Where to stash your keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing new to add, but my BMW key is a key within the fob. I can leave the electronic fob in the car and dive with the metal key part which will only unlock the door. I know from practical experience that it's impossible to get my car started without either the fob or having it towed, so no way would i ever trust an underwater case.

(I once had to do a 500mile round trip to get my spare key as even BMW was going to cut a hole in my trunk lid to get my key out of there).

Not surprising that my key goes in my drysuit pocket. If the drysuit floods they get wet! We have also stuck keys on top of a tire, in the bumper, under rocks, and in trees. Its actually quite easy to hide keys, just make sure people are not watching. Waterproof cases are great until they flood! Never assume anything you take underwater will not get wet.

If I ever own a car where I need $100+ to make a key just shoot me! Ironically none of the impossibly fancy and expensive cars are theft proof. Thieves use tow trucks these days. The new electric cars are horrible, I have read $400 for new keys.

Gawd it's a key not a missile guidance system! :D

Without even opening this thread my first thought was to use the hitch safe. Funny you link it in your original post. I have one of these and it's seriously the best invention ever. Never have to worry. A thousand thumbs up for that product!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added April 15th, 2012 at 08:00 PM ----------

I have read $400 for new keys.

That's nothing. Some go for $700+

If it's a metal key from bygone years that has no chip in it, you of course just attach it to yourself somewhere and go diving. If it's one of those ^&%*$# $111.00 chip keys, I personally would not immerse it in water no matter what you put it in. I put it in a sandwich bag (or 2) and stick it under a rock, bury it in the dirt or sand, or stick it deep inside some thick bushes, etc. Just make sure no one sees you doing this. No problems so far. You could also just take a metal key copy with you on the dive that just opens the door, but with no chip, won't start the car. Then using it to unlock the car you most likely would have the &*^(%$* alarm go off, so you'd jump in the driver's seat and fix that. Maybe the newest cars have some sort of solution to that situation. Metal box magnetic key holder stuck under the car falls off eventually--at least a couple of mine did.

If it's a metal key from bygone years that has no chip in it, you of course just attach it to yourself somewhere and go diving. If it's one of those ^&%*$# $111.00 chip keys, I personally would not immerse it in water no matter what you put it in. I put it in a sandwich bag (or 2) and stick it under a rock, bury it in the dirt or sand, or stick it deep inside some thick bushes, etc. Just make sure no one sees you doing this. No problems so far. You could also just take a metal key copy with you on the dive that just opens the door, but with no chip, won't start the car. Then using it to unlock the car you most likely would have the &*^(%$* alarm go off, so you'd jump in the driver's seat and fix that. Maybe the newest cars have some sort of solution to that situation. Metal box magnetic key holder stuck under the car falls off eventually--at least a couple of mine did.

My truck (GMC) only alarms on manual unlock if it was locked with the remote. If I am leaving the remote in the truck and locking manually, it's all good.

My vehicle has a chipped key, but I am told you can get a valet key cut - only good for unlocking the doors. Leave your remote & chipped key in the vehicle, and you can carry the valet key anywhere convenient, including on a high tech piece of string around your neck :). My wetsuit has a key pocket, so I am going to get a valet key cut and carry it there.

It's funny you mention this, my old car ('01 Pathfinder) had the transponder key. I went into a highly rated locksmith (only because it was close by) to get a spare key cut. They refused to cut it for me arguing that it wouldn't start the car since it was a transponder key. Yes, but I only want to be able to open the door. I walked out not being able to get a key cut since it wouldn't start the car. I went to Canadian Tire, and got one done, no comment about the transponder.

My new car, an '06 Land Rover on the other hand, needs the electronic key fob to open the door. No keyhole for a key.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?u5mazb

My wife and I both have a case similar to one of these:

Witz "See-It Safe" Dry Case, Clear Small?&&

Inside, we keep photocopies of identification and insurance cards. In the event of some form of emergency that might require rushing one or the other of us to medical services, we have with us this kind of vital information, without risking the originals. Allergies and important medical conditions can be kept inside as well. We wear them around our neck, tucked under the lycra skin. A single key could also fit inside such a case, provided it's not too thick at the base.

It's funny you mention this, my old car ('01 Pathfinder) had the transponder key. I went into a highly rated locksmith (only because it was close by) to get a spare key cut. They refused to cut it for me arguing that it wouldn't start the car since it was a transponder key. Yes, but I only want to be able to open the door. I walked out not being able to get a key cut since it wouldn't start the car. I went to Canadian Tire, and got one done, no comment about the transponder.

My new car, an '06 Land Rover on the other hand, needs the electronic key fob to open the door. No keyhole for a key.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?u5mazb

I have to say, I don't get that from a design perspective, especially on an expensive vehicle. What happens if there is a failure on the part of the transmitter, receiver, or attached electrical locking mechanism? I would be pretty pissed if I couldn't get into or use my vehicle for such a reason, something as simple as a dead remote battery for example. The more I paid, the more pissed I would be. I personally don't see that as a feature. :thumbdown:

Although I think it is overpriced, I do like that aspect of OnStar though.

I have to say, I don't get that from a design perspective, especially on an expensive vehicle. What happens if there is a failure on the part of the transmitter, receiver, or attached electrical locking mechanism? I would be pretty pissed if I couldn't get into or use my vehicle for such a reason, something as simple as a dead remote battery for example. The more I paid, the more pissed I would be. I personally don't see that as a feature. :thumbdown:

Although I think it is overpriced, I do like that aspect of OnStar though.

I really don't like the idea myself, however, with mine you can pry a trim piece off to get at an emergency keyhole. I did say there wasn't a keyhole, more like there isn't an easily accessible one. One thing that is nice is the key fob transmitter battery gets induction charged while in the ignition, so at least that's something not to worry about. I've had enough experience with electronics failing that I can't trust them. Hence the analog SPG rather than AI computer that I use.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?kfmphl

+1 for the Witz Case. I've used the same one since at least 2002, it's been past 100' repeatedly and remained completely dry. Also you can tighten the lanyard around your neck so it can't come off.

There's also a slightly thicker version if your key won't fit in the small one: http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/WTZKIS.html?&&

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom