Where would you go on your first Caribbean trip if you could do it over??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underachiever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just so many great choices. I have been asking a few questions from you folks trying to figure out where to go on our first island adventure (and getting great responses) and I think we may be getting more confused.

A little history.
We have 30+ dives under our belt (cert. in March 06), all in Key Largo. (AOW and Nitrox cert.) Have done the Speigel twice. Both double dips. The first time was awesome. Only boat and very little current. The second time was just the opposite. We learned what the term "like a flag on the line" meant. Have also done Carysfort a few times (60 ft and a wall) Swim throughs at Christmas tree caves. Many nurse sharks a few huge groupers and a couple of reef sharks. One octopus and one turtle, both on one of our 2 night dives. We plan to take one island trip / year and 4 or 5 long weekend trips to the keys or west palm area, fla. springs, etc. each year.

Have looked so far at Cayman Brac Reef Resort (Valet diving sounds nice), FI on Roatan, A few places in Cozumel, Bonaire(have not done any shore diving) but have not ruled out anything. BVI's, turks and Caicos, Belize, Bermuda. Would love to see some big stuff but enjoy finding and taking photos of the small stuff too. Would love to get a picture of a seahorse. Whale shark would be great too. Great visibility is a high priority.

Is the all-inclusive meal plan worth it?
Is it a buffet or from the menu. Or does it vary from resort to resort? If it does then compare Cozumel to Brac Reef Resort? Not big drinkers but the AI with 2 or 3 adult beverages/day seem nice also.

How much trouble getting to some of the smaller islands? Can the best deals come from and dive travel agent or putting our own package together.

Other activities are not a big deal although Cozumel looked attractive with the Mayan (sp?) Ruins and would be nice to do a cenotes. Other than that just chilling on the beach after day of diving can't be beat.

SO. If you could do your first Carribbean dive again , where would you go? Or where did you go and why? Money is a consideration but not the deciding factor(Cayman Brac is about the max). Needs to be in the Carribbean or close by. Time frame is March, April or June(flexible). Or is there a better time of the year? Havn't got the passports back yet.

Thanks in advance for the info. Would love to meet up with someone from Scubaboard too.

The same place I went the first time Bonaire.
Given the number of dives you say you have it is the perfect place to get started.
You can dive as much or as little as you want to.
There is no current to speak of at most dive sites.
There is loads to see underwater
Short single tank boat rides.
Unlimited shore diving.
These are not cattle boat dives, you are left to get on with your own diving. You dive your own dive plan, normally only a max time to return to the boat.
Unlimited shore dives both day and night, I love to do a dusk dive and or an early morning sunrise dive.

Personally I would not go all inclusive to any resort as I like to try all the local resteraunts, but that is me.

You don't drink much on dive trips as diving and a hangover don't mix. So I would not worry about that.

As to where to stay, loads of choice just ask around on the board.

my first carribean dives were a liveaboard, and i really liked it - carribean explorer 2.

victor:
The same place I went the first time Bonaire.
Given the number of dives you say you have it is the perfect place to get started.
You can dive as much or as little as you want to.
There is no current to speak of at most dive sites.
There is loads to see underwater
Short single tank boat rides.
Unlimited shore diving.
These are not cattle boat dives, you are left to get on with your own diving. You dive your own dive plan, normally only a max time to return to the boat.
Unlimited shore dives both day and night, I love to do a dusk dive and or an early morning sunrise dive.

Personally I would not go all inclusive to any resort as I like to try all the local resteraunts, but that is me.

You don't drink much on dive trips as diving and a hangover don't mix. So I would not worry about that.

As to where to stay, loads of choice just ask around on the board.

YES YES YES YES YES - - my first caribbean trip was to Bonaire - No regrets whatsoever!!!

My second Caribbean trip was to COCO View in Roatan

My third Caribbean was back to Boanire

I am doing COCO View and Saba in 2007!

Costa Maya, Mexico. Great diving, crystal clear water, beautiful barrier reef; tons of wildlife. Hard to get to and uncrowded. Use Marco Martin with Dreamtime Diving and you will find it one of the best dive values anywhere.
I have been to Bahamas, Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan and scheduled for Utila in April. I liked some better than others but Costa Maya is my favorite.

Bonaire, not my first but the one I prefer. I have been to Freeport Bahamas, Curacao, Cozumel and Roatan. All were nice and I would do them all again but of them all Bonaire is my favorite. Planning trip #10 now. I would suggest you add Curacao to your list, it's second on my favorites list.

I would not suggest an all inclusive on any island except Roatan. Most of the other islands have plenty of good places to eat.

I'd go to the "European Caribbean," otherwise known as the Red Sea.

In our hemisphere, I'd return to Belize... but would like to taste Bonaire for the first time.

My first was Bonaire. Many years and places later I still think it's a great first choice.

well... seeing as i've only ever been diving to three places in the Caribbean (Grand Cayman, Bonaire, and Roatan), my answer is not exactly based on lots of experience, but i would answer, without a doubt ...

..... Bonaire

Even though my truck was siphoned at Karpata, my overall experience on Bonaire at the Carib Inn was ideal. The shore diving was so wonderful that I never even made it onto the boat dives.

For comparison, I've been to St. John, Glover's Atoll, Grand Bahama, Cozumel, Costa Rica and the Riviera Maya.

As for other places in the world, Indonesia and Fiji are my faves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom