Where to service gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once again you post misinformation. Go to Scubatoy's web site and search on Aqualung and you would realize that they don't carry or service this product. Scubatoy's is a very reputable shop but they don't need you making incorrect recommendations for them.

PLEASE get your information straight before you post, you continue to post misinformation on the board and I am personally tired of hearing complaints about the quality of information on the board with your postings cited as a example.

+1

To the OP, Tom's Dive & Swim is a great place to get your gear serviced. You should talk to Kirk, or Warren, they will help you out a lot. Also Rakpik has been kicked out of Tom's Dive & Swim, and shows animosity toward them.

Tom's was voted the best dive shop in Austin. I would take my business there if Oakhill Scuba, my lds, wasn't around.

Rakpix has made quite a reputation for himself given the short time he has been diving. Too bad it leaves a lot to be desired.

Thank you for the input. I've had good experiences with purchases from Scuba Toys and had previously checked into sending my equipment there, but had forgotten why I had chosen to look elsewhere. (The result of working long hours and comptenplating a decision over several weeks' time.)

Tom's sounds like a good place to send the gear, but haven't received an answer to my email I sent them. I'll call today and ask for Kirk or Warren as mentioned above.

Thanks, again.

No, I'm not that far west. Store distance doesn't matter for my situation as I plan on shipping the equipment regardless. My main concern is finding a shop which offers a high quality and customer satisfaction, followed by turn-around time then price.

I'm hoping to get opinions from those not associated directly with any store, other than being a customer, just to keep things honest.

Thanks.

ScubaToys all the way. I lived in Houston and now in Austin and haven't anyone that offers quality for the price.

Ty

Warren is one of the really good guys in the Austin scuba scene.

Do not follow this advice, scubatoys does not sell Aqualung, nor can they service them. They can not get the rebuild kits needed for your first and second stages. Even they can service it, you will void your warranty.

Once again you post misinformation. Go to Scubatoy's web site and search on Aqualung and you would realize that they don't carry or service this product. Scubatoy's is a very reputable shop and they don't need you making incorrect recommendations for them.

i've had apeks serviced at scubatoys, with no problem. and there's nothing here http://www.scubatoys.com/store/regs/regrepair.asp or here http://www.scubatoys.com/store/regs/regrepairform2.pdf to suggest they can't service aqualung too. i spoke to "kyle" at the store and he confirmed they have at least two authorized aqualung repair technicians on staff.

Last edited:
i've had apeks serviced at scubatoys, with no problem. and there's nothing here Scuba Regulator Repair - Scuba Annual Service or here http://www.scubatoys.com/store/regs/regrepairform2.pdf to suggest they can't service aqualung too. i spoke to "kyle" at the store and he confirmed they have at least two authorized aqualung repair technicians on staff.

Evan,

Please carefully consider what I feel is absolutely necessary to convey to you.

A service representative of Aqualung told me Scubatoys is NOT an authorized dealer and they are NOT authorized service center for Aqualung! If Scubatoys services any Aqualung equipment, you will lose your warranty and parts for life! Of course they have technicians that are certified by Aqualung. People change jobs, and some go to different dive shops to work as technicians. That said, this does not allow Scubatoys to perform warranty or service work on brands of regulators that they are not an authorized dealer or authorized service center of and do not sell; there is a huge risk factor in servicing equipment they do not sell. Parts to service a regulator can only be purchased by an authorized dealer from Aqualung. How does an unauthorized dealer or service center get the parts for equipment they do not sell? It's called the grey market (such as eBay) or using parts that may fit, but do not meet OEM specifications. For example, a wrong o-ring in the first stage could cause serious problems at depth, which could result in Decompression Illness or an Air Embolism from an uncontrolled assent in a diver, or can be FATAL. Aqualung will void all warranty if someone does not have their equipment serviced by an authorized dealer, so no more free parts for service. These parts could cost up to $50 per stage, and a typical recreational rig will have 3 stages. These are all cost implications, however, the health and safety of a diver is of the utmost importance.

You as a new diver in the community need not post faulty information. Professionals and experienced divers should be left to give advice and recommendations. The diving community is a relatively tight-knit family and your erroneous information is imposing negative opinions of you, causing people to avoid dealing with you, ask you to leave shops, etc. I know this topic has been brought to your attention before, however, you continue the same behavior. Diving needs to be approached with safety and responsibility first. I hope you can take this advice and approach the sport in a new, more responsible manner.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom