Where's all the new guys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like everybody got a piece of this one. But Chuck did hit it out of the water. I think dry suit diving for cold blooded individuals should have been introduced during certification, myself , I don't get cold. And I dive wet and dry. I also think its to extreme for most. A lot of people fear the water. For good reason. We are traveling in inner space, tied to life support. It sure does change ones prospective on life. its changed me forever.

Speaking of buddy's, Im on the sonoma coast and I am a responsible diver, cert for 3 + years with over 150 dives. And free diving and fishing the north coast for 15 years on and off. I need to do my bio. But I dive with some experienced divers and I think I do well in the water. I have a small boat. A Boston Whaler. Perfect for 2. I prefer to stay in Sonoma and Mendocino. But sometimes go to Monterey. to be honest after diving up north and south. hands down. north coast rocks! If you haven't dove Sonoma and Mendo, Then you need to come up and dive with me and my friends. here at . http://www.northcoastdivers.org/ I dive the Channel Islands often. Doing it this weekend. And its off to Seattle next month. I spearfish, I don't shoot everything. Im a selective shooter. getting into photos, and I also own 2 kayaks. This is new with me. Think its the future for me and diving. Always looking for like minded individuals to do the weekend warrior thing. I camp as often as possible on the north coast. If this sounds like its your thing thing. Let me know because, Im not one of those guys that got cert and didn't fall in love with diving. and who knows. Maybe we could be friends? also interested in pursuing reef, and fish count, and cleaning up the environment. just a recreational diver having fun. Brian Mck. Im new to the board.

Ben_ca:
Okey I was looking around the Breakwater this weekend and there were about 40-50 student divers it seems... provided some may have been doing AOW or Rescue ect... but say 50 get OW certed every weekend in Monterey(counting Macabee and Lovers) where are all these guys?

Scubaboard is easy to find and then there's also Ba_diving. Chuck how many new guys sign up for Ba_diving every month? Figure that's at least 150 new divers every month?

Where are they?

Ben!!

I think I hear your mother calling you!!

It is past your bed time!!:D

RoyN:
You do most if not all of the dive reports anyway so that takes away duty number one, gear reviews probably goes into the gear forum so that knocks down the conversation, pictures probably go into the gallery unless some can't afford a waterproof digital camera or may have gotten it flooded, and feedback from their classes, some probably don't know if this forum even exist. Also its getting close to the final exam so theres some of us. Also, not really an accurate statistic, but almost close is some people take the open water class is to become vacation divers like once a year vacation to Hawaii where they go underwater, use their inflator to go up and down, don't know how to kick properly, knock into fragile corals in seconds where it took the coral millions of years to form and etc, pretty much a swimming accident waiting to happen. I sound grumpy? Yep after losing a $200 dollar camera where it mysteriously got flooded would probably make me not a happy camper at the moment.

Got DEPP??? Roy. tell me you had insurence???? I preach it all of the time to photographers!!! Insurence is not expensive and anyone with a camera should have it.

I am sorry Roy I really am not trying to rub it in, I do hope you had insurence and either way I am sorry for your loss!!

zvinzonz:
Hey Ben maybe it would have been easier to find all those guys if you gave them your Certified Dive Buddy card while at the Breakwater lol. Oh wait a minute that's not you that's Fred lol.

Actually Chuck's right about some of them getting certified and then don't dive anymore. I talked to some of them before and they swear that they won't dive in Monterey again because it's too cold.

Sorry off topic!!! Trevor at glens aqurius, he through fred out this weekend!!

Fred grabbed a magazine, Trevor told him there where no dive buddy lists in there so put it back and get on down the road:rofl3: Sorry I have a sick sense of humor

Ben_ca:
Finally met John Yasaki last month at Capt Aquas.... and we got talking about toys....

Me: Yeah I love my scooter it get's me way out there really fast.....

John Y: Hmmm really? So how long does it take you to get to Ball buster? :D

:11doh: :D

Bwaaaa Haaa:rofl3: John is cool and it sounds like he got you Ben

Hmmm...... Have I hijacked your thread yet?/

Jim Ernst:
Got DEPP??? Roy. tell me you had insurence???? I preach it all of the time to photographers!!! Insurence is not expensive and anyone with a camera should have it.

I am sorry Roy I really am not trying to rub it in, I do hope you had insurence and either way I am sorry for your loss!!

The camera dried up and got back to working...until I lost it AGAIN at the Farallon Island on Wednesday because seven people suddenly pushed the panic button. Long story anywhere so you'll probably get bored by it. :D

RoyN:
The camera dried up and got back to working...until I lost it AGAIN at the Farallon Island on Wednesday because seven people suddenly pushed the panic button. Long story anywhere so you'll probably get bored by it. :D
:popcorn:

so what were you doing at the Farallons?

I think the hardest thing to do is find a buddy. I happened to take my OW in tropical waters and my AOW was done with people that only want to be tropical divers only(rented all their gear) So I was pretty much out of luck when it comes out to finding a buddy in class.

I myself have about 20 dives under my belt and just finished my AOW. So if anyone needs a buddy give me a shout. Able to dive any day of the week :)Dself employed:D)

Ben_ca:
:popcorn:

so what were you doing at the Farallons?

I'm not telling you :p, it is so sad you have to hear it from me in person. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom