Where to stay in Kauai when traveling with non-divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtmurff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'll be in Kauai in Feb 2013 for a wedding. To cut down on cost, my wife and I are staying with 2 non divers. We're looking for a place to stay in southern Kauai. Any suggestions on a cheap-ish (I know it's Hawaii) place that would still have some appeal for non divers (while my wife and I go diving)? We like the idea of avoiding the big hotels and staying somewhere small like a condo.

Thanks for your suggestions

I loved my stay at the Kiahuna Plantation condos. Very nice grounds. Strolling distance to a nice beach on one side, shopping and restaurants on the other.

Easy travel to Koloa Landing for shore dives or the harbor for boat dives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My wife and I just got back from Kauai. We stayed at my wife's cousin's rental cottage in Kapa'a on the east side of the island. My wife and I thought the experience was great and we insisted on paying them even though she and her husband are family. The cottage is fine for 2 and cozy for 4 (the second couple would sleep in a foldout bed). They have all the expected amenities (fully stocked kitchen and laundry, TV, outdoor grill) and some things you wouldn't expect (like the private outdoor shower and outdoor tub...and yes that's in addition to the indoor bathroom!). Their property (my cousin and her husband live in the adjacent house) sits on an acre lot and includes a few gardens, a sport shack stocked with kayaks, beach gear, snorkels, bikes, boogie boards, etc. They have an old golden retriever and two cats that love guests but the unusual animal is the pig, which is kept in his own pen at the opposite end of the property. You'd never really notice the pig if it weren't for the crowing of the feral chickens that populate Kauai (you'll hear them from many parts of the island at sunrise and they will greet you in the airport parking lot).

Finally, there is a short pass behind the neighbor's property to a private garden area where a nearby river flows, complete with waterfall. We commented to them that it must really suck to live in paradise like this. :)

Anyway, it's not in the south but honestly, nothing is that far away from anything on the island and the drive to the dive shops on the south side was only about 30 minutes including traffic. My wife's cousin's husband is a contractor so they built virtually all of the what you stay in and everything is high quality...I was really impressed.

You may check it out at Kapahi Vacation Rental - VRBO 173304 - 1 BR Coconut Coast Cottage in HI, Private 1 Acre W/Charming Homestay by Waterfall Sleeps (2-4). It costs about $973 for a week not including the hotel/motel tax and they have daily rates. It make the vacation very economical (enough that we did two days of diving instead of one).

In general, I think south is nicer. More open area, more beaches. Especially in winter, south shore should have calmer water. North side is nice too, but I heard water can be choppy in winter. Both north and south are better than east IMO.

I stayed at Kiahuna plantation before. They are condo like accomodation. You got living room, bedroom, kitchen, but you don't get room service. Room cleanning is like twice a week only. I like this it a lot, I will not hesitate to recommend to anyone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom