Where to stay in Manado or vicinity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just bring two bags and one check in as sports equipment. Pay an extra RM40 of sports equipment fee means that you get to have 2 check-in bags with a total weight allowance of 30KG (15kg each). That is a lot cheaper than paying excess baggage fee.

There are direct flights from Singapore on Silk Air and from Kuala Lumpur on Air Asia, not sure about Phuket, but I haven't heard about any direct flights from there.

Tasik Ria in Bunaken is a good dive resort. Also consider Bunaken Cha Cha Resort. In Lembeh Sraits there's 2 good options, Lembeh Resort and NAD Resort and Dive Centre.

These all cater to divers, so you should be well taken care before and/or after your liveaboard diving trip.

Does anyone here know in case of any emergencies, what/where is the nearest hospital from the Tasik Ria resort?
and what about the police coast guard?

And any idea if a trip for 6D5N for a Padi Advanced open water cert ( 1 diver ) and a few leisure dives plus 1 non diver at USD 1352. Is that a reasonable price for the Tasik Ria resort?

My bf and I were quoted that amount for a trip in March ( which is the off peak season I assume).

I've stayed at Tasik Ria.

There's both a hospital and police in Manado. Just ask the staff at the resort for help if you need it. .

The cost is very reasonable.

I'm curious - why would you need to call the Coast Guard? I've never heard of a diver wanting to know the contact details of the coast guard before.

Hi Tassie,

Thanks for your reply hehe ohhh we're just checking in case of emergencies my bf suggested we should have the contacts of both the hospital and coast guard just in case =D

Anyway I'll be going to Manado as a non-diver, is there anything else I can do there besides snorkelling?

Oh is it also possible for the non divers to go on the boat with the divers to their diving locations?

Yep - non divers can go on the boat, unless the boat is full of divers (unlikely: they are quite large boats). You may pay a fee for the trip: check with the resort.

Not much to do if you are a non-diver. Theres a small beach at the resort but its not that great. Bring a good book or three.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Oh Ok thanks alot for your help. I'll probably bring a few books to read and will just go sit back and relax there. I need a break from the hustle and bustle of city live. I dont think I"ll try diving as I'm not really confident in the water and I tend to panic quite quickly in an environment im not familiar with =D.

Oh my partner who's diving wants to try taking underwater photographs...do you remember if the resort has any equipment to loan?

Have a chat with the dive centre staff about your concerns - they may suggest an easy one on one session at the shallow house reef or offer other ways to help build your confidence. Maybe also post a thread in the new diver forum outlining your concerns and asking about how to build confidence.

I seem to remember that they did hire cameras - but my memory is a very unrealiable thing so please send them an email to find out. There's also plenty of very cheap underwater cameras for sale in singapore.

Cheers,
Rohan.

On 2006 we visited Manado and stayed at Tasik Ria. At that time only my self was diving - my wife had not confident in water - my 2 daughters (6 and 9 years) are good swimmers but I did not let them snorkeling themself. So, I asked them to provide us a snorkeling guide + floating tube so they could rest holding the tube if they wish. They really enjoyed snorkeling and seem they saw more than me.
Now - all them are divers now. And we'll be visiting Bunaken / Lembeh next weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom