Where to put your SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I roll mine up, use a couple of bungee loops I made to keep it that way & clip it to a D ring on my right hip.

It works, it's secure. And it's less than ideal, I really need to do something better. Most of my dives do NOT require deployment & if I do deploy, I don't need to re-stow it in the water. That will be done on the boat.

You can see it in this pic:

stuhuntingbugs.jpg

First, I am no tech diver. I do take care to have a clean profile though.

Second just because some idiot swims around with a console hanging free or some other sloppy habit it does not mean you should be sloppy with your gear.

Third, an SPG is less likely to hook onto something compared to an SMB and reel. It is smaller and a simple shape. Even then, if you clip it off you should have some type of break away built in, even an old o-ring will do.

For most divers (including me), it is not a life or death issue, but an irritant you can avoid with a bit of forethought.

No reason that I know of to prohibit s little safety sausage from being clipped off somewhere.

Attachments

• colder2.bmp
    144.1 KB · Views: 320
The only drawback is stowing after deployment is a bitch.
383968665_U5cQC-L.jpg

I guess I can't speak for everyone, but after this dive, once I got to the point that I could have stowed it, I really didn't give a (Beep) where it went. This was after about a 3 1/2 drift. Three divers on the end of it, with 6-8 foot seas. We were so exhausted; it took what seemed like forever for the crews and other divers to pull us onto the deck. I don't think anyone of us moved more than a few inches for a while.

Now..........Sad part is, the Safety sausage I used, I had carried with me in my BC pocket for years and years. It was a small one, a type that rolls up to about an inch in diameter so it was not something I was accustomed to seeing or feeling every time I went diving. Sadly, my inexperience hurt us this day, and it was only after floating for about two hours that I remembered I had the damn thing with me. It goes without saying how displeased the boat crew and other divers were with us. I never want to be humiliated like that again.

So, where ever you put it. On your BC, in your BC, on your leg, strapped to your face mask..............Make sure you lay hands on it EVERY SINGLE DIVE!

Safe diving,

Ken

No reason that I know of to prohibit s little safety sausage from being clipped off somewhere.

No one say anything about prohibiting anything. A little sausage by itself is one thing, in the video clip that started this it was a big SMB and reel which are big enough and have enough angles to catch on things. Kelp, fishing line, nets, etc....

You have a choice of many places to stow your SMB. Why would you choose someplace that increases the potential to cause problems? Just seems like a poor choice to me compared to the other options.

I clip mine to a ring on the bottom of my BP and it stays tucked in with my wing and leg really well. Just me .02 cents

Back
Top Bottom