Where to stay in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiversMom:
starting March 4 2006, Delta will start direct flights to Roatan from Atlanta. They'll also be flying into SPS from Atlanta.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The boards of Delta Air Lines Inc. (NYSE:DAL - news) and Northwest Airlines Corp. (Nasdaq:NWAC - news) are slated to meet on Wednesday as the third- and fourth-largest U.S. air carriers teeter on the edge of bankruptcy.

That is... if there is a Delta in March

Continental has announced a daily flight direct into Roatan from Houston, apparently starting march 2006. I guess for the business people on Roatan this is great news, for the people who like to be the only ones around...better start looking for somewhere else, or stay in the mountains!

Hi
I have read your postings and you definitely have the best advice on Roatan!
I have never been but want to go this or next month
I am a single guy, an advanced diver and want to stay at the nicest resort, since it seems that the fancier resorts have the most reliable internet connections and I must be in touch with the US via email.
It would be fantastic to do as much diving as I can with a dive operator who caters to advanced divers.
I know this is a lot to ask, Any suggestions?
Bob Peterson

Amplified antenna - you can surf the web from anywhere on the property.....
Everybody on the island uses the same up link - so if it goes down every body goes down-----------

Think you will find that they will go out of their way to see you get the best shot at doing the kind of diving you want.........

Any specific questions....... just ask

howarde:
That is... if there is a Delta in March
of news from the first world down here. We have to suffer through Fox news if we want news in English. UGH.

m5tsai:
My husband and I are thinking of going to Roatan in mid-Oct for a week. Never been there, but have heard good things about it. We've been to Cozumel, Aruba, St. Kitts, Caymans, Turks, etc., mostly all-inclusive resorts that do a lot of diving.

This time, we're looking for diving for most of the time, but one or two nights maybe venture out to see some local activities, not bar hopping, just leasure shopping maybe. Definitely shore diving is wanted, and prefer small dive ops. 6~8 per boat will be nice, with dive op setting up the tanks and stuff if possible. (One of our friend had a major shoulder surgery in the beginning of the year after a Hawaii trip incident, if the dive op can accommdate, he and others may come as well). We like food, so good food is always appreciated, with local fare mixed in instead of just all american fare. Likes to have a fresh water pool if possible, and beach to just doze off by the sea.

Is it too much to ask? I've read about a bit about Roatan and Utila, and knowing Utila probably is better for diving, but for the first time, just want to check out the place first before our usual group of 10+ comes next time, which includes kids and non-divers.

The places I've noticed: Reef House Resort, Las Rocas,Island Pearl, Luna Beach Resort, AKR, CCV. Of the criteria above, what will be a good choice for us?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You Might want to check out the Bay Island Beach Resort. We stayed there in May and loved it. It's not a place to take kids since they don't have any programs like AKR, but the food is excellent. They roast a pig, have fresh fish & lobster tail. I don't think they served anything I didn't like, and it's all inclusive, but they don't have buffets. Your order off of a menu. They do run small boats. I think the most they usually take is around 8 divers and they will gladly help you out with setting up your gear. It is definitely a place for divers and the service is great. Also the spooky channel is right directly in front of the resort. You can dive there several times and it is like a different place each time. Also you can snorkel the spooky channel and there are octopus, baracuda, lobster, squid everything right there ! They even do a night snorkel of the channel which is awesome. I couldn't believe there was so much to see right off the hotel. When we go back, I will definitely stay here again.

Dive Bunny:
You Might want to check out the Bay Island Beach Resort. We stayed there in May and loved it. It's not a place to take kids since they don't have any programs like AKR, but the food is excellent. They roast a pig, have fresh fish & lobster tail. I don't think they served anything I didn't like, and it's all inclusive, but they don't have buffets. Your order off of a menu. They do run small boats. I think the most they usually take is around 8 divers and they will gladly help you out with setting up your gear. It is definitely a place for divers and the service is great. Also the spooky channel is right directly in front of the resort. You can dive there several times and it is like a different place each time. Also you can snorkel the spooky channel and there are octopus, baracuda, lobster, squid everything right there ! They even do a night snorkel of the channel which is awesome. I couldn't believe there was so much to see right off the hotel. When we go back, I will definitely stay here again.

BIBR used to run childrens programs, and I'm sure they would be happy to arrange something if you e-mail them in advance!

Hi there, We just got back on 9/18/05 on a group trip to Roatan. We stayed at Fantasty Island. We have 34 people, 4 non-divers 30 divers. The resort itself was nice. There were NO safes as we thought. Someone took the master key which fantasy island decided to replace all the safes so nobody had access to any safe. They say they are replacing them. We had nothing stolen from our rooms. The food was excellent, wide variety on every meal. BEWARE, many of us got sick. Most of the group had stomach issues running for the bathroom. I would say it was an isolated case however, a large number out of the 34 got sick. I think it was the water they use with the food or the food itself, but its hard to pinpoint. Some drank only bottled water, never got sick, others did. Hard to say for sure. Besides that, the resort was clean, friendly and very accomodating. The dives and dive operation was great and extremely helpful, especially dive master Mark, he did a fantastic job with our group.
Anyone else get sick there?
Overall, great diving.

There is very much a cruise ship season though. October to the end of March is when you will see easily identified 'Cruise Shipper'. On the plus side the majority of the small operators don't do business with people off the cruise ships. So while you are out diving with a small operator during the day the cruise shippers are wlecome to the town. In the evening when the sun is down and the town is a pleasant place to be all the cruise shippers are back on their boat!

I've read good reviews on trip advisor, but I read a post awhile back on this site that said not to consider it. They didn't say why... It seems like it's a great place to me on the East end. We prefer to stay in resorts that are out of the way and not as commercialized or populated. Thanks for the input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom