Where to stay in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m5tsai

Reaction score
My husband and I are thinking of going to Roatan in mid-Oct for a week. Never been there, but have heard good things about it. We've been to Cozumel, Aruba, St. Kitts, Caymans, Turks, etc., mostly all-inclusive resorts that do a lot of diving.

This time, we're looking for diving for most of the time, but one or two nights maybe venture out to see some local activities, not bar hopping, just leasure shopping maybe. Definitely shore diving is wanted, and prefer small dive ops. 6~8 per boat will be nice, with dive op setting up the tanks and stuff if possible. (One of our friend had a major shoulder surgery in the beginning of the year after a Hawaii trip incident, if the dive op can accommdate, he and others may come as well). We like food, so good food is always appreciated, with local fare mixed in instead of just all american fare. Likes to have a fresh water pool if possible, and beach to just doze off by the sea.

Is it too much to ask? I've read about a bit about Roatan and Utila, and knowing Utila probably is better for diving, but for the first time, just want to check out the place first before our usual group of 10+ comes next time, which includes kids and non-divers.

The places I've noticed: Reef House Resort, Las Rocas,Island Pearl, Luna Beach Resort, AKR, CCV. Of the criteria above, what will be a good choice for us?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Personally I have only been to AKR, which I absolutely adore. (I will be there for the 7th time in October.) However, it doesn't meet some of the criteria you mentioned, so I will just tell you what I know about it with regards to the things you mentioned.

The dive boats sometimes carry up to 12 people on them, but they are fairly big, so its not too bad and then on some dives there are only a couple of divers. Also, they don't normally set up your gear (which I don't like anyway) but if you want that done, I am sure you could ask the boat crew and they would probably do it for you. There is shore diving there, but I haven't done any, other than a night dive to the small plane wreck that is right off the docks. But I have heard that its very nice if you go on the far side of the key.

There is a small beach on the key and another small one on Bailey's key by the dolphins, and a new swimming pool (that I haven't seen since it was completed), but its not like the gorgeous beach at West Bay. However, the resort is very beautiful, the rooms are comfortable, the food is excellent and the staff are all very nice and friendly. Plus, I really enjoy hearing the dolphins at night and doing the dolphin snorkel.

As for shopping, the island is small, so you can take a 5 minute taxi ride from AKR to West End if you want to do some shopping and bar hopping. We almost always spend at least one evening down in West End.

I don't know what your friend with the bad shoulder would need, so I can't help you there. But they do have a clinic with a doctor always on call and the chamber is located right by the boat dock.

Also, if you are bringing kids, they have a great kids dolphin program during the summer, that keeps them busy while the parents dive. Also there is horseback riding, kayaking and snorkeling for them, and if you take an island tour, the iguana farm is pretty neat and the canopy tour is also very fun.

I hope this information helps you with your decision. And I think you will really love Roatan, no matter where you decide to stay. It is a really beautiful island and it is not all built up like many of the other popular diving islands.

Dion :)

Have dove at AKR and Coco View. Both are nice but Coco View has a little more of what you are looking for. They will set up your gear for the boat dives and they have great shore diving, far better than AKR. But the boats do often have run with up to + 10 divers but they are good sized and the boat rides very short. The food is good but I can not say great. Don't know of anyone who runs 6 pack boats like in Coz but I am sure others will have more ideas...

m5tsai:
This time, we're looking for diving for most of the time, but one or two nights maybe venture out to see some local activities, not bar hopping, just leasure shopping maybe.

Shopping is not what the Bay Islands is known for. Right now, go there to dive, not much else.

Definitely shore diving is wanted,

CCV has the single best shore dive in Roatan. I done 'em all.

and prefer small dive ops. 6~8 per boat will be nice, with dive op setting up the tanks and stuff if possible. (One of our friend had a major shoulder surgery in the beginning of the year after a Hawaii trip incident, if the dive op can accommdate, he and others may come as well).

Not sure if both statements are related. The most stable and easiest accessable boats on the island are at CoCoView. They are designed for 27 divers but are assigned 15-18, but with the shore diving, usualy 13 people are found on any given boat. If you touch your tanks all week the dock boys may be offended. If you want something else carried for you, just ask. The boats have a center cut "moon well" access, see http://www.cocoviewresort.com/boats.html

We like food, so good food is always appreciated, with local fare mixed in instead of just all american fare.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/ccv/vpost?id=567202&highlight=food
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/ccv/vpost?id=323673&highlight=food

Likes to have a fresh water pool if possible, and beach to just doze off by the sea.

FIBR has a pool, sometimes. CCV has a hot tub. Do a bit more research on the Bay Islands before you "doze off by the sea". Unless you are covered in Deet, the sand flies will strip you to the bones.

Is it too much to ask? I've read about a bit about Roatan and Utila, and knowing Utila probably is better for diving, but for the first time, just want to check out the place first before our usual group of 10+ comes next time, which includes kids and non-divers.

If you have kids, go to AKR, if you have non-divers try Cancun or Cozumel.

The places I've noticed: Reef House Resort, Las Rocas,Island Pearl, Luna Beach Resort, AKR, CCV. Of the criteria above, what will be a good choice for us?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hope dat helped.

leelee:
look into the RHR. www.reefhouseresort.com
it has everything you are looking for.

Is RHR far from west end? For one or two nights will going to the west end just to wander a big problem transporation wise and time wise?

How's RHR's shore diving? I read somewhere that the waves can be strong that's tough
to go thru even though the walls are pretty close. Is that true?

May

m5tsai:
Is RHR far from west end? For one or two nights will going to the west end just to wander a big problem transporation wise and time wise?

As far away as any resort currently is. About an hour+ each way, minimum.

How's RHR's shore diving? I read somewhere that the waves can be strong that's tough
to go thru even though the walls are pretty close. Is that true?

Yes. You may have read my post in a previous thread.

May

It has little or none of your criteria, and as far as scouting out a place to take the children... it is once again, hands down, AKR. I am not sure if RHR can accept 10 guests (2 at a time in rooms)... but you would ":)wn" the resort. Kids and non-divers would be suicidal in 23.7 hours.

Once again, in regards to the fabled "West End". It just aint such a big deal. Arguably the single best restaurant on the island is but 20 minutes West of Oak Ridge (RHR) called "The View"

There are two other superior choices on the island, they are "Garden of Eatin" (Chineese-Cuban) and The Argentine Grille, both on the West End.

Many US Divers go and wind up eating at Romeos or Geos. Olive Garden South I & II.

The West End is the "WallMart" of Roatan. Go there and buy Guatemalan imported crafts at what they know are inflated prices but what may seem inexpensive to us.

You can also shop in Coxen hole with some success. Funny thing, though- not much shopping on Roatan, really. Cigars are way overpriced!

Best bets? Hot Sauce, Flor de Cana Rum (all 7 varieties), Coffee, Cianmom sicks, Vanilla Extract. Bigger budgets: exotic or plain wooden furniture... they are true masters!

At CCV they bring in what amounts to a "jurried" vendor's show, every day, some artisan appears to sell their craftwork. They do entertain some exclusive and worthy presentors- and you never miss a dive. See beautiful black coral jewelry, hand made art glass, embroidery to envy, batik wraps, magnificient shell collections, artwork by some local school children... and yes- they do have one day for a Guatemalan family to bring in some of the better imported stuff.

Unless you like to drink in "social" settings, the much vaunted West End is just the tip of the island that gets to see the last speck of sunset. Not much more.

We love West End and always find it to be a great place, its such s refreshing break from the bigger resorts. Bungalow 7 in West End is quiet and has a pool, unfortunately no shore diving in West End. But the dive sites are in the Marine Park and all of the dives we have done have been beautiful, without the waves of the south side. There are many restaurants in West End, Indian curry, Asian/caribbean, Italian, Island food, Seafood, Argentinian, French, Pizza, Bakery. There are also many shops selling a variety of wares, yes of course there are the guatamalan stores but there are also, Indonesian furniture and nick nacks, the art gallery, penelope's emporium, there is the moonlight gallery all of these places offering something for the discerning shopper there are two or three duty free shops. West End is changing with each visit we make, but it certainly moving towards a more upmarket crowd of divers/holiday makers.

We liked Cocoview. Definitely do the shark dive and canopy tour. FWIW, others went on the west side tour and were disappointed. They wished they had done the canopy tour with us. We swung through after the canopy tour for a quick shopping stop. That was enough for us.

shadowdiver:
West End is changing with each visit we make, but it certainly moving towards a more upmarket crowd of divers/holiday makers.

West End is becoming clogged with cruise ship pod people - hordes of lemmings with heatstroke - who aimlessly wander the streets, rudely push and shove their way around, talk down to the locals, cluelessly kayak (oblivious of snorkelers in the water), STAND on the reefs, turn dive boats into cattle boats, and have other wise turned a quaint Caribbean tourist/dive spot into an overpriced waste of time for people who just want a relaxing, low cost place to dive and veg out. Each time I go, it gets worse and worse. Christmas 2004 was proverbial the straw that broke the camel's back - the cruisers were horrendous. West End - never again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom