Where to Go Next

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I really love to scuba dive, but sometimes I feel like i am on a blind alley in diving. Folks that dive a lot either go pro, tech or center their diving around video or still photography. My situation makes being responsible for other divers unattractive to me, so pro is not really an option. I have dabbled in tech, but never really caught the bug. I have yet to take a picture underwater which really seems to annoy my fellow passengers on live aboard trips, all of whom rate their diving by the quality of their photography or video. My logbooks show almost 900 dives in many locations and some variety of conditions.

The frustration sets in when I get on a boat and the dive guide/dive master treats everyone like a beginner. Jump in the water, wait at the surface, everyone starts together, dive ends when the first wimp runs out of air, which means safety stop at 35 minutes. I climb out with 1550 psi. Its not this bad everywhere, but when it happens it burns me up. God help you if you try to do anything differently with some of these idiots. They probably want to sell me nitrox for the short 60 foot dive.

Some guides give no help at all with dragging gear around, but are total underwater cops. If there is a crowd at the ladder and you try to do an extended safety stop behind the boat (which is safely moored in zero current and good visibility) they will come down and give you a thumbs up sign for no other reason than they can't let well enough alone. Please don't tell me about safety because on the same dive the moron took a new diver to 100 feet and then shot off at full speed way ahead of the group while the new diver descends to 120 because he did not know any better.

Some guides who are instructors can't stop teaching. They insist on all sorts of details whether it matters or not. I had one in Indonesia that made a fuss when I took off my BC before my weight belt. Yes, the belt should come off first, but does it matter when there is only 4# on it?

One thing I have noticed is that those with DM or instructor cards often get a pass to do what they want. It annoys me as it should be obvious to anyone who sees me dive once that I learned something in those nearly 900 dives and I have a not so easy to get IANTD advanced nitrox certification as well. I guess its the secret handshake because there are lots of instructors in the US with day jobs who I would not trust to teach a rock to dive.

Thank god its not this way everywhere, but the bottom line is things usually go better on live aboard boats and dedicated dive resorts, and the problems are more likely when staying in some hotel and finding some dive shop whether it is on the hotel grounds or not.

Well, I don't know what to do next. Perhaps I will be assimilated and buy a camera or try tech diving again.

You should consider a trip to California for some diving. The DMs stay on the boat where they belong here...

Same goes for NC, no dive nannies here. A dive briefing and your own your own.
You have hit on one of the biggest reasons I like Bonaire. It's my dive to dive the way I want. Time, place,depth and duration are of my choosing...including solo which I am becoming very fond of. I will say that we had pretty much the same treatment at Cocoview...don't know if it was the group (well known there) or our particular DM but I had a camera in my hand the entire time, most of which was spent a long ways away from the group...just had to be back on the boat in an hour....more or less. Never a word about my diving.

leadweight

What's wrong with diving for the sake of diving? To be neutral in an interesting environment and to probably share that experience with another. If you don't like the dive boat drill and being lumped in with a bunch of wild card characters find some compatible buddies and go to the beach to dive your heart out.

You define your diving and there is no need to lug a camera. I like neat pictures as much as anyone but I have no interest in seeing my dives trough a viewfinder. I'm perfectly happy to go for an interesting tour or to lead and spot for a camera toting buddy.

You sound like you dive with a spirit of continuous improvement, just go have fun.

I have no interest in going pro and having demands on my discretionary time but I have found an interest in diving with new divers. Am I responsible for them, well maybe in a sense but I make sure everyone stays within their limits.

As far as I'm concerned a dive boat is a necessary evil and I'll avoid it at any opportunity. Give me my many local drive up shore dive sites or a paradise like Bonaire anytime.

Pete

I think you may have just gotten alot of incompatibale dive ops for you. Maybe inquire about protocol of the dive ops' boat dives prior to the dive.

Example: in Aruba, one op we went with lead us like sheep and made us rise with the first one low on air.

"Dive Aruba", on the other hand, lets us go where we wanted and dived our computer. Just ask ahead of time.

spectrum:
but I have found an interest in diving with new divers

Nothing better than to go out and dive with a beginning diver and see the great big grin on their faces after a dive. Diving with them calms their anxieties because they are going with someone with more experience and it allows them to relax and enjoy their dive more. You show them things they have never seen. When they come up with that big grin there is also a look of tranquility in their eyes. I can think of no more gratifying an experience as this.

And you don't have to be a DM or instructor to bring them this joy and increased love of diving...Only a willingness to give of your time...Talk about fulfilling....

As Crapgame said in Kelly's Heroes...Enough with the negative waves Moriorty....:)

Sounds like you have been with a few crappy operations. Another reason why questions to the dive op beforehand is important. We would welcome you out in Okinawa to dive however you want with or without a guide your choice. You don't have to be an instructor to get the secret handshake deal - just have to ask at some places and if they will not accommodate find another operator.

Spectrum,

You definitely understand my mindset.

Rawls,

About 18 months ago I spent 3 weeks on Utila. They must have some really good instructors at UDC because folks down there who just completed AOW were so amazing after only 2 weeks of diving that it was an uplifting experience. It sounds to me like you really like being an instructor.

Usually things go right. Its just that on this last trip to Curacao and Aruba we used 4 different dive operators and only one was any good. It definitely shook me up. Two of the bad ones had been recommended from this forum, one was just an emergency pick when another suddenly decided to take the next day off.

The more you dive, the more stuff you get to see...

Back
Top Bottom