Key West vs. Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Love

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good afternoon everyone, happy father's day to the dads out there. I was hoping to gain some insight on the differences between Key West and Key Largo. I am planning on traveling to one of them this summer but am struggling to decide. From what I understand, Key Largo is easier to get to but Key West has the better diving. However, this information I got from the internet so who knows lol. If you are into seeing big animals and wrecks, which location would you prefer?

Others with way more experience will chime in but I thought the diving was better in key largo

Key Largo. Although, accommodations are generally rustic & pricey.

Some thoughts from Fort Lauderdale resident

Key Largo
If you are into wrecks and big animals, Key Largo has the upper hand since it simply has more wrecks: Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb, Benwood, Eagle, etc. Most of these are in 100 ft and attract Goliath Grouper, Eagle Rays, and some sharks - occasional Reef, Bull, or Hammerhead. The reason I daytrip from Fort Lauderdale is to do the wrecks. But you need advanced certification, and if you are solo you are a bit screwed - pay for a guide. I use Rainbow Reef because they are the only operations that will provide a free guide (tips).

However, Key Lago's reefs are a bit trashed IMO (disease, humans, global warming). Some are quite ugly. And half of Miami is there on the weekends - so it can be quite crowded on popular sites (reefs and wrecks). Frankly, I'd rather spend an hour at the dentist than on the Christ Abyss Statue dive. Be prepared on some shallow reef sites to get kicked in the head by a snorkeler. The State does almost no regulation of diving in the Park - so it's a free for all. But there are still some nice sections of Molasses Reef.

I also do not like Key Largo as a place. US 1 is a giant freeway - almost like being in the exurbs of America (complete with Superstores, fast food, and an Adult Bookstore or two). No beaches. Traffic. A little honky-tonk in parts. Some great fish restaurants, docks, man-made patches of sand, etc. but it really lacks an island vibe. Don't come expecting the Caribbean. The Beach Boys 'Kokomo' song - it's not. But there are watersports galore.

Overall: I like the wrecks, and sea life, but dislike crowds, and layout. I'm in and out and no overnights.

Key West:
Well, there are only 2 major wrecks: Vandenberg and Salvage Master. Newer and I see fewer big fish. The reefs are a lot healthier -especially those in the Sambo preserve. Also, less crowded. Frankly, my favorite reefs in the Keys are off of Big Pine Key - Looe Key/Reef. Why? It's more pristine, less crowded. But I have not been back since Hurricane Irma. Overall, Key West is more of a long weekend dive experience vs. a full week.

Key West as a destination is an American classic. It's San Francisco meets the Caribbean. Lots of things to see and do. Great town with classic bars (The Rum Bar, Green Parrot, Sloppy Joes), restaurants (Blue Heaven), Mallory Square Sunsets, etc. The Lower Keys (Marathon and Onwards) have a real getaway from it all vibe that you don't experience in the Upper Keys. It's not cheap. I will go down for a long weekend every other year or so - it's fun. There are some minor beaches (Fort Henry), but Key West is more about the town, biking, getting out on the water, fishing, diving, sunsets, etc...

Overall
Frankly, if you are thinking of spending one week with a focus on wrecks, I would do both: 3 days in Key Largo, and 2 days in Key West. Something like that. There are even Florida Keys Wreck Treck itineraries.
You need a car if you only doing Key Largo and flying to Key West is kinda pricey. Look at in/out Ft Lauderdale or Miami (FtL might have better car/airfares). And traffic on/off the Keys Fri PM/Sat AM and Sunday returns is quite real.

thank you very much everyone, definitely giving me something to think about. CJCar, I am planning to fly into Miami and get a rental car to drive to Key Largo. I appreciate the advice on visiting both of them in a week, also something to think about

Good afternoon everyone, happy father's day to the dads out there. I was hoping to gain some insight on the differences between Key West and Key Largo. I am planning on traveling to one of them this summer but am struggling to decide. From what I understand, Key Largo is easier to get to but Key West has the better diving. However, this information I got from the internet so who knows lol. If you are into seeing big animals and wrecks, which location would you prefer?
Some thoughts from another south Florida resident

If this vacation is about diving primarily you might consider Broward and Palm Beach counties. They both offer many excellent dive sites on both reefs and wrecks. They are less expensive than the keys although they do not necessarily have the same vibe. A person could stay in south Palm Beach county and be no more than a 45 minute drive either south to Pompano or north to Jupiter. There's more diving in that area than you can do in a week :D. You can check out the threads on these areas and find tons of info on them.
Just my 2psi either way enjoy the trip and make sure you post reports on you diving.

i spent january and february this year in tavernier ( think south side key largo) i dove with conch republic divers out of tavernier. Ashley is the new owner and they are great people to dive with. they visit all the wrecks, offer lobstering in season, lionfish spearfishing, and i did some volunteer dives planting corals with I.C.A.R.E out of islamorada. they also offer certification, and tech classes. they generally dive the south end away from pennecamp so the reefs are in way better shape. one of my favorite dives is a drift dive on conch wall. 50 ft at the top, 90 to 100 on the bottom. they have wrecks they dive that others do not too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom