Where to stay in Key Largo and Key West?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam308

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Starting to think already about vacation in June 2005 and wanted some ideas or suggestions on where to stay in Florida. I love to dive and was planning on diving at the minimum several days. My wife and three teenage sons do not dive so I need to please them also. We will also visit some family for several days in Florida.

There are quite alot of resorts in both Key West and Key Largo.

Any suggestions?

Which is the better dive location?

Thanks,
Sam

Key Largo is the better of the two; there is also diving in Marathon, but if you want the best of both worlds, do Key Largo for your diving and Key West for your top side activities. There are several good diving operations in Key Largo, my favorite being Island Ventures www.islandventure.com. Whatever you do, avoid Capt. Slate's (although Amy Slate's operation is quite good).

As far as places to stay, it depends on how much you want to spend, or how fancy you'd want to get. The Key Largo Marriott is one of the nicest (and priciest) resorts in K.L., while if you don't have to be fancy or pricey, the Neptune's Hideaway is quite nice. Just ask for their largest accomodations. Amy Slate's Amoray Resort is quite good also. On the Island Ventures website you should find some more info on where to stay.

Good luck!

Hoping Frances (hurricane) doesn't visit us - we're going to the Florida keys tomorrow. We'll be staying at Pier House on Key West followed by Azul del Mar on Key Largo. I'll have to drop you a line when we return on these choices, but Azul del Mar looks to be the type of place that we prefer - smaller, more intimate.

Sam308:
Starting to think already about vacation in June 2005 and wanted some ideas or suggestions on where to stay in Florida. I love to dive and was planning on diving at the minimum several days. My wife and three teenage sons do not dive so I need to please them also. We will also visit some family for several days in Florida.

There are quite alot of resorts in both Key West and Key Largo.

Any suggestions?

Which is the better dive location?

Thanks,
Sam

Hi Sam, try The Westin, now know i think as Sheardon, i can find the exact name if you want. It's in Key Largo, it has water fall pools,. Marble tubs in the the bathroom,s , a small beach, and most of all is a RESORT style setting, if thats what your looking for, we stayed just about everywhere in largo,and love it. Theres also Ocean Point Suits, antother great RESORT style living, and they have actuall bedrooms, kitchen, living room, etc, both are simlair in price, check them out, and good luck on your vaction !

If your going to be diving in Key West check out Bonsai Dive shop if you want to avoid head boats. Peter has a small operation and is usually out on the dive sites before most of the big operators. I dove with him 2 years ago and I highly recomend him, small boat with personalized service, 4-6 divers. I hope the weather co-operates with your trip. Dove the Cayman with Bonsai 294-2921.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom