Trip Report Galapagos on the Calipso Liveaboard-January 20th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peeweediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just returned to 10 inches of snow around Chicago from a week on the Calypso Liveaboard. Much has been written about both the islands and the boat. See a pair of video posts about a trip on the Calipso that are very informative. I'll just add some additional thoughts that may be helpful. First, half of the group stayed for 4 nights in Quito and had a great time seeing the city, the churches and museums. Try the Hotel Ecuatreasures in the historic district. Great place and amazingly helpful family ownership. On to Galapagos:
La Nina had a big impact on this trip. Water temps were 5-7 degrees colder than usual for the "wet season" (Dec-June) which is supposed to have warmer water temps, better vis and calmer seas than the "dry" season, but no whale sharks. Viz was also quite limited. All of us were really looking forward to the "wall of hammerheads" in Wolf and Darwin and only got silhouettes of some hammers. Milllions may have been back there, but we couldn't see them. Seas weren't bad, but it took a few days for folks to adjust to the diving we were presented with rather than the diving we hoped for. That's life with the ocean, eh?
We had arranged for the boat to do a different itinerary than normal for the wet season. We went down to see the Mola and the marine iguanas. Only a shadow of a Mola but the marine iguanas were a true highlight of the trip. What a blast to watch these creatures eat, move about and swim.
We all ended happy about the trip because of two things. We layered up with everything we had to be as warm as possible. For the central islands and the Marine Iguanas, I wore a 7mm, a long sleeved sharkskin, 3mm hooded vest, a short sleeve lavacore and a beanie and a second 2 mm hood on top of the hooded vest. At Wolf and Darwin, I did not wear extra hoods and no second undergarment. Temps as follows: The Central Islands 69-72F, Wolf and Darwin 74-75F, Marine Iguanas 60F. Second, at Darwin we realized that turning around from watching what was suppose to be a parade of sharks allowed us to see the top of the reef where there were huge schools of amazing fish. Biggest school of Mexican goatfish I ever saw. Also, one or two hammers would come across the top of the reef and be close and pretty clear. So, for or second half of the second day and the third day up there (stayed two days at Darwin instead of one and a half because it was warmer and clearer than Wolf) we'd spend 10 minutes looking out to the grey then move up to swim with and see wonderful fish life and better hammer viewing. Also, great and close up views one or two hammers and huge, almost disorienting schools of fish on the accents to the safety stop. On one accent 4 hammers drifted within 10 feet of me and on another a large school of eagle rays swam with us. We learned one big lesson: turn around and see what's behind you...it could be better than anything you were supposed to be watching. The dive guides agreed and we really enjoyed the last day and a half at Darwin.
The boat is really nice. The dining tables are in one big salon with couches and a bar area with waist to ceiling windows for great viewing and light. Rooms have plenty of space and the same waist to ceiling windows across the whole wall. Dive deck is spacious and the top deck has lounge chairs and a jacuzzi that a few people used. We ate at long tables on the top deck one day. A bit noisy and rocky but our group was quite pleased with the boat. The crew was amazing. They were all on the dive deck to help you dress and undress the many layers we had on. It was like being in a shoe store as they would be at your feet if they thought you needed help with socks or booties and as you disembarked from the panga it was like a gauntlet with folks unzipping and starting to get your wet suit off. It wasn't creepy or overdone and you could always so "no, gracias" if you had it under control. Food was good (buffet style) and snacks after dives and at 5:00 pm were great. Cooked to order eggs every morning with pancakes or French toast to go with it. Hot chocolate or tea offered after every day. The best part: Your own numbered hot towel wrapped around you when you were ready after taking off the wet stuff. It was delightful.
What we learned: This is a group from our local dive shop and we had been on a liveaboard with all of them at some point in the past. When it seemed our dream, an expensive dream, was lost, we took turns bucking each other up and worked with the dive guides to change the dives to be wonderful. It's easy to fall into the "I paid all this for THIS", but it helps when the group works some group psychology to realize, the ocean makes its own rules, and there is really cool stuff down there no matter what.

Rob

Glad to you got to enjoy the Galapagos! Sorry to hear there was disappointment, but glad to still had a good time. The amount of marine life in places is impressive, and I'm glad you got to see that. My trip was on the Humboldt Explorer (really liked it), so I've never done the Calypso, but the Calypso seems to be a boat that keeps getting recent (and always good) reviews on ScubaBoard. No small thing, since there are quite a number of boats to choose from.

Richard.

I have been to Galapagos twice. Five years ago in December and last year in august. Never saw any large schools of hammerheads. However, one of my favorite trips for unique biodiversity. Saw whale sharks, mola mola , penguins in water, mantas, etc. Last august very cold in my 7 mm with hood. I recommend elsewhere if main concern is large schools of hammers

We just returned to 10 inches of snow around Chicago from a week on the Calypso Liveaboard. Much has been written about both the islands and the boat. See a pair of video posts about a trip on the Calipso that are very informative. I'll just add some additional thoughts that may be helpful. First, half of the group stayed for 4 nights in Quito and had a great time seeing the city, the churches and museums. Try the Hotel Ecuatreasures in the historic district. Great place and amazingly helpful family ownership. On to Galapagos:
La Nina had a big impact on this trip. Water temps were 5-7 degrees colder than usual for the "wet season" (Dec-June) which is supposed to have warmer water temps, better vis and calmer seas than the "dry" season, but no whale sharks. Viz was also quite limited. All of us were really looking forward to the "wall of hammerheads" in Wolf and Darwin and only got silhouettes of some hammers. Milllions may have been back there, but we couldn't see them. Seas weren't bad, but it took a few days for folks to adjust to the diving we were presented with rather than the diving we hoped for. That's life with the ocean, eh?
We had arranged for the boat to do a different itinerary than normal for the wet season. We went down to see the Mola and the marine iguanas. Only a shadow of a Mola but the marine iguanas were a true highlight of the trip. What a blast to watch these creatures eat, move about and swim.
We all ended happy about the trip because of two things. We layered up with everything we had to be as warm as possible. For the central islands and the Marine Iguanas, I wore a 7mm, a long sleeved sharkskin, 3mm hooded vest, a short sleeve lavacore and a beanie and a second 2 mm hood on top of the hooded vest. At Wolf and Darwin, I did not wear extra hoods and no second undergarment. Temps as follows: The Central Islands 69-72F, Wolf and Darwin 74-75F, Marine Iguanas 60F. Second, at Darwin we realized that turning around from watching what was suppose to be a parade of sharks allowed us to see the top of the reef where there were huge schools of amazing fish. Biggest school of Mexican goatfish I ever saw. Also, one or two hammers would come across the top of the reef and be close and pretty clear. So, for or second half of the second day and the third day up there (stayed two days at Darwin instead of one and a half because it was warmer and clearer than Wolf) we'd spend 10 minutes looking out to the grey then move up to swim with and see wonderful fish life and better hammer viewing. Also, great and close up views one or two hammers and huge, almost disorienting schools of fish on the accents to the safety stop. On one accent 4 hammers drifted within 10 feet of me and on another a large school of eagle rays swam with us. We learned one big lesson: turn around and see what's behind you...it could be better than anything you were supposed to be watching. The dive guides agreed and we really enjoyed the last day and a half at Darwin.
The boat is really nice. The dining tables are in one big salon with couches and a bar area with waist to ceiling windows for great viewing and light. Rooms have plenty of space and the same waist to ceiling windows across the whole wall. Dive deck is spacious and the top deck has lounge chairs and a jacuzzi that a few people used. We ate at long tables on the top deck one day. A bit noisy and rocky but our group was quite pleased with the boat. The crew was amazing. They were all on the dive deck to help you dress and undress the many layers we had on. It was like being in a shoe store as they would be at your feet if they thought you needed help with socks or booties and as you disembarked from the panga it was like a gauntlet with folks unzipping and starting to get your wet suit off. It wasn't creepy or overdone and you could always so "no, gracias" if you had it under control. Food was good (buffet style) and snacks after dives and at 5:00 pm were great. Cooked to order eggs every morning with pancakes or French toast to go with it. Hot chocolate or tea offered after every day. The best part: Your own numbered hot towel wrapped around you when you were ready after taking off the wet stuff. It was delightful.
What we learned: This is a group from our local dive shop and we had been on a liveaboard with all of them at some point in the past. When it seemed our dream, an expensive dream, was lost, we took turns bucking each other up and worked with the dive guides to change the dives to be wonderful. It's easy to fall into the "I paid all this for THIS", but it helps when the group works some group psychology to realize, the ocean makes its own rules, and there is really cool stuff down there no matter what.

Rob
I was on this trip too, and I wasn’t at all disappointed. We’ll, maybe a bit by the viz, which was sometimes pretty murky. Maybe my expectations weren’t as high; I was so glad that we all made it there at all! But we saw everything I had hoped to see, even through the murk, and if the sharks didn’t appear in large numbers, there were so many other things to look at, in every direction. it was a great trip!

Deborah

Not to take away from original post - but are you really cold natured (with a 7mm suit and those temps). Or is it in combination with air temps that time of year.
Looking at trying to go and debating on wetsuit choices.
Been diving locally here in 65 - 72 with a 3mil, sharkskin shirt and shorts and hood and after 3rd dive a day I am a little chilled .. but I’d much rather be a little cool than sweating my rear off.

How bad were the currents?

Air temps were warm. I get cold easy and hate being cold...in or out of the water. That's just me. One of the women on our trip dove with a 3 mm and was happy. Everyone else was in a 7 mm. The marine iguana dive was 59 degrees and can get down to lower 50s, so that's the outlier. I think you'll be fine in what you wear locally given your cold tolerance. Currents were not bad. Usually, the conditions change from June to the beginning of December. Water is a bit colder and seas a bit rougher, but due to La Nina, who knows what it will be like. The crew said the water temps for our trip were more like the June to December time frame. It is two very distinct seasons from all I've read and talking to the crew.
You can always throw on a rental shortie if you get too cold in your local outfit. Have a great trip.

Rob

@DXHI

I was in Galapagos April/May. Water temps were 63-77. I was very comfortable in my full 7 mm +/- a 5/3 mm hooded vest. The older I get, the less well I tolerate being cold. Many divers on the boat got quite chilled, even shivering, with repetitive dives and at the colder sites. Exposure protection is a personal choice.

My trip to Galapagos was fantastic, one of the two or three best ever. You pay your money and take your chances Trip Report - Galapagos Aggressor III April 26-May 3, 2018

Just to clarify my trip report...Just because I'm a baby and hate being cold and I didn't get to see the "wall of hammerheads" I'd hoped for doesn't mean I didn't think the trip was awesome. Schools of fish so thick that I actually got a bit disoriented on a couple of accents. Four hammerheads strolled past me on an accent like they were out for a Sunday walk. Marine iguanas feeding and swimming around underwater are so cool. Tons of fun playing with sea lions. Great boat, great crew and great trip pals with me. So, if I didn't say it enough in my report above...a great trip!

I wore a 7- mm suit, and added a lavacore vest at the chillier sites. I froze on the marine iguana dive but otherwise I was fine. I have a bit more bioprene than Peeweediver!
I was reviewing my dive log and trip journal the other day—it really was an amazing trip!

Thanks for your report, sorry it wasn't everything you wanted it to be. For the amount of price and effort it takes to get there I definitely know the feeling.

I was there over xmas last year and we did see lots of hammers (but no mantas in manta season and no molas- viz was so bad you could barely see your hand in front of you on the mola dive), but yeah they didn't come as close as I thought they would. The land animals lets you get so close I guess we were spoiled haha. But the parrotfishes and reef fishes kept getting in my face and ruining a bunch of hammer shots lol

It was super cold when we were there too, 16C (~60F?) at all the sites outside of Darwin/Wolf which was 25C. I layered an absurd amount too - bought a 7mm full, 3mm vest, 3mm hood, and lavacore top - then had to add a rental 3mm shorty, and another guest gave me his 3mm hooded vest out of pity. I thought March and April would've warmed up a bit (that's when we had originally planned to go pre-covid) but El Nina changes all that. After that I've made up my mind to only dive 20C or warmer until I get a dry suit.

Back
Top Bottom