Just got Open Water Cert, Question on Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nnhood

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello,

I just got my open water cert last week, I was actually doing pretty good with bouyancy in the pool.
Then we went to a Quarry and went from 3mm to 7mm wetsuits and a Halcyon BCD with backplate which I didn't use in the pool.

Everyone seems to say Halcyon is great and you'll never need another BCD, but I really didn't like the weight of the plate.
Any suggestions of another brand that is also reliable? I've seen ScubaPro, Cressi, Zeagle, and probably a few others.

Not trying to be cheap and just pay $200.00 or something, willing to spend for good equipment.

Thank you!!
Matt

If the weight of the plate was an issue, I assume it was stainless steel. You can probably get the same plate in aluminum.

I would take a look at Dive Gear Express packages with an aluminum plate.

DW

Hello,

I just got my open water cert last week, I was actually doing pretty good with bouyancy in the pool.
Then we went to a Quarry and went from 3mm to 7mm wetsuits and a Halcyon BCD with backplate which I didn't use in the pool.

Everyone seems to say Halcyon is great and you'll never need another BCD, but I really didn't like the weight of the plate.
Any suggestions of another brand that is also reliable? I've seen ScubaPro, Cressi, Zeagle, and probably a few others.

Not trying to be cheap and just pay $200.00 or something, willing to spend for good equipment.

Thank you!!
Matt
Do you really need a backplate?

It's only needed for double tanks for long and deep dives (unless you sidemount your double tanks).

Many people dive happily with jacket style BCD:s.

Do you really need a backplate?

It's only needed for double tanks for long and deep dives (unless you sidemount your double tanks).

Many people dive happily with jacket style BCD:s.

Totally false. I dive single tank BPW and it’s so much better than a jacket bcd. Easier for travel too.

I really didn't like the weight of the plate.
You need a given amount of ballast to combat the flotation of the wetsuit. If you go with a lighter plate, you need more lead bricks -- there's no free lunch. The heavier plate is advantageous because it positions the ballast up high which has a tendency to counter being "leg-heavy". If all your ballast is in the form of lead bricks around your waist, you're liable to look like a sea horse, have buoyancy issues, and burn through air faster. Of course, it is possible to put lead bricks up high (avoiding the sea horse pose), but the advantage of a lighter plate is when checking in your bag at the airport.

You need a given amount of ballast to combat the flotation of the wetsuit. If you go with a lighter plate, you need more lead bricks -- there's no free lunch. The heavier plate is advantageous because it positions the ballast up high which has a tendency to counter being "leg-heavy". If all your ballast is in the form of lead bricks around your waist, you're liable to look like a sea horse, have buoyancy issues, and burn through air faster. Of course, it is possible to put lead bricks up high (avoiding the sea horse pose), but the advantage of a lighter plate is when checking in your bag at the airport.
For me, the aluminum plate is also nice for being less head heavy in steel doubles.

DW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom