Where to purchase a secondary filter tower and priority valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBRES1

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have my storage bottles cleaned, now its time to start setting up the system.
I need to purchase a filter stack and priority valve. I will be using this on an Airetex -W31 compressor, and will be filling a 2,000 cu ft bank with it. I will be using about 10,000 cu ft of air per year.
I was thinking about the August Ind. 16" tower for $435.00 and the AIM 240 cartridge at $42.00.
Is this a good choice, or should I go with a LW stack.
Any help would be great,
Thanks, Jim Breslin

LW = Lawrence Welk?:D

I like August. Most vendors sell stuff which is pretty much alike. So, it boils down to price. They advertise a "4 to 1" safety factor so I'm guessing their canisters are made of the same stuff as Puzzle Factor or whatever their name is. Besides, in their product list the correct name, "back pressure valve" is used. Tells me they are experienced. BTW, check out that monster stainless tower for little money over at Compressed Air Specialties.
High pressure breathing air compressors, scuba air compressors, Scuba air
Pesky

L W or L F , 220 vac, 223vac what ever it takes. Ya knew what I was talking about.
And if memory serves me correct didn't L W have bubble machine ?

Thanks, Jim

JB,

I have a W31x2 which I purchased from Bruce to support my training center. I use it to fill a 1700 cubic ft cascade system. Then run it through an Airetex Hyper Filter. It is set up pretty much identicle to a Lawrence Factor appliance with a priority valve (in fact the components say Lawrence Factor right on them and the purifyer is an LF as well). Airetex is selling these things with purifier for around $1300. I am happy with the results and had LF do my gas analysis. I am producing OCA with no problems. I will be posting pictures of my system on my site soon. Putting the appliance after my cascade illiminates the need to oxygen clean everything prior (i'm producing grade e prior to the applaince).

So, with that said. You could fabricate your own apliance and you can find a 31" tower on ebay for like $625 but by the time you buy the priority valve (if you use one, and you should), fittings, and a purifyer; you are probably better off getting a ready made appliance and I haven't found anyone cheaper that Airetex.

Hope this helps,
Gary

When the "appliance" is off line make sure it is plugged. Otherwise, atmospheric air will ruin the desiccant. This is probably the real reason for "shelf life" recommendations (change cartridge after six months or whatever). The other has to do with wet conditions in the bottom of the hybrid filter/condenser.

There is a misconception that "hyper filters" are necessary for production of NITROX. Actually, they are not necessary at all. However, for purposes of filling "oxygen clean" cylinders it might behoove the commercial operation to install such a device. This is a confidence builder and to avoid complaints or even litigation. It makes for good customer relations.

Installing a back pressure valve at the compressor should be sufficient. However, if a hyper filter is installed after the cascade a flow limiter would be needed as pointed out by others on another thread. It depends on the specific recommendations of the manufacturer. Just be sure that these recommendations are not being driven by the need to sell stuff.

A hyper filter is redundant to my needs but if I were pumping large quantities of nitrox and charging money for it I might entertain the idea of buying the Compressed Air Specialties stainless 31 inch tower for $250.

A hyper filter is redundant to my needs but if I were pumping large quantities of nitrox and charging money for it I might entertain the idea of buying the Compressed Air Specialties stainless 31 inch tower for $250.

That stainless steel canister is not a tower. It is only the can that fits inside the tower to allow you to pack your own filters instead of buying disposable cartridges.

My particular unit has a check valve where the cascade connects to the appliance. The purpose of the appliance is also to quarantee results. The appliance produces hyper pure even from a failing compressor. When partial pressure blending this is really a must. You are correct however that OCA is sometimes produced without an applaince or even a hyper filter, but it's just not worth the chance.

Check out this article. http://www.eastcoastdiverllc.com/ZEROAIR.pdf

Gary

Sorry, my old computer could not read the article. Look, the point is that OCA is not necessary to produce 40% NITROX. Mainly, the hyperfilter thing is a beauty contest to see who has the fanciest system. The fact that EAN is being produced upstream of an oil lubricated compressor should tell you something. If the enriched gas can pass through a hot oil stream at high pressure without disaster then the crucial point of danger has already been passed. At that point the system designer has to be concerned with two additional hazards and to avoid them, ensure gas which is dry enough to not cause precip in a SCUBA tank, and pure enough not to cause biologic hazard. OCA doesn't enter into it unless one is filling a cylinder precharged with oxygen which in itself is becoming passe and not the common practice it once was.

You are correct however that OCA is sometimes produced without an applaince or even a hyper filter, but it's just not worth the chance.

Yes, PP filling is done without hyper filters. I have never heard of a problem with it. However, I would not endorse the practice on a public forum without seeing the actual system and review its maintenance, FWIW.

Are you planning PP filling, and if so, why? Pumping air, mostly? Setting up a shop? TIA

If you are not opposed to LF products. I will offer you a 3 lb tower, pmv, bleeder and inlet check valve for $680.00 or the same except with a 1 lb tower for $600.00. You provide the mounting hardware or add $25.00 too either price for unistrut clamps and channel. Towers come with initial cartridge. Freight is extra. These prices are slightly above LF's list for the tower alone.

BTW, you can substitute a "65" series cartridge for a "53" series to save money. I can also point you to a site that sells LF filters at discount prices. Just drop me a PM.

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom