats!!!

May I ask, how much (or little) do you think your naui intro to tech class helped you with your dsat t1 & t2 classes?

Thank you Rick. I read your post on your deep wreck class with great interest, congrats to you on that.

Frankly, I think it helped very little. I had done a lot of research and reading, including "DIR: The Fundamentals of Better Diving" and "Dress For Success" and felt I pretty much understood and agreed with the philosophy, gear configuration, reasoning, choices etc. The DSAT Tec 1 course covered everything in the NAUI course and then some. NOTE: I am talking about the DSAT course as taught by my instructors, not necessarily as the DSAT materials would have you believe :D Seemed to me the NAUI course was more an introduction to what technical diving is all about, and the DSAT course focused specifically on the skills necessary to be able to plan dives, complete deco safely, manage emergencies etc. The course of dives laid out in the DSAT program seems to be more thought out and lead the student through a progression of learning skills, whereas the NAUI seemed more like the instructor was just evaluating skills rather than teaching them. This of course might be a difference in instructors as well.

The NAUI course materials were not anywhere near as good as the DSAT materials (if you discount the stupid pictures/video and comments like "get your teammate to hold your legs when you blow a bag"). The DSAT materials are in a well written book, with plently of reference tables, and a good learning progression. The materials I got for the NAUI course were a thin sheaf of photocopied powerpoint slides. DSAT materials appear to be produced by people who write educational materials professionally, the NAUI materials looked like some tech divers sat down over the weekend with some beers and a laptop :D

hth

PS, I am mostly NAUI trained and MUCH prefer their non-tech stuff to PADI and appreciate the fact that the NAUI courses are about 1/2 step above the same PADI course (e.g. NAUI O/W includes some rescue and advanced, NAUI master includes some of PADI dm etc etc)

Thank God you got thru your program, now we will not have to hear you talking about getting ready for it over and over again, month after month...... :D Congrats on your success and I bet you will find some new dive opts as a result. :)

Thank God you got thru your program, now we will not have to hear you talking about getting ready for it over and over again, month after month...... :D Congrats on your success and I bet you will find some new dive opts as a result. :)

:rofl3:

It wasn't my getting ready for it that you suffered through, it was tales of how bad I screwed up!

Hopefully it wasn't too onerous to plough through those posts week after week :D

:rofl3:

It wasn't my getting ready for it that you suffered through, it was tales of how bad I screwed up!

Hopefully it wasn't too onerous to plough through those posts week after week :D

We have suffered worse fates (nereas-- :shakehead:) !!!!!! :D :lotsalove: :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom