Hello from NE FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradlw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi
new member.

I'm a rusty diver with about 21 years of rust on my dive gear. Just sort of drifted into other life distractions not long after finishing my trimix training. I had hoped back then to find some tech divers to dive with down in S florida. Was hoping to dive some of the wrecks down there that are beyond the recreational limits. That was back in the day before recreation trimix and all the mainstream organizations doing tech diving so I imagine those wrecks were less trafficked back then. Anyway, I always enjoyed the wrecks down in the SE Florida area....well anything a little more challenging....depth current, etc...

My certs:
SSI OW (cert in 1994, in a 40 degree cold Virginia quarry), AOW, & Divecon in 1997​
IANTD Nitrox (back when it was still considered to be technical & required multiple class sessions + training dives), Advanced EANx, Deep Air, Tech Diver, & Trimix Diver​
IANTD EANx Gas Blender & Trimix Gas Blender​

I've got three kids now (currently 17, 14, and 11). They aren't really showing huge passion begging to learn diving but I've been thinking of doing a family adventure vacation and get my wife and kids certified. Figure that it may either spark a passion, or not. Either way it'll be a vacation with a purpose and memories of time spent together. Figuring I'll either pay for a refresher or just pay for the class for myself if I have to so that I can "audit" the training with my kids....more thorough refresher + it'll have me up to speed with what they were taught and how.

I was originally trying to find some all inclusive resort somewhere in Florida where we could do it all at one place, ideally stay and train next to the boat dock, never having to drive anywhere except maybe to dinner. Struck out finding a place like that + my wife doesn't want to spend "the whole vacation doing SCUBA class", so now I've just about settled on the idea of doing it through a local shop with training dives over in the springs of Florida.

Anyway, I now have my wheels turning my head back into diving and I'm starting to think about how many of the little things I have forgotten. Stupid little things that I used to know.... how much lead I needed when wearing a shorty in salt water, at what temperature I needed to wear my "farmer john" or my hood, etc... I know all that stuff will be different now that I'm old and much more cold natured, but still.... I've got some gear to dust off and some mental refreshing to do!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom