Where to go over the winter holidays???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblesdame:
Take a look at Roatan and Utila. Continental fly from Houston to Roatan and then Atlantic from Roatan to Utila round trip from Houston to Utila around $600. My preference is Utila, great diving and great pricing. Look at www.deepblueutila.com

I'm planning a dive trip in Sep and was considering Roatan. Since I'm coming from the SF Bay Area, my focus is getting on and off the plane as quickly as possible. This is our first trip since our 10 month-old was born. :crafty:

Can I ask you to tell us why you liked Utila over Roatan? I'll do a little more research before I commit to airline tickets, but if you've got strong beliefs over one, I'd love to know about them.

-Rob

Hi

I would say Utila but i am biased i live here, it is a really great place great diving and a good relaxed way of life and of course WHALE SHARKS what more can i say, well i suppose i could mention Eagle Rays, Turtles, Dolphins, Great Macro stuff, Nudibranchs but i wont bore you with all that ...... no really it is a divers dream

Why I prefer Utila,that is easy - the diving. Roatan is a much larger island and the dive site choices are dependent on where you are staying on the island. Utila is only 7 miles by 3 miles and has over 70 bouyed dive sites around the island and only one boat is allowed to tie up at a time. It has the second largest barrier reef in the world on the north side with awesome walls and the south side has beautiful gentle sloping reefs, it also has 4 different sea mounds about a mile off shore so a wonderful mix of very different topography.

The island is very relaxed and laid back and is so far without the crime problems that Roatan has. Don't get me wrong I like Roatan, it is generally more upmarket with American style (and priced) restaurants and very pretty scenery as it is quite hilly but if you want great diving it is Utila every time for me. :dazzler1:

Interesting. I hadn't considered the crime issue.
We bought tickets to Roatan, so we're committed now.

Two years ago I was up north in Belize (ambergris). I had the best time diving, I admit. Actually, I had a great time eating, too! There was a little restaurant where we just fell in love with the people there. S****y jazz and great post-dive breakfasts. We'd sit there for an hour, taking in the sea air

I traded numerous emails with Anthony's Key Resort regarding what the weather conditions were. Since this is off season, I didn't want to get there with 8 foot swells. They were very helpful, and their great service was the deciding factor in where we chose to visit. Since my wife isn't the avid diver I am, we decided to go where other amenities were available. I dig the night diving, but she gets spooked. Hopefully I'll find someone else who wants to get their fins wet.

I'll report back here as to how the vacation went. We leave in a few weeks. Thanks for your responses!

-Rob

The island is very relaxed and laid back and is so far without the crime problems that Roatan has. Don't get me wrong I like Roatan, it is generally more upmarket with American style (and priced) restaurants and very pretty scenery as it is quite hilly but if you want great diving it is Utila every time for me. :dazzler1:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom