Where to stay in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paya Bay is a beautiful resort- nice rooms, good food, wonderful hosts. They offer diving, but the waves in that area of the island can be rough and it is not always possible to go out with them (we have been trying to arrange a dive there everytime we go- never seems to work out!) The biggest problem for most people with Paya Bay is that it is very isolated from the rest of the island. It is on the East side off the main road (not paved here, but it is now kept in decent shape vs a few years back when the drive was a 4 wheel adventure!). There is no taxi service and little to do that is not at Paya Bay (or Camp Bay if you want to go to the prettiest beach on the island). However, if you truly want to be off the beaten path and at a beautiful, quiet resort, and don't need or want to go into town or need to do all the other island activities, try Paya Bay. They have a nice website to check out also.

I stayed at the Inn of Last Resort. The staff was very friendly and the dive operators were really together. I enjoyed my stay. They had pet monkey's, (they were a blast) and the hotel was sucluded. If you have any questions let me know.

Good advice. What times of the year have you tried to dive with them? Their dive manager said February or March was the best since the seas were usually very calm that time of year. But, we've had to postpone our plans, so if we go there this year it won't be till July. I like the fact that it's isolated though. We typically stay at places out of the way and don't like the tourist stuff.

I typically end up on Roatan during the worst weather months Oct, Nov, Jan, Feb and early March. The one constant rule about the weather on Roatan is that there is no rules! You will enjoy Paya Bay if you stay there- the Mc Nab family is wonderful.

We dove at CoCoView a few years ago and it was not an entirely pleasant experience. As mentioned, the bugs are horrendous. Good insect repellent is a MUST and even so, many of the guests were covered in red bites the whole time. They evidently fed us some bad food as over half of the guests (including my dive buddy) got sick and were that way for days. It rained the whole time we were there and consequently visibility was not very good. We couldn't get out because the airport does not operate in foul weather and CoCoView wanted to charge us an extra daily rate until we could leave. We were captives. They finally relented but we had already moved into town. It wasn't all bad and I would go to Roatan again, but my dive partner says he will never set foot in CoCoView again and probably will not go back to Roatan. It is also a little unnerving to see guards armed with assault rifles a lot of the places you go. Whats up with that? Our favorite is Cozumel by far, but my buddy just returned from there Jan 17,2006 and he says it needs another year to recover from Hurricane Wilma. I notice you have been a lot of other places diving. Do you have any recommendations? We particularly like the drift diving format and prefer a lot to see. We are not necessarily into deep dives as there is less life and things to look at the deeper you go.

My other half and I had no problems with the food at CoCoView. Some people had problems after the trip to Gio's.

As for the bugs, they really bothered me the first night I was there, but once I started taking showers there, only when I didn't rinse off the seawater after an afternoon/evening/night dive. The folks who had the worse problems with bugs seemed to be the ones who used lotions, creams, colognes, etc. Since I spent so much time in the water, I didn't use deoderant: just soap, shampoo, and toothpaste...nothing with a strong fragrance. Not quite hunting/camping lack of hygiene, but apparently close enough so the bugs went after better smelling victims.

You need to be in reasonable shape for since it's not drift diving like Cozumel: on the boat dives we generally went down the mooring line, swam over to a wall, swam along the wall a while, went back to the top of the reef, and circled back to the boat and explored around the boat until we ran out of air. I particularly liked that fact that most dives started/ended in 20 ft, because you could continue to explore the reef while doing your safety stop (made for nice long safety stops, too).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom