Where to try out equipment in KL, Malaysia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lanun:
Port Swettenham to Pulau Payar takes about 90 minutes. Boat leaves at 9'ish, and at 10:30 starts docking maneuvers at Payar. I heard someone opened day use chalets on the island, but there is no land based resort per se.

if you want your log book to fill-up, you'd need to make arrangements ahead of time. there's a few sites around Payar, but the boats might hit similar ones on sucessive days.

however, to broaden your experience, there's the pier, the house reef, the reef beside/beneath the platform. figure 2 dives to log. then there's coral garden, and grouper farm - 2 more - or depending on current, maybe 3 distinct dives. so that's 5. then there's Pulau Kaca and Pulau Lembu, maybe 4 variations to your dives to log. 9 dives. there used to be an option to do overnighters on the Langkawi Coral platform. if that's still the case, then you can maybe add a couple more different experiences with night and dawn dives.

by the way, Payar can be great when it's good. but it's not my first choice if what i want to do is log sufficient dives. i'd suggest doing one of the east coast islands when they're open.

regds

Lanun. How else can I pack my log book and not have a hole in my pocket (Langkawi area)??? Suggestions??? Thanks.

Tim Wong:
Lanun. How else can I pack my log book and not have a hole in my pocket (Langkawi area)??? Suggestions??? Thanks.
well, this thread was a RM550 trip i was on. full board :11ztongue

http://www.scubaboard.com/t55378-.html

other ideas - Salang Beach, Tioman ?
day 1 (arrive by morning boat) - late morning, after lunch, late afternoon, night = 4 dives all from shore.

day 2 2 boat dives, then 1 late afternoon shore, 1 night = 4 dives.

day 3 2 boat dives, pre-dusk dive = 3 dives.

day 4 2 boat dives, 1 late afternoon dive = 3 dives.

day 5 1 pre-dawn dive, 1 morning dive, 1 late morning dive = 3 dives.
take 3 pm boat home.

total = 17 dives = 6 boat dives (RM360 ?) + 11 shore dives (RM330 ?). accomodations maybe with a buddy ~ RM40 per day = RM200.
drinks - bring a portable water filter, and say Eno or Ribena ~ RM10.
food - bananas RM 3 per day (RM15),other stuff like breakfast, lunch, dinner varies (boat dives include lunch, by the way).

either way, you gotta spend money to get to the location.

Waaah.............Lanun. You can really "ikat". Ha...ha...ha...ha. Thanks for the Tioman suggestion Bro. How about Langkawi / P.Jarak? Any suggestions?

Tim Wong:
Waaah.............Lanun. You can really "ikat". Ha...ha...ha...ha. Thanks for the Tioman suggestion Bro. How about Langkawi / P.Jarak? Any suggestions?

Langkawi ? not sure. as far as i know, the div ops come to payar anyway, try a search. i think someone mentioned other (1 or 2) sites closer to LGK.

P Jerejak = never tried it. between Bayan Lepas and the island it's quite shallow and muddy with boat traffic. P Jarak - tak pernah dengar :p .

12 nautical miles (or thereabouts) offa the tip of PEN is Pulau Kendi. never dive there but i did make a boat trip out to check out the water. looks divable (currents, lower viz), and a few sunken tralwers but frequented by fisherman who occasionally trawl close to the bay. used to be (long time ago) a place where AOW got done. nice place to practice navigation :wink:

there's also some islands offa Kedah - one a former bombing range, with purportedly divable locations. i might try that one day. so, in theory, there could be about 5-6 dive sits within an hour of penang. options to get there ? fishing boat :)

OK Lanun. Keep me posted if you find a new dive site on the West coast. Can name the dive site after you :)) You never heard of Pulau Jarak?? It is about 35 miles from Lumut. This is one of the only 2 places on the west coast (the other being Langkawi) to dive during the monsoon season. Liveaboards will depart from Kuala Selangor and the journey is about 8 hours. Prices on liveaboards are a bit on the high side at the moment as that is the only option available. Vis is average (20-30 feet) but has lots of micro if you are into photography. Drop me a personal message if you are planing your next trip. Will be glad to dive with you if my schedule allows me. Cheers Bro.

In any case, if you still wanna try the BCDs in KL, you can try out the Global Scuba branch at the Lodge Hotel. Shouldn't cost you more than RM20 if you're bringing your own reg as well..

panicdiver:
Hi everybody,

I'm wondering where can I try out different BCD (mainly back inflation - zeagle OR back plate - don't care any brand) in swimming pool in K.L. or areas around it? I've heard that some dive shop 'offer' this kind of service. Of course there will be charges, I understand that.

Pass me any info if you got any. Help will be much appreciated.

Thanks and good day.

Bye

I have a Zeagle Ranger and a backplate (same setup with Lanun) if you wanna borrow it. As for the tank and pool, PM me.

Back
Top Bottom