Where to put your SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Karel26

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I would just like to know where I can put my SMB so that
it out of the way, but in the way when I need it. . Where
is the best place to keep a SMB for the least drag. .

Live to dive and Dive to live. . . . :burout:

Well, I keep mine in my left thigh pocket. You can also clip the spool and bag to your butt d-ring, although your buddies may amuse themselves with it if it's there.

I keep mine (primed) in the right pocket of my drysuit. The rule I learned was that items likely to be used go in the right pocket and those items less likely to be used (like a spare mask and secondary spool) go in the left pocket. If you don't have drysuit or wetsuit pockets, maybe BC pockets? I don't think I'd clip a spool to a but ring. If it were to come undone, you may not know it until it was a real problem.

I don't have a B.C pocket. . I have the Mares Icon B.C
( its a travelers B.C very compact ). . So I don't have the
laxuaery of a B.C pocket to keep my S.M.B in. . I don't
dive with a dry suit aswell as we have tropical and sub tropical
reefs in South Africa. .

Live to dive and Dive to live. . . . :burnout:

I don't have pockets and rarely need to deploy my SMB except for a drill. I drilled a couple of holes in my BP and threaded some 1/8 bungy cord. The SMB and a finger spool are clipped to my BP nice and tight between the BP and wing in easy reach. It is always there, can't forget to pack it.

The only drawback is stowing after deployment is a bitch.

Tougher with a BCD, if you don't have a decent sized pocket.....

A BP/W does give you options......

I have seen some divers witha DSMB simply bungeed to the tank itself......

I have seen others get a pocket like this vertical velcro closure one.....

BC Accessory Pockets by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

Add a tank band and make DSMB holder they can slide up from the bottom of the tank.....just be sure you can reach it......

I have seen others attach it high up on the right shoulder straps......

Others find a way (like tie straps) to attach this type of pocket under their BCD.....

Lift Bags and Marking Tubes - Dive Gear Express

I dive a BP/W and slide a Dive Rite horizontal pocket on the waist belt, right side.....

Hope this helps......M

I have the DAN SMB, which conveniently has a little velcro-closure pocket built right in to the bottom of it to store little things like a safety whistle. That goes clipped onto the rear D-ring, on the crotch strap I added to my SeaQuest BC. Since I use long HP120 tanks, I can always tell the SMB is there because I can feel it between my a$$ and the tank boot. :D

The spool I keep in a small XS Scuba "Zephyr" utility pocket on my right belt strap, along with a couple of other line-related items (markers, etc.).

My only complaint regarding this setup is that the DAN SMB comes with a cheesy plastic clip - I wish I could replace it with a standard stainless bolt snap, because reaching around and undoing that plastic clip is awkward, especially with gloves; nevertheless it's workable. It would definitely be faster and easier with a standard stainless bolt snap, though.

I use one to two methods..first is the diverite mesh pouch attached to the back of the back plate...you pull it out from the side.

Second, I have several smb's with clips attached to them, which I put on my left side D ring. The spool goes next to it. When diving where it gets deployed a lot... I prefer the mesh pouch mounted behind you....

Get a pocket/s sewn onto your wetsuit...or have a look online for X-Shorts. Both will give you some storage capacity.

Otherwise, you'd have to come up with some sort of ad-hoc arrangement with bungees.

I am thinking of linking this thread to the current jacket vs BP&W threads.... as it is a great example of how dreadful current jacket BCD design is.

Can you imagine a jacket design as complicated and bulky as the Mares Icon (below), that doesn't even allow you capacity to store a core dive item like an SMB???!?!!!

417254_icon.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom