Where to try out equipment in KL, Malaysia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

panicdiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm wondering where can I try out different BCD (mainly back inflation - zeagle OR back plate - don't care any brand) in swimming pool in K.L. or areas around it? I've heard that some dive shop 'offer' this kind of service. Of course there will be charges, I understand that.

Pass me any info if you got any. Help will be much appreciated.

Thanks and good day.

Bye

panicdiver:
Hi everybody,

I'm wondering where can I try out different BCD (mainly back inflation - zeagle OR back plate - don't care any brand) in swimming pool in K.L. or areas around it? I've heard that some dive shop 'offer' this kind of service. Of course there will be charges, I understand that.

Pass me any info if you got any. Help will be much appreciated.

Thanks and good day.

Bye
Call Mike Tong at 61-3-2146-2631 and ask him. I am sure he can help. Mike runs NAUI for AsiaPacific and is a great guy.

NAUI Pacific Rim Services
16 Jalan Utara, Off Jalan Imbi
55100 Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia

Tim Wong:
I'm not sure many dive shops here in KL has that service. If you find one post their contact details here, I would like to try some out also.

well, not KL but if you're penang give seatrek a call. i know they have eqt you could try out. there's an on-site public pool there.

disclaimer - i'm a DM candidate there. i thought it's kinda neat they let you try stuff out in the water (it's located in a public swiming pool facility). one day i might even finish the internship, ha ha ha.

Lanun is this the same seatrek that was once located in Rawang?

Tim Wong:
Lanun is this the same seatrek that was once located in Rawang?

i don't think so. John Low started it in penang as far as i know. i did run across another store named seatrek outside of penang - that might be the one you're referring to. Rawang ? wow. is there a river dive there ?

i haven't been to the store in a while but last i recall he had jacket, backinflate (zeagle), flat and split fins, numerous masks including apollo (pricey at 300 RM but am told it's very comfy).

oh, and if anyone want to try BP/wing when in penang, let me know. you could try mine - either SS or AL plate, 30lbs wing, with or without STA for the SS, with STA for the AL. and my long hose set up. and jet fins - one pair with spring strap, one without. and a drysuit as well. i also have an old zeagle contact II with octo+ - unused fr 3 yrs, though.

Hey Lanun. You must be within 1-2 hours speed boat ride to the Langkawi area right? Are there any land based resorts in the Payar area that you would recommend? Thinking of taking a week off and do nothing but countless shore log dives.

Tim Wong:
Hey Lanun. You must be within 1-2 hours speed boat ride to the Langkawi area right? Are there any land based resorts in the Payar area that you would recommend? Thinking of taking a week off and do nothing but countless shore log dives.

Port Swettenham to Pulau Payar takes about 90 minutes. Boat leaves at 9'ish, and at 10:30 starts docking maneuvers at Payar. I heard someone opened day use chalets on the island, but there is no land based resort per se.

if you want your log book to fill-up, you'd need to make arrangements ahead of time. there's a few sites around Payar, but the boats might hit similar ones on sucessive days.

however, to broaden your experience, there's the pier, the house reef, the reef beside/beneath the platform. figure 2 dives to log. then there's coral garden, and grouper farm - 2 more - or depending on current, maybe 3 distinct dives. so that's 5. then there's Pulau Kaca and Pulau Lembu, maybe 4 variations to your dives to log. 9 dives. there used to be an option to do overnighters on the Langkawi Coral platform. if that's still the case, then you can maybe add a couple more different experiences with night and dawn dives.

by the way, Payar can be great when it's good. but it's not my first choice if what i want to do is log sufficient dives. i'd suggest doing one of the east coast islands when they're open.

regds

Thanks for the info bro. Yes, I have dove Segantang and Kaca before. But it was on a liveaboard. It is a bummer that they do not allow anyone to "tumpang" at the floating jetty restaurant area anymore since a Japaneese died there. Not sure what the actual cause was but it is not related to diving. Other wise you are right, the jetty area is a good diving spot for logging dives. Heard this from a friend.

Back
Top Bottom