Where to stay Panglao/Alona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's dividing the community somehow. Some of the locals are happy about the extra revenue(politicians, businessmen of course) and some aren't happy with the influx of tourists. It is a small island after all. Personally, I don't see the need. Tagbilaran can cover their tourism needs. Wake up people, we don't want another Boracay. But of course, my opinions don't count since I'm not from there.

When I was last there, from what I've heard, only one family hasn't sold their land and they're being strong armed into selling. Ahh...the power of eminent domain.

alona is quiet, unless you stay near the oops bar on disco night.:D its probably the only nightlife there. there are restaurants but mostly in the resorts which are right beside each other. the outdoor grill there serves mouthwatering seafood.

the sand in the beach is just as fine as boracay's and the water is alive with fish and corals as against just sand and algae in boracay. i could live in alona all my life.

Citrinette - I'll be there at Genesis between the 9th and the 14th of March. If you're still around and want to hang out with another canuck, drop me a line.

It's dividing the community somehow. Some of the locals are happy about the extra revenue(politicians, businessmen of course) and some aren't happy with the influx of tourists. It is a small island after all. Personally, I don't see the need. Tagbilaran can cover their tourism needs. Wake up people, we don't want another Boracay. But of course, my opinions don't count since I'm not from there.

Is this a case of Tagbilaran not having enough space to expand for larger planes or just some pork barrel crap by local Panglao politicians/ business interests?

I'm not really sure Mike.

Here's an interesting article

It does seem that we've exploited the island of Boracay to capacity plus (ya think!?!). That is why we're developing further down the coast. I did hear that Caticlan is the next boom town. I do know of several investors building a 500 hectare condo/resort/shopping center complex near the Caticlan airport. I just hope that the good people in the Alona area have the sense to NOT let their beautiful place get slammed into the tourism business/garbage dump. I am amazed at how a good thing gets exploited to the point of exploding......back to my "do things responsibly" mantra.

I'm not really sure Mike.

Here's an interesting article

thanks Marv,

ha... I love this line...

"The number of whale-watching and dive operator boats currently take up half the available space on Alona beach. Increasing this six-fold will make the beach look like Manila harbor rather than a relaxing stretch of white sand."

Thanks for the info, guys! It's hard to see what's happening by just looking at the pics and google earth :)

Hopefully, they're not going to ruin Panglao (like they did in Boracay) environmentally. Mactan is just a short distance away, and there's even an airport in Tagbilaran.

In the article Proposed Panglao International Airport makes no Sense
"Unfortunately, transfer from Mactan Airport to the pier also takes about two hours, and requires dealing with the rather hectic traffic situation between Lapu-Lapu city and Cebu."

Does the transfer really take so long? Maybe just due to peak hour traffic? What is the non-peak hour transfer time (by cab)?
It is our 1st time to Panglao & our eta s 4+am...

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom