Where to go in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmdasia

Reaction score
I have a group trip to arrange at the end of January and was wondering where other posters would recommend to fit the following profile:

1) Not a liveboard
2) NOT in Thailand
3) Very good Macro life (Frog fish & pipefish esp.)
4) large pelagic possibilities (esp scallop hammerhead) & grey reef
5) Not horrendously expensive (i.e. 1000 US per person for 4 days diving)
6) In Season (January)
7) Has large stocks of beer
8) Warm and sunny

I had been considering Sipidan but have heard the weather can be dodgy in Jan (???) - anyone any insights?

World's best in macro: Lembeh Strait, North Sulawesi, Indonesia.
But no chance seeing hammerheads. In january also difficult to visit the spots with sharks and tuna. However some good places for barracuda and now and then turttles and eagle rays.
Divecenters: SDQ, Kungkungan Bay Resort. Lemebh Resort and ours: Divers Lodge Lembeh: gb.diving-on-sulawesi.com
Cheap, best guides and lots of cold beer.

You can consider Bohol. It meets all you requirements. Hammerheads would depend on your luck though.

To dive sipadan you can stay at Malbu; Kapalai or on the island of Sipadan(I hope i spell them right). Malbu are for macro and Sipadan have all the big things. Distance between the 2 islands around 30 min. speedboat and yes, in Jan the weather can be a bit rough.
The Sipadan water village in Malbu is a very nice resort with water bugalow but cost more than 250us per day. A cheaper choice is to stay on Sipadan(I don't remember the name and the rate of the resort but you can check it out with Borneo Diver). People at both resort are very friendy.
Coral is not as good as it should be but the fish life still very healthy.
Sipadan is now very safe because police sationed now in the island after that kipnapp happened a few years ago

Thanks for the advice - plumped for Burma in the end, and broke my my not a liveaboard stipulation

Chris

Considering your several requirements, I would suggest Bali for your destination, specifically Secret Bay (Gilimanuk) you would find dragonnet and seahorse there. The other good site for macro is Tulamben, pygmy seahorse is not uncommon here. Before the flood, we can easily encounter ghost pipefish, however now they move somewhere.
For pelagic? Uhm, Gili Selang (reef shark & scalloped hammerhead shark), Gili Tepekong and Nusa Penida (molamola).
Bali is one of the place to find the cheapest beer in the world.
Expensive? No! It is ranged between USD 50 to USD 110 per person for 2 dives, including boat, lunch and transfer to your hotel. But this depends on the boat condition and spec. The better the boat, the more expensive you pay.
For more info you can see comprehensive detail about diving sites in Bali or thread about Bali.

cmdasia once bubbled...
I have a group trip to arrange at the end of January and was wondering where other posters would recommend to fit the following profile:

1) Not a liveboard
2) NOT in Thailand
3) Very good Macro life (Frog fish & pipefish esp.)
4) large pelagic possibilities (esp scallop hammerhead) & grey reef
5) Not horrendously expensive (i.e. 1000 US per person for 4 days diving)
6) In Season (January)
7) Has large stocks of beer
8) Warm and sunny

I had been considering Sipidan but have heard the weather can be dodgy in Jan (???) - anyone any insights?

I would suggest Bali for your dive destination. You can make Muck diving in Secret (Gilimanuk) Bay and Tulamben. Make wreck diving in Menjangan, Tulamben and Lipah bay and see big animal / pelagic in Gili selang, Tepekong and Nusa Penida.
For price, I thing Bali is the cheapest one. Depend your dive location one day dive trip around US$ 65 t0 US$ 100, that including 2 dives, dive gear, transpost, boat and lunch

8er Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom